Bought a geared bike to take my test
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 pm quote
As much as I loved my Vespa LX, then Yamaha Xmax, once I had taken my CBT (compulsory bike test for up to 125cc) I had the bug to have a full license.

So have been on the hunt for a 125 geared bike, as physically big as possible (Iím tall).

One bike Iíve had a keen eye on for ages is the Sinnis Terrain. A Chinese brand but they also produce parts for the big names.

Yesterday I picked up a 2018 with 144 miles on the clock and 18 months warranty still remaining.

As good as new, 1 owner (obviously at that age) and just had its first service.

They retail at £2,549.00 plus on the road charges. Picked her up for £1999.00 delivered.

Feel lucky and blessed. Going to practice lots, treat her well and hopefully take my test within the year.

Here she is
Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm quote
Sinnis Terrain

B19C0C1F-628B-4127-B3B5-B7A5AE010D12.jpeg

Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 pm quote
A trusted on line review

eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 pm quote
Bonus
A friend of mine runs a Sinnis dealer that I'm visiting today.

Dealer of the year 2016.

Are you enjoying it ?

Bill x
Enthusiast
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 pm quote
Looks great and undoubtedly very useful. And a steal at that price. Happy riding!
Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm quote
Cheers guys. Yes itís a great ride, totally love it.

Iím very fortunate, my town has Sinnis House in it. The UK importer and main dealer, so feel confident in owning one.
Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 10:23 pm quote
Is it the Brighton one your visiting?
eeee-bip
Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 pm quote
OPen
It's the one in Sittingbourne which is about 12 miles from my house.

I do need an excuse to visit Brighton though.

Bill x
Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 10:39 pm quote
Ah right know the area quite well, used to live at Chatham Maritime (st Maryís island).

An excuse to visit Brighton..... all the scooters that arrive every weekend is the perfect one!
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Wed May 15, 2019 10:44 pm quote
I remember talking with the owner of a Sinis Trackstar 125. I was admiring the bike when he came along. It really surprised me that it was Chinese as Chinese bikes in general don't have a great reputation. The bike I was looking at was 2 years old and was used for a long commute into London. It looked a really well thought out, if simple, bike. The guy said he hadn't had any issues with it at all.
eeee-bip
Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 pm quote
Oval
This may surprise you but I'm not that much into traditional scooters which is why I don't ride an Italian one.

Riding yes, but scooters are the conduit.

St Mary's Island is lovely as is Brighton.

I have plenty of time on my hands these days if you fancy a bullshitting session ?

Bill x
eeee-bip
Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 pm quote
Simon
My Benelli was built in China.

No complaints so far.

Oh, the tyres are shit.

Bill x
Addicted
lx 50
Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 pm quote
Haha yeh tyres, unknown brand on mine.......theyíll wear out and get replaced.

Always time for a natter, though time isnít something I have plenty of, work and 2 kids lol.

But yeh if you ride over to Brighton happy to meet for a shandy or a coffee or even both!!
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 am quote
Re: OPen
Bill Dog wrote:
I do need an excuse to visit Brighton though.

Bill x
To plant Bitza's flower on the sea front. Mods vs Rockers or rather both vs police.
Addicted
lx 50
Thu May 16, 2019 2:05 am quote
Haha well, if you visit Madeira Drive on a Sunday morning, they keep up the traditions, scooters at one end, bikers at the other of a little string of cafes.
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 am quote
Re: Bought a geared bike to take my test
northernerbill wrote:
As much as I loved my Vespa LX, then Yamaha Xmax, once I had taken my CBT (compulsory bike test for up to 125cc) I had the bug to have a full license.
So have been on the hunt for a 125 geared bike, as physically big as possible (Iím tall).
Feel lucky and blessed. Going to practice lots, treat her well and hopefully take my test within the year.
Congrats, having the full license is a wonderful feeling. In Illinois, Massachusetts and NY state( states I have held a motorcycle license), there is only one motorcycle license for either geared or or the automatics. Just as it is for cars.
Maybe just cuz I learned how to ride PTW's and cars on manual transmission vehicles, I have a certain arrogance towards those who know only how to ride twisties or automatic transmission vehicles. My feeling is you get to learn to control the vehicle better when you learn on manual geared machines.
I like the concept of having a different class of license for geared motorcycles and maybe it is also based on how big(engine size) the vehicle.
A very good friend of mine has a flat in Brighton and owns a coffee shop there. He is a musician and travels a lot. He is a one man band.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 am quote
6 years ago passed my riding test for license on a motorcycle, after 2 days of the class on it here in Ohio. They supplied bikes to all the students, so left my scooter at home. Class was on a airguard base. BIG runways.
Great fun to be shifting again after 40 yrs!
O.S.

