Corsa seat gap. Fixes??
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
Owned Vespa Rally 200, V90, Li150 series II...now a PX200
Mon May 13, 2019 12:48 am quote
I love the look of the corsa seat. To my eyes the proportions of the slope and the body are perfect and the price is right compared to other slope back seat options out there.

The only thing I don't love is that gap.

I have one sitting on my PX right now. I've tried to go through older threads to see if there are any fixes. Only one I came across from Tierney, but he doesn't go through enough detail.

I don't need it to sit flush, but I'd like to close the gap a little. Without the seat pin it sits closer and is more acceptable. From what I can see the rear pin is the only thing holding up the seat.

Does anyone know if there is a shorter M8 seat seat pin? Currently using the one that comes with the sip rear adapter.

Another option that might help is if anyone knows of or knows someone who can fabricate another rear adapter plate?

The one that sip sent out is not great quality. I've already had someone cut of the things that stick out of the sides since I have the gas sensor and the little wing things were in the way. I also had to have the hole re-thread as it was to small.

Problem is that it's flat, so when it's mounted, it sits at a slant from the top of the gas tank to where the original seat pin would sit. That cause the seat pin to sit a little higher.

I was thinking of one that is stepped so that it sits flush to the body.

Any other ideas welcome.

Sip adapter

SoCalGuy's bike were you can really see the gap.

Tierney's bike with a more acceptable gap.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 am quote
I see what you mean. Do you have access to a big vise and large hammer? Time for some modest but forceful metal persuasion.

And yes, there are different length seat pins, look here: http://www.scootermercato.com/Home?search=seat+pin
Enthusiast
Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
I see what you mean. Do you have access to a big vise and large hammer? Time for some modest but forceful metal persuasion.

And yes, there are different length seat pins, look here: http://www.scootermercato.com/Home?search=seat+pin
Not too many tools or even a garage for that matter. I have no objections to having to bend things, but I don't even know where to begin.

I think most of the shorter seat pins are M7 size and not M8?
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 am quote
Yeah the gap bugs me too, but the seat's comfy so I haven't messed with it.

It's not the rear pin causing the gap, it's the location of the hinge pin on the front mounting bracket. If it's moved about 1/2" closer to the seat, the whole seat will sit lower. The latch in the back has to be modified too. Doable with some drilling n grinding.

hinge.jpg

Enthusiast
Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Yeah the gap bugs me too, but the seat's comfy so I haven't messed with it.

It's not the rear pin causing the gap, it's the location of the hinge pin on the front mounting bracket. If it's moved about 1/2" closer to the seat, the whole seat will sit lower. The latch in the back has to be modified too. Doable with some drilling n grinding.
I was thinking about that too. Guess I'll live with for a little bit since I don't have the proper resources.

Edit: Also I was thinking a shorter seat pin because I can't see any other place holding the rear up.
Hooked
Vespa P200E
Thu May 16, 2019 6:28 am quote
Phangtonpower wrote:
Edit: Also I was thinking a shorter seat pin because I can't see any other place holding the rear up.
It's been many years since I had my P200E with this seat, but if my memory is right, a shorter seat pin won't help. The rear of the seat rests on two rubber feet that rest on the bracket, on the those two tabs sticking out at each side of the threaded seat pin hole.

The gap doesn't look all that bad from most angles, but lower would look nicer.
Perhaps one could use a short seat pin, and cut off the two tabs on the bracket, letting the rubber feet rest on the tank? Or maybe you can fit shorter rubber feet?

I do remember thinking that it's a pretty comfortable seat. Not squishy or springy, but by no means a plank with a little foam on it either. Ergonomically it put me in a posture that was just right for my taste.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Wed May 22, 2019 1:36 am quote
mathias wrote:
Perhaps one could use a short seat pin, and cut off the two tabs on the bracket, letting the rubber feet rest on the tank? Or maybe you can fit shorter rubber feet?
I agree with the not so great looking "gap". Has anyone tried shorter rubber feet?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Wed May 22, 2019 1:47 am quote
stealth
Phangtonpower wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

Not too many tools or even a garage for that matter. I have no objections to having to bend things, but I don't even know where to begin.

