Vespa 2 up ??.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
None
Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm quote
Would you buy a GTS300(maybe HPE) if you always rode 2 up on the back roads(mostly)in the Tn,Ky,Al. areas,always just day trips, leisurely pace,nearly always at or about the posted speed limit,so mostly 55 maybe 65.?
Or would you prefer something a bit bigger(maybe a C400X).

I'm 74 wifes just a touch older ,combined weight of about 330lbs,i'm 5'9" wife's 5'4"we do look a bit cozy on the GTS(on the cycle ergo matchstick man site),but we still don't mind being a "bit" cozy .

Seriously I would love a Vespa before I hang my boots up, but I just can't convince myself it's quite big enough.
What do you Ladies & Gentlemen think ?.
Cheers,Graham.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon May 13, 2019 12:18 pm quote
Cozy would be splendid! Do it!
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 pm quote
Absolutely!!! You might want to invest in a top case with a back rest on it. Possibly rider peg extenders. A performance pipe wouldn't hurt.

The HPE have enough added torque and HP to make it worthwhile.

There IS consideration into looking into the Piaggeo BV 350 and or 500. Larger wheel base on both models.

In the end, see if you can test ride with both of you and whatever "feels" better go with but the 300HPE SHOULD be enough to meet your needs with plenty of smiles per mile!
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Mon May 13, 2019 12:59 pm quote
Depends
The always correct answer in aviation and motoring-it depends.

Check the weight rating for the GTS-you're at the top end.

Then, it depends on:

-what kind of speeds do you need to maintain (55-60 you say)?

-how hilly is the terrain?

-how good are the roads (for bumpiness and passenger comfort)?

Some feedback on MV says the passenger pegs on the GTS crowd the driver's legs a bit.

I'm 250lbs, and my 2010 GTS runs out of juice at about 65 (GPS) if I hit any kind of uphill. On the flat, it'll hit 70, but that's about it.

So, what you're proposing, leisurely cruising two up on country roads, should be entirely doable on a GTS 300, but a bigger scooter (used Majesty or Burgman 400) would give you more reserve power and a much bigger seat.

My GTS is more fun to ride solo than my Majesty was, but there's no question in my mind that the bigger scooter would have been better two up.

Just my .02.
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm quote
I always found my GTS very comfortable however my wife never enjoyed the seating position as a passenger. I was something about the seating position with legs wide but feet tapered in and all the weight on her spine. Why not just buy another Vespa for her
Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 pm quote
My wife and I (roughly 300lbs combined) ride two-up on my GT200 and can cruise at 65 all day. A GTS -- HPE or not -- would be plenty for what you are describing, power-wise.

Regarding comfort, I second what Sacto suggested - a topcase with backrest and footpeg extensions are worth their weight in gold (especially the latter).
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon May 13, 2019 3:55 pm quote
everytimeidom wrote:
My wife and I (roughly 300lbs combined) ride two-up on my GT200 and can cruise at 65 all day. A GTS -- HPE or not -- would be plenty for what you are describing, power-wise.

Regarding comfort, I second what Sacto suggested - a topcase with backrest and footpeg extensions are worth their weight in gold (especially the latter).
I triple it. Definitely want the top case with backrest and less important but very handy the extenders.

Depending what you are coming from you will notice a difference in pulling away from a stop but in no way is it bad. My wife much prefers our other bike for pillion but has no issue getting on the Vespa and we do take it out a fair amount.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm quote
We come in at about 330lb combined - and two-up on a GTS is fine. No problems with acceleration or top speed. However, without the top-case and backrest it'd be far less comfy for Mrs jimc. We've not gone that far two-up (except for a trip around the Amalfi coast while my GT was in a workshop in Cava de Terreni) but we do do it on a regular basis if going out to lunch or whatever. I've not tried the extenders, but I bet they'd improve things a lot.
Ossessionato
Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm quote
No problem with acceleration is the truth but if someone is coming from say a Godwing or R1200RT they WILL notice a difference. It's all relative and that's the honest truth from someone that does ride with a pillion on different sized biked. I certainly notice the difference and we weigh in at about 330ish lbs.
Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Mon May 13, 2019 5:34 pm quote
I tried this for a while with my wife on my GT200. Same size as the GTS. It didn't work out very well. I replaced my Vespa with a Burgman 400. Much better for two-up riding. The Vespa was cramped with two adults.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm quote
While the Burgman 400 has alot more room for two up it is significantly heavier and bulkier. Of all the scoots we've owned it was the one my son liked riding pillion on the best The Vespa GTS does fine but the peg exttenders are needed for comfort if you are doing more than short distances I think it is Turkman who posted a multi-day ride two up with his wife. I also have riddenith people on GTS with significantly more weight than your 330 lb combined weight who had no issues maintaining rte speeds you are talking about on the older 250s. We've ridden two up in the Rockies on a Sports City 250 with the same engine as the GTS 250 and had no problems maintaining 60-65 even uphill with combined weight including a full mailbox closer to 360 lbs.