Instructor reminded us that all military facilities are under some sort of alert status - "so if you pee in the shrubs here, someone will have you on camera."
Guards thoroughly searched our car everytime we came back from lunch...I think. We had to move to a glass booth and face the other way.

Last edited by OldSchooot on Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
lx 50
Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 am quote
baba12 wrote:
northernerbill wrote:
Congrats, having the full license is a wonderful feeling. In Illinois, Massachusetts and NY state( states I have held a motorcycle license), there is only one motorcycle license for either geared or or the automatics. Just as it is for cars.
Maybe just cuz I learned how to ride PTW's and cars on manual transmission vehicles, I have a certain arrogance towards those who know only how to ride twisties or automatic transmission vehicles. My feeling is you get to learn to control the vehicle better when you learn on manual geared machines.
I like the concept of having a different class of license for geared motorcycles and maybe it is also based on how big(engine size) the vehicle.
A very good friend of mine has a flat in Brighton and owns a coffee shop there. He is a musician and travels a lot. He is a one man band.
Ah no I think you misunderstand. In the UK we too, have a full license which means you either ride or drive both.
To get that full license you do it on a geared bike. You can once passed obviously then choose what your ride is.

For those crossing the Tí etc yes we do also have an auto only driving license, and a few stages to bike power within our bike license system.

Anyway point is for me to get my full license I need the practice on my geared bike before hand.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 am quote
I think the way they do it over there makes great sense from a safety perspective but man what a PITA it must be. My only concern is that because it is such a pain it may and probably does turn a fair amount of people away from riding which isn't a good thing.

Here it is much more simple but still not as easy as it used to be. When I got my full M license I literally ride a P200e around the block.
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am quote
I like the European/UK model for getting a driving license for both cars and motorcycles.
Here to get the motorcycle license, you have to perform a left turn circle, a right turn circle a figure 8 and come to a full stop without putting your foot down. Then you go on a tour of the local roads with the DMV officer riding in your friends vehicle behind you. You have been instructed where you will be going and certain signals will be given out. Follow them and you come back and you have passed the test. To me that isn't a good gauge of riding skill especially when it is done on a twisty over 50cc and under say 350cc. If one were to take that test on a geared bike it is a different skill set and the control shown while riding a geared PTW is different.
Having gotten my motorcycle license riding a 1988 Suzuki 750GSXR back in 1990, I tend to feel that my skill set was a different kind and better prepared for riding the Vespa GTS today.
But I digress, I am glad NorthernerBill is getting his license & will have more fun.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am quote
Good Luck
Good luck.

I learned to shift a bike (Honda SL100, back in '73) before I learned to shift a car. Still comes in handy.

Nice looking bike. You folks certainly have a lot more choices in two wheel brands than we do.
Addicted
lx 50
Thu May 16, 2019 10:47 am quote
Thanks guys.

Iíve had manual bikes in the past, as now 125cc, but itís been so long, and tests cost so much.

I thought it wise to have a manual for a while, get my mojo back and then comfortably take the test.
Addicted
Vespa PX 125 Settantesimo
Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
I think the way they do it over there makes great sense from a safety perspective but man what a PITA it must be. My only concern is that because it is such a pain it may and probably does turn a fair amount of people away from riding which isn't a good thing.

