Got the pvc tube sleeving from mcmaster and carr. That worked great, although ideally I would have gotten slightly smaller tubes of it so that everything could fit better and less snug. It took hours to get the cables and wiring fed properly back into the handlebar/neck. I had to redo it a few times cause it was a jigsaw puzzle getting everything to fit in the right holes and not have issues. All said and done, I probably should redo it one more time as there is the slightest binding when handlebars are turned all the way left to the hard stop. Top left neck hole has a few wires or control cable outers that are getting pinched slightly when all the way left. I'm gonna leave it as is for now as I think it will only be a wear issue and not an issue with limiting range of movement.
As far as electrical routing, I made everything fit so much better as I fed all the wiring from both switches on either side handlebar through the tube hole and out the end of the tube where the connectors were connected, instead of having everything loose outside the tubes. You can see it in the photos attached. Top left hole in neck where the hydraulic brake line goes is where the pinching is happening on full left turn to just before hard stop.
I will admit, removing the handlebar/headset and dealing with the wiring harness then trying to get it all back in and fit properly is my least favorite task with these vespas by far. It sucks. Second least favorite has been the legshield trim install on the auto stella I had.
I would have had the engine running today, but as I was prepping to install the tank, I went to install the rubber fuel line grommet into the frame and ripped it cause it was old and brittle. So I ordered 3 more from scooterworks which now I have to wait 3-4 days to get before I can get the tank back in and run it.
I also got the shifter cables installed onto shifter box and got that stuff back on. First time doing it, took not long at all to get on there and a few extra minutes to adjust it properly so it wasn't so damn loose. Probably slightly too tight now cause handlebar gear marks were on at 1/N and a bit off at 3/4. Tried to correct that by tightening the cables using the screw adjuster nuts on the front of the shifter box.
And finally, got the glove box wiring cleaned up, everything plugged into gauges on the glovebox and re-installed the glovebox. Had some issues when plugging the fuel reserve light back in where it wasn't working, where I spent 1-2 hrs troubleshooting it then gave up and resigned myself to just leave it plugged in and deal with it not working for a while until the bike is running for a while and revisit it months down the line. So after I got the glovebox installed and plugged it back in.. damn thing worked. No clue what the issue was but its working. Two unexpected things about the very large temp gauge installed at the top of the glove box now... 1.) almost no space between it and the top glovebox screw mount, so it was a pain to get that nut back on and tightened. 2.) when the key is in ignition and turned on, it blocks half of the gauge with all my keychain/keys on it! So I will just have to keep the stella key separate from everything and just get a thin fabric lanyard that won't block my sight lines to half the gauge!
Remaining task list:
1.) swap old front shock for new
2.) swap old gearbox oil screw for new magnetic one and add gearbox oil
3.) finish installing all control cables.. install cable nipple on clutch and get dialed in.. get the rear brake cable adjusted/tightened to the brake mechanism.
4.) replace fuel line grommet and get the tank re-installed.
5.) install the stator/flywheel and set timing.
6.) drill hole in exhaust for egt sensor and re-install exhaust.
7.) install carb and get the damn thing running again!
NEW task to fix as a result of removing the handlebars a bunch of times without removing the hydraulic brake line:
1.) replace the speedo cable outer which is splitting visible spring interior.
BTW, if you guys missed it in the gen section... I mentioned in the COVID thread that my phone was blowing up all day from big group text of co-workers.. they evacuated my work building on 57th street in manhattan cause two people at another company on the 5th and 9th floor tested positive for the covid. We are on 17 and floors 12-19 have a different elevator bay on the other side of the lobby. Only one department I don't work in is on 11, which shares the same elevator bay as those positive people, and some of our guys on 11 come up to our floor regularly so they are all worried we all got it. I missed all the excitement. But I was supposed to work tomorrow and have friday off, then work for 10 days straight. Now the building is closed for at minimum next two days for decontamination. So I have the next two days off. I really wish I didn't rip that fuel grommet cause I'd be riding this scoot on my covid paid time off. Good thing I got all my critical parts from sip already as we can't get shipping from Europe anymore as a result of this.
This is the little bastard preventing me from getting this scoot running for a few more days:
new electrical routing.
made more space by sending switch cables through the handlebar tubes on both sides.
glove box back on and wires cleaned up.
key in ignition, can't see half the temp gauge with a keychain on it.
key by itself and I can easily see the temp gauge now. Also notice the fuel reserve light works!