OP
UTC

Vespa LX 150

Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
Recently i caught someone backing up and knocking my scooter over with their car. They are accepting responsibility.

There are new small scratches on the side now, which i can get a paint kit for to touch it up.

Its running at 90%. Before there's been some small inconsistencies with the engine already that I've been needing to troubleshoot. Nothing major. Im not of aware of any new problems that might of came from it falling.

The question is if i should still take it to the shop to get it inspected. Just in case. Or just let this one slide.

Thanks!
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Re: Question about scooter getting knocked over
space_jayce wrote:
Recently i caught someone backing up and knocking my scooter over with their car. They are accepting responsibility.

There are new small scratches on the side now, which i can get a paint kit for to touch it up.

Its running at 90%. Before there's been some small inconsistencies with the engine already that I've been needing to troubleshoot. Nothing major. Im not of aware of any new problems that might of came from it falling.

The question is if i should still take it to the shop to get it inspected. Just in case. Or just let this one slide.

Thanks!
This happened to my 8 month old GTS. The repair bill was £2000. His insurance paid. I'd get it checked. You never know what's wrong.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
You are better than I if you can do an acceptable repair to damaged paint with one of those little touch up bottles. All I get is blobs over the top of the scratches.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
You are better than I if you can do an acceptable repair to damaged paint with one of those little touch up bottles. All I get is blobs over the top of the scratches.
Couldn't agree more. The touch up paint is not easy to get perfect or even good for that matter. Stickers are a better way to go... Best way to go is a professional shop, they can get it perfect. That is not cheap though.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Could a cool decal cover the scratches?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
You must be using the brush that comes with the touch up bottle. That is your first mistake
Use a small artist brush
@everytimeidom avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200

Hooked
@everytimeidom avatar
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
UTC quote
Did you get their insurance information and file a claim? If not, do so ASAP.
Typically, they will conduct the inspection (these days they may have you take pictures with your phone in lieu of an in-person visit) and cut you a check for the estimated repair amount. You may want to get it independently inspected if their estimate is low so you can negotiate as necessary.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX 150

Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
If I get the paint professionally done, they'd have to ship the big chunk of piece to get it done, and that cost like $2000. I've touched it up before with no problems and it's wasn't in perfect condition before with the paint job.

I thought about a decal or sticker in the future anyways.

By my main concern is that I keep wondering if it's worth it to have the bike checked up, performance wise. In direct relation to it falling.

Is it worth the headache to be just be sure? Ive done most repairs myself. But I'm unsure about damages related to falling.

Thanks for all your feedback!!
@ellingwoodj avatar
UTC

GTS250

@ellingwoodj avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Question about scooter getting knocked over
I would like to see some examples of decals covering scratches. I have some good scratches on my GTS right side and painting would be too expensive.
Please post some pictures!
@magnum_pi avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 GTS 300 Super Sport

Enthusiast
@magnum_pi avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
smeghead wrote:
space_jayce wrote:

Thanks!
This happened to my 8 month old GTS. The repair bill was £2000. His insurance paid. I'd get it checked. You never know what's wrong.
This happened to my 6 day old GTS 300 at 140km. I took it to local Vespa dealer and everything that was even a little bit scratched was replaced or repaired since it was brand new and was spotless. Left mirror, dent on left fender, left fender bottom plastic plus decal and reflector, centerstand, chrome trim kit, front wheel fender, transmission cover. Total bill was $3200 CDN. Mine was titanium grey matte in color and it was never a perfect match as the original paint was oil based from Italy and oil based paints are not legal in Canada and the matte paint is hard to match.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Check and make sure gas didn't get into your filter.
UTC

2019 GTS 300 Super

2019 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Or oil in the air filter - same thing just happened to my husband's scoot.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX 150

Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
The new scratches are minor, and as you can underneath, is my previous attempts to cover up similar incidents. Scooter is from 2009
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
space_jayce wrote:
If it was my scooter , I would screw every cent out of the offender to get it back to 100%. Get everything checked out.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
space_jayce wrote:
If it was my scooter , I would screw every cent out of the offender to get it back to 100%. Get everything checked out.
I hate to say it but yeah.... do that. Mind you I'm not sure how much a 2009 is worth and body work and or paint work on a Vespa is expensive. They may blue book it and that isn't always great.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX 150

Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
In reply to the last two comments, I had these thoughts. Which I wanna be fair, but want
some kind of reimbursement for this incident with the least amount of headache. Ugh. I decided I'm going to bring it to the shop and let their professionals decide. I trust this place enough where I think they will give me fair assessment.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
ellingwoodj wrote:
I would like to see some examples of decals covering scratches. I have some good scratches on my GTS right side and painting would be too expensive.
Please post some pictures!
Roundels are a good way to start. They make them puffy 3D ones too.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0272s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0047s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]