New GTS 300 stalling?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 300
Sun May 12, 2019 1:41 pm quote
Went for a ride earlier today. In Florida, so not a cold weather issue. Anyway, started up no problem. Waited for 30 seconds or so, drive away, drove 1.5 blocks, went to make a left turn (from a complete stop) and hit the throttle and didn't go anywhere. Thought maybe I shut it off by mistake somehow so didn't think much of it.

Anyway, drove about 35 miles without any further issues, went to visit my business partner, parked for about an hour, a little over. When I parked, I shut it off, and I hear a weird humming noise from the engine bay, but it's intermittent, maybe every 2-3 seconds, doesn't sound like a fan. Go inside, like I said about an hour later I leave. Start up, no issue, but it stalled while I was idling. Started again no issue, pulled away, approximately 50 feet, waited for the gate to lift, pulled up another 20 feet, she stalled again. Tried turning her over, sputtered a bit, but started and stalled immediately again. Turned over again, and was fine for the 25 minute ride home.

This morning I started with 462 miles, now I'm slightly over 500, around 520. Took her for a quick spin about 2 hours after, no issues. Going to go again in a few.

I've always felt this engine idled a little rough for my liking. I have my 600 mile service tomorrow anyway (planned on driving a lot more today), but just curious what you guys think it might be. Using proper fuel, 93 octane (as per dealers rec) using the same gas station that I've used for years for my car without any issues, Shell, if that matters.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun May 12, 2019 2:29 pm quote
Idle issue - get a re-map done when it's serviced.

That noise you heard as it cooled down:
FAQ: Why does my GTS groan/moan/moo or fart when off?
GTS 300
Sun May 12, 2019 4:43 pm quote
Thank you!!! Figured it may have been an idle issue, but that weird noise threw me off.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Mon May 13, 2019 1:04 am quote
Skootin, it's not uncommon to encounter a stalling issue during the first few hundred miles of break in. It affect lots of bikes of different makes. Lots of reasons for this. This can be due to the motor being very tight; or minor debris in the fuel picked up from the tank or filter system left in at the factory. Even small metal particles from the running in process in the cylinder shorting the plug can occur. I once removed the spark plug from a new motor after just 250 miles to find a collection of debris on the electrode causing the spark to be very weak. That caused erratic idle for the owner.

One other issue that can cause this problem is new owners not waiting for the ecu to boot up properly before hitting the starter button. The ecu then doesn't fully load all the engine running parameters causing it to stall more often. It tends to be noticeable on new engines that are already prone to stalling anyway due to the fact the engine is tight and needs the ecu to assist more than usual with the idling function through the automatic idle control unit. So turn on ignition, wait for fuel pump to prime, just a couple of seconds or three, then push the starter button. All parameters will then have loaded and she should start and idle fine unless it's one of the other issue mentioned above in the first paragraph. Of course, never open the throttle during the start up routine. This will cause the engine start to fail and upset the AIC (automatic idle control). Of course, even the AIC can be a bit sluggish on new bikes due to everything being new and a bit tight. Usually if that's the case it corrects itself as the miles go on the bike, usually!

As Jim says above, the noises you get after turning off are common and normal. All modern bikes do that now.

I don't think there is a new map for the 2019 bikes so I doubt that will help. Of course as a last resort the ecu can be 're-flashed' with the existing map to make sure there are no errors/glitches with the software. But that shouldn't be required and I doubt is the issue. So of course tell your dealer, and if it keeps happening then they'll find the issue. They will scan the bike ecu for faults anyway as part of the first service so that may tell them something. Please let us all know what they find and how it goes after the service.

Cheers and have fun!
GTS 300
Mon May 13, 2019 3:02 am quote
Thank you Storm, lots of great information. I don't believe that I started it prior to the fully loading, but that's definitely a possibility. Normally I turn the ignition on, pop my glove box and stow my work cell, close it, then mount my personal cell phone on the ram mount kit, then start. But come to think of it yesterday, I don't recall if I did that both times when this happened.

First time was early morning and I was omw to Dunkin, which is literally a two minute ride, if not one minute. I may not have set my phone up and just placed it in my pocket, along with my business phone. After leaving my business partner's house yesterday, I was definitely in a hurry and I do remember pulling over after leaving his house to stop and set my phone up.

I will definitely be more cognizant of my start up process. Going in for service today, I will report back with Vespa's response and/or their solution.
GTS 300
Tue May 14, 2019 2:15 pm quote
I'm actually going for 600 mile service tomorrow morning. Today was bad. I made sure I paid attention, and waited to start. Anyway, stalled about 7 times in a row, including once when I was actually moving, slowing down, but when I hit the throttle it was stalled and I had to pull over.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am quote
Skootin wrote:
I'm actually going for 600 mile service tomorrow morning. Today was bad. I made sure I paid attention, and waited to start. Anyway, stalled about 7 times in a row, including once when I was actually moving, slowing down, but when I hit the throttle it was stalled and I had to pull over.
Flip your kill switch on and off a few times.
GTS 300
Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 am quote
Was my fault. Gas overflowed into that reservoir, they emptied it. Just have to remember that I only need about 1.5 gallons of gas to fill it. Lol.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed May 15, 2019 11:44 am quote
Skootin wrote:
Was my fault. Gas overflowed into that reservoir, they emptied it. Just have to remember that I only need about 1.5 gallons of gas to fill it. Lol.
Remove that Evap Crap and it won't happen again.
GTS 300
Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm quote
Didn't even know the damn thing existed until today. So much to learn.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 pm quote
Great news you have had the issue fixed. On my side of the pond we don't have the EVAP system. I'd forgotten what a pain they can sometime be!
Hooked
2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm quote
What is the evap??
GTS 300
Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm quote
I think it's a USA thing. If you spill/overflow gas it goes into this container to save the environment. Causes issues.
Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). GT 200 - Kymco Yager 200i
Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm quote
The Evap system is a series of hoses and a charcoal canister installed to prevent gasoline vapors from leaking into the atmosphere. The problem with the Vespa design is that if you overfill the tank, liquid gasoline can go down the hose and into the canister. The canister can only deal with vaporized gasoline and you have a problem.
Jim has been preaching to us Yanks to do just that; yank the system out and the problem will be solved. He is correct. Cars have the same system and given that many states have emission testing, ripping out the system in a car would cause it to fail. No emissions testing of motorcycles in any state that I am aware of.
For the record, I have never touched the evap system on either of our GTS scooters. They may well be the cause of the very infrequent stalling over all of these years and miles, but Iíve never been stuck because of it. Just too lazy to give it the heave-ho.
But, having traveled with Jim multi-week scooter trips and gotten to know him, there is no one I would trust more for Vespa advice than he.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2380s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0411s) ][ Debug on ]