Here it is much more simple but still not as easy as it used to be. When I got my full M license I literally ride a P200e around the block.
It does put people off I think, especially if you want to own a 300cc GTS. That's why we have a big 125cc market here. You will see a lot of L plates, not because they are learners but because of the cost involved in getting a full license.
Addicted
Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
Thanks guys.

Iíve had manual bikes in the past, as now 125cc, but itís been so long, and tests cost so much.

I thought it wise to have a manual for a while, get my mojo back and then comfortably take the test.
Good luck Bill. I got mine done last summer after about 18 years of riding scooters!
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am quote
johnymoore wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

It does put people off I think, especially if you want to own a 300cc GTS. That's why we have a big 125cc market here. You will see a lot of L plates, not because they are learners but because of the cost involved in getting a full license.
So am I right understand that the license is based on engine displacement and also if it is a twisty or manual.
Or could one get a license to ride a manual transmission motorbike say of 650cc by taking the test on a Vespa GTS 300 which is a twisty and much easier to handle than say a heavier motorcycle.
Addicted
Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 am quote
baba12 wrote:
johnymoore wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

So am I right understand that the license is based on engine displacement and also if it is a twisty or manual.
Or could one get a license to ride a manual transmission motorbike say of 650cc by taking the test on a Vespa GTS 300 which is a twisty and much easier to handle than say a heavier motorcycle.
You need to do the test on a geared bike if you want to ride anything with gears. A friend of mine did his license on his own auto 125cc Vespa and now regrets it as he can't even ride something like a Honda Monkey without going back to L plates

There are different displacement categories also but if you are above a certain age you can go for the unrestricted one by taking the tests on a 650cc bike.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu May 16, 2019 4:48 pm quote
johnymoore wrote:
There are different displacement categories also but if you are above a certain age you can go for the unrestricted one by taking the tests on a 650cc bike.
And the real bummer is that you can't just buy a 650cc bike and practise on it - you have to have a qualified instructor accompanying you any time you're on public roads. Total cost can easily exceed £800, and that's if you're already an experienced rider - but say on auto only, or 125 only.

Although my UK licence is unrestricted, it is auto only - but I can now ride any bike in the UK as I can use my US licence for the short spells I'm back in the UK.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 pm quote
jimc wrote:
johnymoore wrote:
And the real bummer is that you can't just buy a 650cc bike and practise on it - you have to have a qualified instructor accompanying you any time you're on public roads. Total cost can easily exceed £800, and that's if you're already an experienced rider - but say on auto only, or 125 only.

Although my UK licence is unrestricted, it is auto only - but I can now ride any bike in the UK as I can use my US licence for the short spells I'm back in the UK.
That is handy I'm sure!

However my god what a PITA for those native to the UK. I'm sorry but I have to call nanny state here. I could elaborate on my thoughts but I have to be up in 6 hours so best hit the sack.

I would be interested in seeing what others have to say about the MC regulations in the UK. Something to read over my morning coffee.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm quote
Personally I think it's a good thing that the tests are pretty comprehensive - but I also regret that the old UK system of pass on a 125 then after 2 years you can move up to something with more power was replaced by this new system.
Addicted
Thu May 16, 2019 10:22 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
jimc wrote:
johnymoore wrote:

That is handy I'm sure!

However my god what a PITA for those native to the UK. I'm sorry but I have to call nanny state here. I could elaborate on my thoughts but I have to be up in 6 hours so best hit the sack.

I would be interested in seeing what others have to say about the MC regulations in the UK. Something to read over my morning coffee.
The system I am sure generates some good revenues if you see how many people repeatedly take their CBT every 2 years because of the difficulties of getting a full license.

I agree with Jim about the old system being more sensible where you could get your experience on a smaller bike and then apply for a bigger license.

The actual government cost of taking the tests is low but the cost of taking one of the practical tests was something like £250 because you have to pay for the instructor on his bike to come with you and the cost of hiring the 650cc bike you use for the test. Many people will fluff either the MOD1 or MOD2 which means paying that again.
Addicted
lx 50
Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm quote
The cost is high, but for me the principal is totally correct.

