Battery at 100% but no response when key is turned
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
LX150
Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 pm quote
yes, my vespa is pink
and yes, i am a white-haired female vespa owner
and yes, red is positive and black negative

this is my second year with my vespa and i had no problems until this winter when i went into the insulated but not heated garage and noticed a gas smell and found the gas was dripping from the vespa

and now when i hook up the battery; nothing

i have not added gas as yet

are the two related?
is there something i'm missing

should i just look for a vespa mechanic?
is there such a thing in northern idaho?

thanks for the tolerant responses
m~
Hooked
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm quote
First, gas should not have been dripping, thatís something I would be concerned about and be looking for why and where before I even put the battery in. Battery - spark - gas means you could have a fire, possibly an explosion. Please carefully unhook the battery and remove it. And that plastic bin under the seat. They are designed to just lift out. Now, you or someone you trust who has some mechanical know how needs to start looking for that gas leak.

I donít know what bike/scooter shops are near you or in your area but there has to be someone who can help you or that you can take it to for work.

I am way too Far East to be of any real help, not sure if we have any members closer. But I have a 2016 LXV, so itís close to what you have and itís never had any gas leak or gas/oil puddles or spots under it when stored for winter and itís stored in my outside bike shed where it does get below freezing.
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 pm quote
Is the red kill switch set to "run"?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Thu May 16, 2019 5:56 pm quote
MLML wrote:
and now when i hook up the battery; nothing
You removed/disconnected the battery for the winter?
Itís possible you shorted it so check the fuses.

Welcome to MV
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, BV250, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Thu May 16, 2019 6:11 pm quote
Welcome to MV. It's a possible petcock problem, its the valve at the bottom of your tank that controls the fuel flow. Figure out where the leak is and that will help figure out why.

As Berto said it could be a kill switch set to not run or a fuse that's causing the scooter to not start.
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm quote
It could also be the brake lever switch. Try both brake levers, and move the kill switch back and forth a few times, just in case you have a poor connection.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm quote
Welcome to MV from the Great White North!

I never had that problem (or any other problem for that matter) in the 3 years I owned an LX150.

I doubt the two issues are related.

For starters (please pardon the pun) what model year is your LX?

That tidbit will help us help you.

I think the fuel leak has to be addressed first. I recommend getting the bike into an open space outdoors, taking the pet carrier (under seat bucket) out and having a close look to see if the source of the leak is visible.

The odds are itís a fuel line or fitting. My 2006 LX150 was carburated and the fuel was gravity fed from the tank. Itís possible the fuel tank sprang a leak (which the coolant reservoir in my 2010 GTS did) but thatís less likely.

Once we figure out the fuel leak we can help tackle the starter issue.
Lurker
LX150
Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 pm quote
thanks for all the prompt replies with great suggestions
and to answer a few of the questions....

it's a 2010 LX150 that i bought used with very few miles

yes, the kill switch is set to run (i have made that mistake)

hopefully it is a simple petcock problem -- had that on another scooter
and appreciate the insight into how to check that
didn't realize the pet carrier-not-a-pet-carrier came out.

stay tuned!
m~
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 pm quote
The workshop manual for 2012 and later fuel injected models is here and for the earlier carburated model is here.
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 pm quote
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that you had to make that statement about knowing red & black wires and having a pink vespa or being a lady etc.
It could very well be a way to break the ice and conduct conversations in a jovial manner. But if it was to preempt an snide remarks being made then I would feel truly ashamed that we haven't made the environment in the forum be such that one would feel welcome without anyone being an nincompoop of sorts.
But all things aside welcome and I guess the support from the members which I have relied on for umpteen number of things will help resolve the issues at hand and you shall be able to have a wonderful summer of riding.
Ossessionato
Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 am quote
Hereís a tip that works well for me.

This forum is a treasure trove but using the forum search function is not great.

Instead use Google: search this:

modernvespa.com lx150 petcock

Thatís how I found this: Replacing petcock

The last post in that thread may provide a clue.

I also found this: LX150 not starting
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 am quote
Does the headlight come on when you switch the ignition on? If not, then check:
Battery connections
Main fuse
Ignition switch (they can go faulty)

If the headlight comes on, but no hint of starting:
Does the brake light come on when you pull either brake lever?
If so, can you hear a 'click' when the starter button is pressed?
Lurker
LX150
Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 am quote
a quick THANKS to all of you for sharing your knowledge. i also have a jeep and use a forum for that however MV is much more welcoming and generous.
i had hoped to work on this problem this morning but .... LIFE....so stay tuned and keep the ideas coming.
also, it's raining so i'm in no rush to get riding.
sugar melts in water *wink*
have a great friday and thanks again!
m~
Hooked
BV 350
Fri May 17, 2019 1:41 pm quote
two things
Often, if the battery checks OK, but a vehicle won't crank over, there is corrosion between the cables and the battery post. Can usually tell because the lights will come on when you turn the key on, but when you turn it to 'start' the lights die. Easy fix, just remove and clean the connections.

Second is trickier. If the carb float overflows, and the intake valve is open, can fill the cylinder with gasoline, which is largely incompressible. When you try to crank it, nothing happens. Take out the sparkplug, rotate the engine by hand, gently, and see if it pumps out gasoline. If so, take all usual precautions with highly flammable spills. I'd also change the oil immediately, as some fuel usually works its way past the rings and down into the crankcase. Probably keep an extinguisher handy until you are done.

Knew a guy that had that happen on an inboard boat engine. So he pulled the plugs, put them in the boots laying on the block for safekeeping, and cranked it over with the key. Nice fountains of gas out of the sparkplug holes, followed shortly by a nice hot spark from the sparkplugs. Some of the boat and the neighbor's yard on fire. Good thing the garden hose was handy.
Hooked
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 pm quote
I hope we can help, and I hope to see more of you and photos of that pink baby. I have a newer (and more battered up) LXV 150 which I love and which I just paid off!! Bought her new June 2016 for my 60th birthday!! Now she has company, last summer I got a great deal on a barely used GTS 300 and last fall at a scooter rally I won a coveted 1978 P125x that is my all time sugar high! Welcome and I am so very glad to have another woman riding, even if you are a bit too far away to go riding with.
Ossessionato
Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 pm quote
The two problem have nothing to do with each other, one is electrical, the other is fuel related. So, the scooter is 9 years old. Fuel and vacuum lines should be replaced. You say the battery is 100%, so is it new? Been on a battery tender? Did you check the voltage? If so, what was the reading?
Lurker
LX150
Fri May 17, 2019 2:49 pm quote
battery is two years old and spends the winter on a trickle charger. the voltage reads 13.4
the other suggestion makes sense
thanks
m~
Ossessionato
Fri May 17, 2019 7:39 pm quote
A brand new battery , after a resting period, of say 15 minutes of the tender, will read 12.65 volts or so. If possible, can you get a volt reading while the starter button is engaged? Anything below 10.5 indicates a bum battery
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2602s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0406s) ][ Debug on ]