So new, and yet goodbye
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Thu May 16, 2019 2:17 pm quote
I know that I just joined this forum, and have made just a few posts, but it seems like I will be leaving you. I was pretty close to signing on the dotted line for a new Vespa, but after my wife indicated that she would like to share in using a scooter if I bought one, she asked to go back to the dealer to sit on it once more. She found the seat just a bit too high for comfort but still loved the look of the Vespa. On a whim we stopped at a Honda dealer and she sat on and got on and off several times a 150cc Honda scooter and said that she was much more comfortable on this lighter and lower scooter. And I must admit I liked the idea of the larger wheels on the Honda. So we bought the Honda instead of the Vespa.

But as I told my wife, nothing is permanent. Once she gets used to riding a motorized vehicle she might wish for more oomph than she will get out of a 150, and if that becomes the case, maybe we will come back to Vespa with its 300 cc engine.

Thanks to all the positive comments from those of you that posted comments on my threads. Ride safe, and maybe someday I will be back.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pm quote
It is not what you ride. It is that you ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 pm quote
Well, glad to hear you have a plan and are moving ahead. I'm sure you already realize that 2-up on a 150cc scooter limits how and where it can be ridden. There are quite a few choices of scooters in the 300-400cc range assuming the ergonomics of the Vespa aren't quite right for the two of you. In the next few months you may wish to "sit test" and test ride some other choices. On the other hand, if this is what it takes to get your wife up on a scooter and your ultimate objective is for each of you to have your own bike, you may be well on your way.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 pm quote
Good luck GoldwingMan. Have fun & ride safe!
Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 pm quote
No need to leave the forum. Just post up some pics of the new ride when it happens.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu May 16, 2019 3:47 pm quote
Congrats on the Honda; assuming it is a PCX? We have a pair of PCXes, and they are fine smaller scoots. They are peppy, reliable, comfortable, and get great mileage... I have generally gotten around 100 mpg, my wife rarely gets less than 108 mpg. Pretty impressive for a scoot that will get you to 65 mph (maybe a mph or two over that).

Due to a hip issue, I thought I was done riding 6 years ago. My wife suggested we get a couple scooters. I was not in favor. So, we compromised and got a pair of PCXes. I sold my last motorcycle soon after, and haven't looked back.

Last year, I decided to look around for something with "just a bit more" (speed) than the PCX. My search brought me to the GTS. I am currently recovering from a hip replacement, and it is the thought of getting back on that Vespa that keeps me motivated.

Just saying that you may not want to sign off here, even though you bought a Honda. When you and your wife find out how much fun (and how easy) that PCX is... well, just pointing out that the GTS is even more comfortable (for me) and somehow stirs my soul a bit more.

Enjoy!

Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Thu May 16, 2019 6:15 pm quote
Think of the Honda as her scooter and when she starts riding it you can get your Vespa. Stick around so you know what the latest models are.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm quote
Oh, and, I had concerns about the 12" wheels on the GTS (the PCX has 14" wheels)... It is no issue. Both scoots handle just fine. In fact, the GTS feels more comfortable at 65 mph than the PCX (to me), probably because of the wider tires and heavier weight.

For someone just starting (like your wife), being able to flat-foot the PCX will initially give more confidence. At some point, she may want more speed and wind protection... and a GTS may be the next step.
Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 am quote
waspmike wrote:
tommylittlescooter wrote:
No need to leave the forum. Just post up some pics of the new ride when it happens.
Yep, yep, just because you didn’t get a Vespa doesn’t mean you can’t hang out here. There’s a great bunch of people and/or lunatics here with hordes of knowledge and even a large smattering of family like love. I ride a Genuine Buddy 150 and I’m ‘allowed’ to stay within the fold.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri May 17, 2019 6:09 am quote
[quote="KABarash"]
waspmike wrote:
I ride a Genuine Buddy 150 and I’m ‘allowed’ to stay within the fold.
Hey they even let me post now and then and I ride a Sportster with a sidecar. But wife does have a GTV 300 so that helps my case!
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am quote
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda
Goldwing,

Hey, many of us have other rides. I want a photo of that Honda.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 am quote
Keep the rubber on the road.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri May 17, 2019 8:58 am quote
[quote="kshansen"]
KABarash wrote:
waspmike wrote:
I ride a Genuine Buddy 150 and I’m ‘allowed’ to stay within the fold.
Hey they even let me post now and then and I ride a Sportster with a sidecar. But wife does have a GTV 300 so that helps my case!
But we're keeping an eye on both of you!
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Fri May 17, 2019 11:05 am quote
KABarash wrote:
waspmike wrote:
tommylittlescooter wrote:
Yep, yep, just because you didn’t get a Vespa doesn’t mean you can’t hang out here. There’s a great bunch of people and/or lunatics here with hordes of knowledge and even a large smattering of family like love. I ride a Genuine Buddy 150 and I’m ‘allowed’ to stay within the fold.
+1...no one is kicking you out...i never owned a vespa...i did consider one when i was shopping for my first used scooter last year but ended up with a buddy 125...i joined here after i bought my buddy because this forum gets more action than modern buddy, i like to see what other ideas people have and i like to learn
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri May 17, 2019 11:24 am quote
I was contemplating organizing a hostile takeover of the site requiring all members show a scooter VIN starting with a Zed (yes, Zed.. I'm Canadian after all) and proof of valid ownership of said vehicle. I quickly realized that would go over about as well as season 8 of Game of Thrones and leave this place feeling abandoned and sadly disappointing.

Seriously all are welcome here and this is a great crew with a few "drunk uncle" type characters that show up once in a while but what family doesn't have that?

It doesn't matter what you ride this is probably about the best place on the internet to get an intelligent response and quickly. A LOT of experienced riders here happy to share their knowledge whether you are on a Honda, Lambretta, Ural, BMW, Suzuki, etc. The beauty of it is a lot of riders only go to a Vespa /scooters in the golden years and have TONS of experience riding you name it under their belt. There are a few of us that have always loved scooters but it really is a great mix on MV.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
Think of the Honda as her scooter and when she starts riding it you can get your Vespa. Stick around so you know what the latest models are.
This
Addicted
Fri May 17, 2019 2:43 pm quote
Can't ya just feel the love? Seriously, stay.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri May 17, 2019 2:46 pm quote
Life imitates art...

Last edited by mpfrank on Fri May 17, 2019 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri May 17, 2019 3:54 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Seriously all are welcome here and this is a great crew with a few "drunk uncle" type characters that show up once in a while but what family doesn't have that?
You talking about?
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1498s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0230s) ][ Debug on ]