Vespa ET2 Problem
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
ET2
Sun May 12, 2019 8:21 am quote
I have a 2001 Vespa ET2. It starts fine and I am able to ride it for about one or two miles before it acts like it is running out of gas then it stalls. I am able to restart it after it sits for about two minutes then the process repeats itself by riding for another two miles before it acts like it is running out of gas and stalls.
I took the carburetor apart, cleaned it and installed a new air filter and it did not fix the problem. I was thinking the fuel tap might not be working correctly. Thank you for your help.
Ossessionato
Sun May 12, 2019 11:02 am quote
Did you change out your fuel and vacuum lines?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 / GT60 (X2)/ ET4 (X2)/ ET2/ 78 P200/ 67 Sprint/ 09 GTS/ 03 Ruckus/ 13 946/ 16 Prima 70/ 15 Sprint
Sun May 12, 2019 12:11 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
This

Carb overhaul must be perfect
Fuel lines
Vacuum lines
Fuel tap replace
Intake boot check for cracks
Fresh gas

Have fun!

SDG
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, BV250, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 pm quote
If you open the gas cap immediately does it start? Could be tank venting issue as well.
Lurker
ET2
Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 am quote
Tierney wrote:
I did not change out the fuel and vacuum lines. They looked good to me but I will change them out. Thank you.
Lurker
ET2
Thu May 23, 2019 9:03 am quote
SDG wrote:
Tierney wrote:
This

Carb overhaul must be perfect
Fuel lines
Vacuum lines
Fuel tap replace
Intake boot check for cracks
Fresh gas

Have fun!

SDG
Any suggestions on a carb overhaul? I just took the carb apart removed the jets and cleaned everything with carb cleaner.
I am the owner of the scooter since 2001 and I change the fuel tap once because it was staying open. I will install a new one to see if that fixes the problem. Boot looked good but will check again.
Lurker
ET2
Thu May 23, 2019 9:10 am quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
If you open the gas cap immediately does it start? Could be tank venting issue as well.
When the scooter stalls I will open the gas cap immediately and see if it starts. In my shop manual under trouble shoot for a problem like this it says there could be a problem with the two way value. I don't know what the two way value is. Thank you.
2003 Vespa ET2
Thu May 23, 2019 9:18 am quote
1 - carb cleaning..take the jets out and be sure if you hold them up to the light that you can see thru them
2 - airbox connection - be sure this is on there good...you might have a crack thats letting air in...also take a look at your intake (connects the carb to the motor)...this is rubber..mine cracked at some point
3 - spark plug....pull it out and take a look..i wonder if its fouling...trying a new plug can help...be sure the connection from the plug wire is solid

also pay special attention to the electric choke on the carb when cleaning/dissembling ...perhaps its sticking

i would take it easy when it comes to replacing parts..you have had it running well for a long time so i bet its a very simple fix
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, BV250, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 am quote
It sounds like the carb bowl is slow filling. Either hoses, petcock or sticky float. I wouldn't suspect an air leak the scooter runs fine for 1-2 miles and is good after a the 2 minutes it takes for the bowl to fill. What was the result of opening the fuel cap?
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.8930s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1470s) ][ Debug on ]