@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Front brake on the "new to me" PX is a disc brake. It has very little power as you start to grab the lever and then gets really really grabby suddenly. At speed it is just dangerous causing severe jerking, dive, and whatnot. Anyone know what to look at first to remedy and smooth it out? Bike is 2005 so fluid change seems like the obvious starting point?

(Had a Euro market PX200 a few years back and the disc on that was powerful but buttery smooth... that is my only frame of reference.)

TIA
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I'd remove and lube the brake lever bolt at the headset first. Next, remove the brake pads from the caliper and check them for corrosion. If the steel backing plate on the pads are rusty, clean them up or replace them. Put a VERY thin film of Anti-sieze on the parts that slide (such as the guide pin, the edge of the brake pad, ect). Both those things are easy and cost nothing to do.

Just wondering, but since you used to have a Euro market PX200 AND you live in Texas, did that PX200 come from ASC by chance?
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
PX200 - I was the second private owner but yes, that is what I was told when I bought it.

Thanks for the disc brake 411 too!
UTC

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
UTC quote
Just as a heads-up, be sure to use lots of painters tape around the sides of your fluid reservoir and extending around it before removing your reservoir cap and gasket. Brake fluid will quickly destroy paint and the reservoir on your PX150 is surrounded by painted parts. Plus, between the angle of the reservoir and the super small capacity, it is hard not to get spills. The low volume makes it tricky to keep from sucking the reservoir dry and getting air in the line if you use a vacuum at the bleeder on the caliper-I can attest to that. Having a person you trust who is not a moron would be helpful in keeping the reservoir topped up as you bleed fluid at the caliper.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
never trust a moron
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0400s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0166s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]