I think most of the shorter seat pins are M7 size and not M8?
If you're short on tools and access to modifying the frame, how about gluing some black auto door weather stripping around the bottom, inset just inside the bottom edge? I think there's lots of variety available. Do a neat job and the seat should close snug with no visual gap. If you can get Shoe Goo there to glue it, it's tough enough to do the job and removable without a trace if you change your mind.
Ossessionato
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:07 am quote
Spent some time in the garage yesterday lowering the seat.

First, I was wrong, hinge pin doesnít need to be relocated.

The problem is the cross piece in the back that holds the latch. It has a lip that has to be trimmed off. To do that, the lever has to be removed (itís riveted on) then reinstalled later with a bolt. The bottom of the seat then has to be hammered so it clears the top of the fuel lid. Finally, the ďearsĒ on the adapter that holds the pin have to be cut off so the rubber feet rest directly on the frame.

It took some work, but thereís almost no gap now.

B21B9BD9-BAA8-4A56-A8B4-BA6090AC2A2E.jpeg

Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:28 am quote
Nice work - looks perfect!
Molto Verboso

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:48 am quote
Looks super clean. Nice work Guy!
Enthusiast
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Spent some time in the garage yesterday lowering the seat.

First, I was wrong, hinge pin doesnít need to be relocated.

The problem is the cross piece in the back that holds the latch. It has a lip that has to be trimmed off. To do that, the lever has to be removed (itís riveted on) then reinstalled later with a bolt. The bottom of the seat then has to be hammered so it clears the top of the fuel lid. Finally, the ďearsĒ on the adapter that holds the pin have to be cut off so the rubber feet rest directly on the frame.

It took some work, but thereís almost no gap now.
Man I just had the hinge lowered!! I also ordered a shorter seat pin, so I was gonna wait to post pictures.

It does sit lower, but there is still the gap in the back. for shits and giggles, I had the seat sitting on frame without the front hinge and the seat pin off, it still had a noticeable gap.

Can you share pictures of under the seat. I'd love to see where you trimmed the latch hole and where you hammered the area for the gas cap.
Ossessionato
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:04 pm quote
Pm me Iíll walk u thru it.
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '64 V90
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:04 pm quote
The pin holds the seat down, not up. If it's too short, it will not catch the latch.
Enthusiast
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:14 pm quote
mathias wrote:
Phangtonpower wrote:
It's been many years since I had my P200E with this seat, but if my memory is right, a shorter seat pin won't help. The rear of the seat rests on two rubber feet that rest on the bracket, on the those two tabs sticking out at each side of the threaded seat pin hole.

The gap doesn't look all that bad from most angles, but lower would look nicer.

I do remember thinking that it's a pretty comfortable seat. Not squishy or springy, but by no means a plank with a little foam on it either. Ergonomically it put me in a posture that was just right for my taste.
The tabs were the first thing cut off as they are in the way for the sensor. I also had to remove the rubber foot on that side as it hit the sensor. The other rubber foot doesn't even touch the frame, so that's why I was thinking a shorter seat pin.

I had the hinge lowered about 13mm and that helped and waiting on the seat pin to see if that will do anything. In the mean time I'm gonna PM SoCal to see what he did.
Enthusiast
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm quote
Moto64 wrote:
The pin holds the seat down, not up. If it's too short, it will not catch the latch.
Your probably right. Ordered one anyway. Cheap enough to experiment with though.
Ossessionato
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:43 pm quote
If your seatís like the one I have, you donít need a shorter pin.
Enthusiast
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm quote
This is what I have done so far.

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4755.JPG
You can see the rubber foot doesn't touch the frame.

IMG_4756.JPG
Repositioned hinge.

IMG_4757.JPG
And rear seat pin adapter.

Enthusiast
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 am quote
Moto64 wrote:
Just checked with the seat pin off. It definitely rides a lot lower.

When is say shorter seat pin, I mean this.

VESPA-PX-PE-P200E-T5-PX125-PX150-M8.jpg

download.jpg
Vs this. SIP ships with one similar that is already cut to where it only has 2 or 3 threads and it bottoms out. I just have to cut the threads the right height on the shorter one. I have more room to play with. It will still probably be a few threads hol

Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 2.7041s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1973s) ][ Debug on ]