Course given your earlier post bout your wife's reaction to a Vespa it might become a non issue if she decides to ride her own.
Enthusiast
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Mon May 13, 2019 7:18 pm quote
My wife hated the passenger area on the GTS and went as far as refusing to even take a test ride on the back! If your dealer lets you do test rides, take your other half and take it for a longer ride! I had a SYM CityCom and I never noticed my wife coulnt reach the passenger floor with her feet. She never said anything! So now I make 100% sure she is comfortable on the back before buying any scooter.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon May 13, 2019 9:27 pm quote
Cozy is a good word - it is that compared to larger scooters.

This also means that the pillion sits at the same level and very close to you. I know some would prefer a tad higher position and more space in between to be able to see better - but some like it snug

In my late 125cc Sprint the position of pillion's feet without the footpeg extenders were a major complaint from my daughter, who hitchhiked a lift from me a few times.

For solo riding, it's hard to beat the comfortability of a Vespa, nice seat, natural position of legs, arms and wrists in a relaxed position.. easy to climb on-board.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Tue May 14, 2019 1:27 am quote
The GTS is excellent for what the op wants, BUT, his wife is 5'4". That makes reaching the passenger foot pegs more of a challenge. Extensions will help. You need to try one out to be sure your wife is comfortable.

The HPE is much more powerful than even the standard GTS so I wouldn't worry about power. I ride big bikes and have owned many, I still find the GTS one of the most engaging and exciting machines to ride. It'll do most things well, passenger or not.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 am quote
The seating layout on the original Vespas was designed to be "cosy" I don't think it has changed much. Good if you are young and single maybe not so much if you are not.
Hooked
2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 am quote
Surely it is comfortable for two!

Get footpeg extenders

A2E827C7-64C7-41C0-92BB-9FC617A0044B.jpeg

04E0888C-3734-41AB-B047-52F4B9936009.jpeg

None
Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 am quote
cdwise wrote:
While the Burgman 400 has alot more room for two up it is significantly heavier and bulkier. Of all the scoots we've owned it was the one my son liked riding pillion on the best The Vespa GTS does fine but the peg exttenders are needed for comfort if you are doing more than short distances I think it is Turkman who posted a multi-day ride two up with his wife. I also have riddenith people on GTS with significantly more weight than your 330 lb combined weight who had no issues maintaining rte speeds you are talking about on the older 250s. We've ridden two up in the Rockies on a Sports City 250 with the same engine as the GTS 250 and had no problems maintaining 60-65 even uphill with combined weight including a full mailbox closer to 360 lbs.

Course given your earlier post bout your wife's reaction to a Vespa it might become a non issue if she decides to ride her own.
Thanks, everyone for the replies,yes cdwise my wife is a "reluctant" partner in my desire to buy a Vespa,but she is at least now conceding that given our inceasing ages,a downsize from our Harley(FXDF),is probably a "sensible" move.
I've decided i'm going to go get a test ride on a GTS(if possible) & try & get her to actually take part .

ps,i have already made a thread about the pass. peg extenders,they will probably be a Must,also we're don't really care for the "detached passenger positions of some of the bigger bikes & maxi scooters,we tried a Burgman 650 & it felt like we could how fitted another person in between us & we don't want that
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm quote
Old Rocker wrote:
Thanks, everyone for the replies,yes cdwise my wife is a "reluctant" partner in my desire to buy a Vespa,but she is at least now conceding that given our inceasing ages,a downsize from our Harley(FXDF),is probably a "sensible" move.
I've decided i'm going to go get a test ride on a GTS(if possible) & try & get her to actually take part .

ps,i have already made a thread about the pass. peg extenders,they will probably be a Must,also we're don't really care for the "detached passenger positions of some of the bigger bikes & maxi scooters,we tried a Burgman 650 & it felt like we could how fitted another person in between us & we don't want that
Sounds like the crosier position two up on the Vespa would suit you better then.

My husband and I spent a few days riding a pair of rented Vespas in your area a couple years ago. You have some lovely place# to ride nearby.
Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 pm quote
Footpeg extenders great price $41.99 via Amazon, I just installed some...

Vespa GTS passenger footpeg extensions install and review

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV
Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 am quote
FWIW, my wife really likes the seating position of our new BV350 over our GTS 300 SS. She's 5-4 as well, and no passenger footpeg extensions required. I'm 5-10 and she really appreciates the higher seating position for the pillion on the BV for better viewing of the surrounding terrain.

BTW the top case with back rest intrudes more on the seating space on a GTS, than a Cupini back rest.

The additional power of the 350 will do everything you need on any incline.

