Vespa (PGO) PX 150 1995 (?) restauration
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
PX 150
Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Location: Vietnam
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:34 pm quote
Hi guys,

First of all let me introduce myself, not sure it's the right part of the forum but at least it'll be done.

My name is Tibo, I'm a 36 years old French expat in Vietnam. I recently bought a PX150 and, obviously, I have a lot of questions ^^

Let's cut straight to the chase, it has been restored locally (actually seems to only have been repainted) and I would like, to the best of my capabilities, to continue that restoration with a little more care than th eprevious owner.

My main issues are now :
- oil leaks from the engine
- carburator definitively needs a rebuild (I have found a kit in Saigon)
- all electrical wiring need to be redone
- remove rust from fuel tank (the rust moves around, I can see it in the bottom of the tank)

Here are some picture, please no need to tell me how poorly it was restored and that I bought a Vietbodge, I know that and bought it knowing it. I still have the most fun and pride riding it here !





I do have questions on more precise topic (clutch, engine, little parts, not sure I should all post here or create different topics.

ANyhow thanks for all the help you could provide and if I can answer anything I'll be happy to !

Cheers

Last edited by Tibo27 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2080

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm quote
That kinda looks like Taiwan built PGO? I donít know how different the internals are from a PX though.
Member
PX 150
Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Location: Vietnam
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:08 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
That kinda looks like Taiwan built PGO? I donít know how different the internals are from a PX though.
It seems like it indeed, the front light cover says Made in Taiwan on the inside
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2080

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm quote
Tibo27 wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
That kinda looks like Taiwan built PGO? I donít know how different the internals are from a PX though.
It seems like it indeed, the front light cover says Made in Taiwan on the inside
Since you said that all the wiring needs to be replaced, you might be better off switching over to a PX wire harness (you might have to switch over the stator as well)...unless PGO wire harnesses are readily available..or are the exact same as a mid-90's PX. I have zero experience with the PGO's, so i'm of no use if you're trying to find out the details of the transmission, clutch, or electrics...as in, i don't know if the PGO came with the ELF transmissions, selector boxes, or Cosa clutches. One thing for sure, those yellow centerstand boots are still in great shape. You would think that Piaggio would have figured out how to produce a more robust centerstand boot!

And as an FYI, you might change your thread title to have PGO in your thread title. That way there is less confusion with what you actually have.

And welcome to the forum Tibo!
Member
PX 150
Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Location: Vietnam
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Since you said that all the wiring needs to be replaced, you might be better off switching over to a PX wire harness (you might have to switch over the stator as well)...unless PGO wire harnesses are readily available..or are the exact same as a mid-90's PX.
Here is a picture of the wiring ^^ (not sure I should still call it "wiring" at that point lol)

whodatschrome wrote:
I have zero experience with the PGO's, so i'm of no use if you're trying to find out the details of the transmission, clutch, or electrics...as in, i don't know if the PGO came with the ELF transmissions, selector boxes, or Cosa clutches.
I'm happy to get all info I can have. I'll make more pictures and post them when I have some issues. Can you tell me what this is though ?
whodatschrome wrote:
One thing for sure, those yellow centerstand boots are still in great shape. You would think that Piaggio would have figured out how to produce a more robust centerstand boot!
I actually thought these were crap rubber from somewhere else Glad to know it has a little value !
whodatschrome wrote:
And as an FYI, you might change your thread title to have PGO in your thread title. That way there is less confusion with what you actually have.

And welcome to the forum Tibo!
Will do, thanks for the welcome and taking the time to answer me
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2080

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 pm quote
That's the CDI in the last picture. It makes the plug spark. And that wiring does look a bit like Italian Spaghetti.

Those yellow boots only come on the SEA scooters, but for some reason, i have never seen any that are worn out.
Member
PX 150
Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Location: Vietnam
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:26 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
That's the CDI in the last picture. It makes the plug spark. And that wiring does look a bit like Italian Spaghetti.

Those yellow boots only come on the SEA scooters, but for some reason, i have never seen any that are worn out.
Thanks for these info. I'll cherish the yellow boots then ^^

I'll create different topic for my other worries then
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2080

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:58 pm quote
Tibo27 wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
That's the CDI in the last picture. It makes the plug spark. And that wiring does look a bit like Italian Spaghetti.

Those yellow boots only come on the SEA scooters, but for some reason, i have never seen any that are worn out.
Thanks for these info. I'll cherish the yellow boots then ^^

I'll create different topic for my other worries then
Or you can keep all of your topics and questions for the same scooter in one thread. It will make it easier for you and everyone else to follow along.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 7396
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
That's the CDI in the last picture. It makes the plug spark. And that wiring does look a bit like Italian Spaghetti.

Those yellow boots only come on the SEA scooters, but for some reason, i have never seen any that are worn out.
Bro thatís a coil. Iím guessing that itís still points... or that thereís a remote cdi of the bajaj variety.

But yeah, thatís a bit of a spaghetti farm. If all mostly works I wouldnít screw with it too much. Maybe a patch or run a wire here or there.

Running a harness gets pricey with the quickness.

-g
Member
PX 150
Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Location: Vietnam
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
That's the CDI in the last picture. It makes the plug spark. And that wiring does look a bit like Italian Spaghetti.

Those yellow boots only come on the SEA scooters, but for some reason, i have never seen any that are worn out.
Bro thatís a coil. Iím guessing that itís still points... or that thereís a remote cdi of the bajaj variety.

But yeah, thatís a bit of a spaghetti farm. If all mostly works I wouldnít screw with it too much. Maybe a patch or run a wire here or there.

Running a harness gets pricey with the quickness.

-g
Thanks for your input. I should have mention :

- Turn signals, horn and stop light (only with rear brake) work like a charm
- Front light/beam, rear light and stop light (with hand lever) do not work
- Obviously nothing on the speedo works, speedo cable (for the kilometers) is missing and all the wirings of the back of the speedo aren't connected
- resistor from fuel gauge looks dead


However, all wires from handle bar switches look good and connected. So could it be the stator or voltage regulator ? I replaced the battery this week, but do the lights are linked to the battery or the engine like old models ?

A seller in Saigon confirm to me the bike it PGO from Taiwan, mid 80's. Which, for me being in Vietnam, is a good thing (Italian made were not even a option in my case). I was affraid of LML model as I have heard less good thing about the quality.

I can take more pictures if you guys need, It's my first Vespa so of course I'm willing to share anything that could bring me some help on this project ^^
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 218
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 am quote
Looking at the bare wiring under that rubber csp, I would look into water proof or marine grade shrink tubing and soldering them together. Good clean connections will cause less aggravation.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1489s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0557s) ][ Debug on ]