Replacement Headlamp Casing and Plate Light
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:38 am quote
Dear Mp3 Community
I need help finding an online vendor (suitable for California) for the following parts for a 2016 Piaggio Mp3 500ie Sport. My goal is to attempt to replace these parts myself, or failing that supply the parts to my local dealer to install on my behalf.

Parts list needed - pictures of current damaged attached.
* Highbeam headlight housing. Current one is cracked
* LED lamp for highbeam
* Lowbeam headlight housing. Current one is scuffed and scratched
* LED lamp for lowbeam
* Two license-plate light housings. Both current ones are loose
* Two LED replacements for the license-plate 5-12v incandescent bulbs.

I have spent some time searching online but all I've been able to find are replacement bulbs (nice) but not the actual housing itself. I could potentially get something from Ebay but that brings with it its own vendor risks. There is a BMW dealer in my area that sells Mp3 and can service them but they are also very expensive and often over-booked for repairs.

Doing the replacement myself is a good learning opportunity and a chance to save some money by avoiding dealer prices.

Thank you for your guidance and help.

Pinhead.

2016Mp3-500-highbeam-crack.jpg
Highbeam headlight housing crack

2016Mp3-500-platelight.jpg
Plate-light housing broke loose

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:30 am quote
For the plate light you just need a clip and one screw looks like to me.
Lots of dealers will not install parts you bought, unless of course you bought them from them so make sure you can accomplish the task before ordering the part.

Wayne B
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 am quote
Had not considered that, I'm not very automotive savvy on what dealers will or wont do. I've got the service manual and there are youtube videos on the subject for similar model Mp3s that I can review. I plan to do a partial disassembly so I can get a better idea of how complex the task is before committing to self-fix or just having the dealer do the repairs.

Having a reliable online dealer for the part will go a long ways towards figuring out how much to budget for a repair and installation processes.

I did find a few headlight-assemblies for other Piaggio models that were reasonably priced. Still searching for an MP3 solution.

Plenty of LED-bulbs though, those are easy to find. The assembly or housing, not so much. Even some specialized parts dealers do not have it.
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:58 am quote
Re: Replacement Headlamp Casing and Plate Light
pinheadh78 wrote:
Dear Mp3 Community
I need help finding an online vendor (suitable for California) for the following parts for a 2016 Piaggio Mp3 500ie Sport. My goal is to attempt to replace these parts myself, or failing that supply the parts to my local dealer to install on my behalf.

Parts list needed - pictures of current damaged attached.
* Highbeam headlight housing. Current one is cracked
* LED lamp for highbeam
* Lowbeam headlight housing. Current one is scuffed and scratched
* LED lamp for lowbeam
* Two license-plate light housings. Both current ones are loose
* Two LED replacements for the license-plate 5-12v incandescent bulbs.

I have spent some time searching online but all I've been able to find are replacement bulbs (nice) but not the actual housing itself. I could potentially get something from Ebay but that brings with it its own vendor risks. There is a BMW dealer in my area that sells Mp3 and can service them but they are also very expensive and often over-booked for repairs.

Doing the replacement myself is a good learning opportunity and a chance to save some money by avoiding dealer prices.

Thank you for your guidance and help.

Pinhead.
Your Roller does look pretty sad Pinhead
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:44 am quote
parts-piaggio.com has the nicest online fiche diagrams where you can get the part numbers.

https://www.parts-piaggio.com/piaggio-scooters/500-PIAGGIO-SCOOTER/MP3/2016/MP3-500-Sport-ABS-E3-E4/Electrical-system/Front-headlamps--Turn-signal-lamps/1218/23/20642/2718

Scooterwest, AF1Racing.com, and Scooterpartsco.com can all get whatever you need if you have the part number.

The headlight shell is an expensive piece. Not that hard to replace though.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:53 am quote
If you can't find your part stateside, Easyparts.nl and Easyparts.it are a good resource. Service is excellent and shipping is quick but can be expensive.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:44 am quote
eBay will be your most affordable option.
Easyparts.nl (Outside of the US) is a good option, shipping to you is only about 3 days.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:48 pm quote
Thank you for the follow ups
Hello Everyone.
Thank you for the responses and information; it is greatly appreciated.

The website with the parts-source will be an invaluable resource for anyone who needs parts for their Mp3. That will make future repairs or projects much easier.

As for the cracked headlight; it will be about $600 for the certified shop to repair it including the replacement light and the labor to install it. I opted to wait as the light still works fine and I can clear-epoxy the break back into place for now. It wont look pretty but the light itself still works great and more than does the job (ridden it at night recently and no issues).

With the parts website listed; I might be able to order the part and try my hand at replacing it. But thats allot of plastic to remove and I may not have all the needed tools. So we'll see what happens in the next couple months when I revisit the issue to either repair myself or have the dealer do it.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:38 am quote
Compared to some other parts, the headlight shell is actually quite easy to get on and off. At least on the "sport" style body. Just a few bolts and screws. I'm going to have mine off in the next couple days to try to clean it.

Some of he body parts are truly expensive to replace. I'm with you on repairing what you can live with. The front cowl of mine is missing a chunk along the side and it's going to stay that way for now.
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 am quote
Interested in tool and process
Hi Pmatulew
It looks like the 2009 and 2016 though very different version of the Mp3 appear to have similar front headlight configuration.

It would be great to learn what tools you use or sequence notes you encounter when you replace your front headlight. Perhaps I too will give it a try in a couple months when I revisit the topics; its just an intimidating amount of plastic.

Fingers crossed your attempt meets with success.
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:15 am quote
Video on replacing the Headlights and casing
Following up if anyone sees this thread and has a similar question.

I found this Youtube video containing a well documented procedure for removing the plastic around the headlight casing.

I'm going to watch this a few times then make an attempt (carefully and with documentation) on swapping the bulbs myself.

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 am quote
Same idea with the intermediate body style. Just take off the nose piece and the Y-shaped piece and there are only 4 big screws that hold the headlight shell in place. I have the early style body and don't need to do anything with the windshield to get the Y-shaped piece off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfal6xQBCvE
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1513s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0335s) ][ Debug on ]