There are so many bad drivers in the UK that every step taken to reduce incidents due to ignorance and lack of skills is a good step.
GTS 300 (2009)
Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 pm quote
I passed my full bike test when I was 18 (before the laws changed) on a 125 manual, but even though by law I could have gone jumped on a 900cc sportbike the next it still wasn't possible, due to the insurance.

After I passed I wanted something bigger but the insurance companies wouldn't touch me on anything bigger than a 250. I ended up weighing another year and a bit until I was 20 before I got anything bigger than 125.

I do like the new system now (in principle) but I'd never really thought about the cost, and there are bit's I don't really understand (only because I've never had to do it). Can a 16-year-old who has passed their CBT still move up to a 125 when they turn 17 or do they need to take an A1 test first?
Addicted
lx 50
Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 am quote
Well Iíve had the best part of a weeks commutes, and itís almost at 200 miles total!! (Only 50+ are mine).

Loved every mile, the gears came back to me quickly, just have to stop thinking the clutch is the back brake (I am still braking, and it has dual braking).

Anyway all in, done a week, had fun, and got to wash and blow dry it today.

BD9A1B79-A348-465A-9E85-AEE73EC96CAA.jpeg

Enthusiast
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Sun May 19, 2019 11:49 am quote
I just looove the shape and style of that multi purpose bike. Very similar to the new BMW 310 GS that my daughter bought recently. I would consider one of either, plus a scooter, the ideal pair of two wheelers to choose from according to the particular 'mission' on the day, be it shopping, commuting or a tour of the countryside on variable roads.
Addendum: just watched the video above, NO ABS! That makes the little BMW the preferred choice for me.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Sun May 19, 2019 5:38 pm quote
Cool looking bike, very BWM-esque.

Put some proper off-road tires on it and give it a go as an ADV bike!

Hope it all works out well for you.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm quote
baba12,

Some US states like Texas now requires you to pass a MSF course before you can get a motorcycle license. To pass you have to do circles betweethe lines, figure 8 in box, weaves, emergency braking on signal within proscribed distance, turn direction pointed at short notice. Course lasts 16 hours costing you between $170 & $350 depending on where you take it.

If you are 15 you get a restricted license, no passengers, 250cc max and no riding between midnight and six. At 16 you get the 250 limit removed but the other restrictions hold until you have had a license for over a year with no tickets and are at least 17. Under 18 even with the MSF course you still have to take the on the bike test. Adults get a full unrestricted license in most cases without having to take the on the bike test after passing the MSF course.

FWIW, car licensing is similar with course required, plus online or in person videos on drunk driving but with the addition of 70 hours logged behind the wheel, I think 14 hours with an instructor and the rest with a licensed driver over the age of 25 passengers for the first year for the under 18 restricted to family and a maximum of one non family member. Minimum age is 16.

What we'd do not have is an auto only license.

My first 3 cars were manual and I learned motorcycle shifting on ATVs a long time ago.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 am quote
northernerbill wrote:

There are so many bad drivers in the UK that every step taken to reduce incidents due to ignorance and lack of skills is a good step.
This. Absolutely correct. Still get poor drivers/riders but it would be much much worse if the tests were easy.
eeee-bip
Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 am quote
Ask
What horse power is it ?

Bill x
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am quote
ashbrook wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

This. Absolutely correct. Still get poor drivers/riders but it would be much much worse if the tests were easy.
Years ago I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course and had the opportunity to speak at length with the instructor. She lamented the way motorcycle testing was done in New Jersey. People were renting 150cc scooters for the road test, turning them back in after passing the test. They would then go home and hop on their brand new Electra Glide with their brand new license. SMH.
Addicted
lx 50
Mon May 20, 2019 11:55 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
What horse power is it ?

Bill x
Itís 11.2bhp Bill.

Full spec for them is here

https://www.sinnismotorcycles.com/product/sinnis-terrain/
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.7546s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1048s) ][ Debug on ]