Akro.jpg

BV3.jpg

Ossessionato
Wed May 15, 2019 8:18 am quote
Spuds wrote:
FWIW, my wife really likes the seating position of our new BV350 over our GTS 300 SS. She's 5-4 as well, and no passenger footpeg extensions required. I'm 5-10 and she really appreciates the higher seating position for the pillion on the BV for better viewing of the surrounding terrain.

BTW the top case with back rest intrudes more on the seating space on a GTS, than a Cupini back rest.

The additional power of the 350 will do everything you need on any incline.
IF you are going to go that route THIS is much better for the pillion. Probably the best scooter for riding 2 up on the market.

The BV is a fine scooter but is not a Vespa. It seems the OP wants a Vespa and who can blame them? Vespas are beautiful scoots and in a class of their own and that is exactly why I will always have one in the stable. If not going Vespa and not wanting the size of a C650 or Burgman I would go with the new 400CC BMW offerings. IMHO superior to the Beverly. But opinions may vary.

IMG_2056.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
The BV is a fine scooter but is not a Vespa. It seems the OP wants a Vespa and who can blame them? Vespas are beautiful scoots and in a class of their own and that is exactly why I will always have one in the stable. If not going Vespa and not wanting the size of a C650 or Burgman I would go with the new 400CC BMW offerings. IMHO superior to the Beverly. But opinions may vary.
Obviously tastes differ because the style of the BMWs, Burgmans, Majesty, Silverwing, etc leaves me cold.
Ossessionato
Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 am quote
cdwise wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Obviously tastes differ because the style of the BMWs, Burgmans, Majesty, Silverwing, etc leaves me cold.
You like the BV?

Honestly of the true "maxi scoots" I only like the BMW. The others are not as refined and while I can respect the Burgman (good quality scoot) it's too fat for my liking. The C650 is in weird category as I can tell you the guys that work at Motorrad don't really consider it a "scooter" . It could be because they admit they enjoy riding it and don't want to admit to enjoying a scooter. I've had at least 3 of them from different dealers tell me when they get a chance to ride the full lineup they go for the C650 because it is just fun to ride.
Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV
Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am quote
cdwise wrote:
Agree. I don't want my ride to look like something that belongs in a Godzilla movie.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Honestly of the true "maxi scoots" I only like the BMW. The others are not as refined and while I can respect the Burgman (good quality scoot) it's too fat for my liking. The C650 is in weird category as I can tell you the guys that work at Motorrad don't really consider it a "scooter" . It could be because they admit they enjoy riding it and don't want to admit to enjoying a scooter. I've had at least 3 of them from different dealers tell me when they get a chance to ride the full lineup they go for the C650 because it is just fun to ride.
I must since we've owned to BV500 (so we could ride together in Breckenridge) and bought a BV 350 for my son after his Sports City 250 daily rider was destroyed in the Harvey floods. I will say that the 350 has a much better seat than the 500.

We had a Burgman 400 but it was just too lardy for us, a good scooter but not my taste. My husband chose it and decided after a bit he really didn't like the way it handled.
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am quote
My wife and I regularly ride my LX 50 the 6 mile round trip to our favorite eatery. I'm 6 feet tall, 230 lbs. She is 60-70% of my size (I'm not posting her numbers...I'm not crazy) and it's just fine. For longer trips a GTS would be excellent.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed May 15, 2019 12:58 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Me too. The BV350 turns with a touch of the handle bars. Very nimble for a scooter.
200 GT
Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm quote
Fair Warning: This piece of advice is expensive.

Peg Position and seat design are your big battle for comfortable short passenger. My wife's 5'3" on a tallish day.

Passenger seats and in particular the passenger half of seats are either shitty uncomfortable Vinyl-over-brick (Vespa, stock Vstrom, etc) or wide flat sofacushions that grind into the back/side of a short person's legs (Geezer Glides, the 1500 wings.)

The best money I ever spent on a touring machine was on a Russell day long. They are a couple hundred more than most off the shelf seats and there's a line to get one built, but the built-to-spec for your passenger is worth its weight in gold.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 15, 2019 1:47 pm quote
RockyMtnRR wrote:
The best money I ever spent on a touring machine was on a Russell day long. They are a couple hundred more than most off the shelf seats and there's a line to get one built, but the built-to-spec for your passenger is worth its weight in gold.
To each their own I don't care for a Russell day long seat but then I don't typically carry a passenger either.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm quote
Allyn Air Seat
I've used these in the past with great success. Predates the AirHawk company by at least a decade.

Not fancy, at all. Two air chambers, grommets and strings to secure it to the seat. Heavy, black vinyl with ribs. Basically a small air mattress for your behind.

Inexpensive compared to the other options out there.

Looks like the company is still in business.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.6223s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0911s) ][ Debug on ]