Away from home for our first Ďtripí
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am quote
I finally had weather and time and enough confidence in my growing Ďshiftyí skills to take a short out of town trip this morning. To the bank for house payment, then the gas station to check the oil and top off the gas tank and then head out of town east to the next small town, about 16 miles away, not too much traffic yet and didnít get passed, which surprised me quite a bit as I didnít think we were moving very fast. It is windy and a storm was coming in, so that was winds behind us heading east. A photo stop and check the oil and gas. Iím new to this 2 cylinder stuff and ya, fret a bit so check that 2 cycle oil tank often.
Took the next left down to meet up with the Beardstown road, about 7 miles, some of it flat and heading more north so that was side winds to bounce me some more. Then head winds coming back west on the Beardstown road, but itís a road I know well. I managed to get speeds on the speedometer of just over 55, but not sure how fast that was in reality and never ran WOT, sheís had some Ďnew partsí including a kit, donít bash me if Iím wrong but probably cylinder kit to take her from the original 125 to 177 cc. I had fun, the scooter ran well, we are not quite leaves in the wind but I sure knew we didnít weigh a lot. My shifty skills will keep improving but hopefully next weekend I can go all the way to Springfield and home!

D379259A-95C0-4348-A502-1BF5DE3C5257.jpeg

Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 18, 2019 12:36 pm quote
Nice one Maggie! Glad you won that raffle - sheís ended up with the right owner for sure. Itís awesome when a game of chance has a result that makes sense.
Addicted
Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm quote
The Missouri Loves Company scooter rally is the only 1 I am close enough so I can be sure of attending. I donít know anyone in my immediate area that rides scooters so I ride alone a lot or with a pal who owns a Honda Rebel. Heís almost 1 of my sons and although heís making great progress with his riding skills, heís lacking in riding with others common Ďrulesí or curtsies. Last time we rode together I was having issues with the scooter, and he rode off, leaving me miles behind. I caught him at the next town and gas station, where again, he vanished.
I love going down to St. Louis and riding with others, and my skills and knowledge grows with a lot of great other riders who teach and encourage all of us with good riding manors and how toís stuff.
Last yearís rally I had $$ set aside for raffle tickets but ended up spending most of it on prior yearís t-shirts for my work team, who had to work Saturday while I played. So, $10 worth of tickets and most going into other drawings, but not for the case of beer. I never expected to win, and I had expected to end up selling my GTS sometime Ďin the futureí to fund buying a older or vintage scooter needing a lot of work. So, yes, Iím still like the child at the county fair and tickets for all the rides and free cotton candy!!!
Hooked
Sat May 18, 2019 2:04 pm quote
Sounds great - doing all the right things.

Every time you go out for a little bit of extended drive, you'll get more comfortable with starts/stops etc related to the shifting - until you are Steve McQueen worthy and it doesn't even cross your mind.

Just keep riding - and consider losing your riding partner before he causes an unintended tangle outa sheer ignorance.
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Sat May 18, 2019 2:55 pm quote
Can't exactly tangle when he's miles away ;P But yeah - you should give him a talking to!
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm quote
Great job riding further today! Next time pack a small tool kit and plan an overnighter to a friends/relative an hour or two away. If anything pops up you can still be rescued but if it doesnít, itíll be a great opportunity to learn more about your scooter and see have a fun overnighter.

When you look at your oil sightglass, if you see a bubble forming at the top, add 1 quart of oil. Donít fill it all the way to the top of the tube. The oil tank screws onto a welded tube underneath the actual gas tank. If you fill it higher than where the oil tank screws onto the tube, you could get an oil leak and fill the belly of your scooter with excess two stroke oil.
Addicted
Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 pm quote
MJRally wrote:
Great job riding further today! Next time pack a small tool kit and plan an overnighter to a friends/relative an hour or two away. If anything pops up you can still be rescued but if it doesnít, itíll be a great opportunity to learn more about your scooter and see have a fun overnighter.

When you look at your oil sightglass, if you see a bubble forming at the top, add 1 quart of oil. Donít fill it all the way to the top of the tube. The oil tank screws onto a welded tube underneath the actual gas tank. If you fill it higher than where the oil tank screws onto the tube, you could get an oil leak and fill the belly of your scooter with excess two stroke oil.
I didnít know that about the oil. . .and I am the gal that tells everyone that top gas burns as cheap as bottom gas and it never leaves you stranded because you ran out of gas, so you know I have looked at that 2 stroke oil just the same way.. . I will quit topping that off now, and see just how much oil my scooter is now packing around in itís belly. Thank you, I do have a lot to learn still.
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Sat May 18, 2019 11:20 pm quote
If you have a leak, youíll see it develop at the rear of the floorboards first. Wonít hurt anything to just wipe it up.

If youíre not too worried about it, thereís no need to lift the tank, just ride the hell out of it and use up that oil!
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2408s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0381s) ][ Debug on ]