Vespa vs. Japanese scooters?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Thu May 30, 2019 5:55 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
Yes but if it's anything like the Tmax, I'll be steering with my knees. Guess I'll have to sit on it Fonzie.
I found it to be quite cramped too......
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 am quote
Re: Huge
Bill Dog wrote:
Oh Jesus.

I'm staying away from this one.

Bill x
Bill Dog wrote:
Knotted.

Bill x
Bill Dog wrote:
Not biting.

Bill x
Bill Dog wrote:
Puts own hand over own mouth.

Bill x
Bill Dog wrote:
Lights cigarette, puts hands in pockets, whistles and walks away.

Bill x
Bill Dog wrote:
Why Hodna didn't sell the big Ruckus in Europe I'll never know.

Such a great bike with bullet proof internals.

Bill x
you almost had it there Bill

would a NSFBD tag help
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 am quote
Piece
Yeah I caved.

I almost had it but my big mouth let me down again.

Dammit.

Bill x
Addicted
Krigsgaldr
Thu May 30, 2019 6:22 am quote
Here you go
Honda SH300 2017

IMG_20170917_072521973.jpg

eeee-bip
Thu May 30, 2019 6:33 am quote
Help me Honda
Where do you go with that ?

On a conversational level, not a physical one.

Bill x
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Thu May 30, 2019 12:38 pm quote
Re: Help me Honda
Bill Dog wrote:
Great. Now I can't get the Beach Boys outta my ear!
eeee-bip
Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm quote
List
Sorry Mate,

I've got to run now.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 pm quote
Nomad68 wrote:
Honda SH300 2017
10kg worth of Curry?
Lurker
Vespa ET4 190
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:12 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x
They did, it went by another name but not the 250 version, that was Japan only!
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 pm quote
andygreyrider wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x
They did, it went by another name but not the 250 version, that was Japan only!
I had a Big Ruckus. It had none of the advantages of a scooter with even less advantages of a motorcycle. It was heavy, slow and had no cargo space. Even by seat of the pants it was slower than my Chinese Helix clone.

The big moment that showed how slow it was happened when I rode it along side my late wife's Rebel. She left me by a zip code. No surprising since the Rebel weighed 70 pounds less.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am quote
Re: Here you go
Nomad68 wrote:
Honda SH300 2017
... hehehe ... dig dig dig, there is always an italian ...
2006 GT200
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:42 am quote
I have owned 6 "modern" Japanese scooters and one Taiwanese scooter (SYM) before getting a Vespa. I also own a Genuine Stella 2 stroke, and am looking for a vintage P series Vespa. I use my scooters for recreation only. I use a car/truck for actual transportation.

As far as build quality and fit and finish, I feel Vespa is way ahead of anything Japanese. It is also more comfortable and looks a lot better to me. I like classically styled scooters, and Vespa definitely does that better than anything else. I have never seen an ugly Vespa. I have seen a lot of ugly Japanese scooters, though I realize that is subjective. I also don't like plastic body panels.

I had one Japanese scooter leave me stranded when a belt with only 4000 miles on it shredded. It was a Yamaha Vino 125, I bought it new, it had 34,000 miles on it when the 4,000 mile belt self destructed. But my Vespa also left me stranded once. The vacuum petcock failed. I blame ethanol gas for that. Japanese scooters are a lot easier to get parts for online. My Vespa GT200 is 14 years old, and I am concerned about parts availability for it. I only ride carbureted scooters and motorcycles, so parts for any of them could become an issue at some point. I am an auto/truck and equipment mechanic and do all my own service and repair on all my bikes. Some Japanese scooters are a nightmare to work on, some aren't. I have not found carbureted Vespas difficult to work on if you can get the parts.

But to me a scooter is more than just a vehicle. Motorcycles and scooters have been a lifelong hobby. They are a passion for me. And that is where a Vespa wins hands down. It's the real thing. It has a completely different feel. Everything is a lot more precise. It has soul, something that has always been missing from Japanese vehicles. It is more than the sum of it's parts. It cannot be judged just by it's specs like a Japanese scooter. Riding a Vespa is an experience that you cannot duplicate with any Japanese scooter.

I don't see myself ever buying another Japanese scooter. I will keep my modern Vespa going as long as possible, and maybe buy another if I can find a decent one. My long term plans, if you can call it long term (I'm 61) is to have a completely restored P series Vespa.
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:41 am quote
Which Vespa and which Japanese?

Every brand has it's hits and misses.

You shouldn't be able to crack the case using the kick start on a LEADER motor the right way miss but they run great.

Pre 07 Burg 400s required valve adjustment every 3k miles...miss

On the other hand my 1990 Yamaha Riva 200 is a rock solid scooter that will run 70 mph all day comfy and my BV 200 is an excellent local 2 up touring bike
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 pm quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
I have owned 6 "modern" Japanese scooters and one Taiwanese scooter (SYM) before getting a Vespa. I also own a Genuine Stella 2 stroke, and am looking for a vintage P series Vespa. I use my scooters for recreation only. I use a car/truck for actual transportation.

As far as build quality and fit and finish, I feel Vespa is way ahead of anything Japanese. It is also more comfortable and looks a lot better to me. I like classically styled scooters, and Vespa definitely does that better than anything else. I have never seen an ugly Vespa. I have seen a lot of ugly Japanese scooters, though I realize that is subjective. I also don't like plastic body panels.

I had one Japanese scooter leave me stranded when a belt with only 4000 miles on it shredded. It was a Yamaha Vino 125, I bought it new, it had 34,000 miles on it when the 4,000 mile belt self destructed. But my Vespa also left me stranded once. The vacuum petcock failed. I blame ethanol gas for that. Japanese scooters are a lot easier to get parts for online. My Vespa GT200 is 14 years old, and I am concerned about parts availability for it. I only ride carbureted scooters and motorcycles, so parts for any of them could become an issue at some point. I am an auto/truck and equipment mechanic and do all my own service and repair on all my bikes. Some Japanese scooters are a nightmare to work on, some aren't. I have not found carbureted Vespas difficult to work on if you can get the parts.

But to me a scooter is more than just a vehicle. Motorcycles and scooters have been a lifelong hobby. They are a passion for me. And that is where a Vespa wins hands down. It's the real thing. It has a completely different feel. Everything is a lot more precise. It has soul, something that has always been missing from Japanese vehicles. It is more than the sum of it's parts. It cannot be judged just by it's specs like a Japanese scooter. Riding a Vespa is an experience that you cannot duplicate with any Japanese scooter.

I don't see myself ever buying another Japanese scooter. I will keep my modern Vespa going as long as possible, and maybe buy another if I can find a decent one. My long term plans, if you can call it long term (I'm 61) is to have a completely restored P series Vespa.
My Burgman 400 2012 rusted it's frame pretty badly from new, as it did the petrol tank which was very badly corroded after just 3 years. At 5 years inspite of various applications of anti-rust fluids, it was pretty much rusted through, but otherwise the bike was ok. Welds were not pretty either. on the Burgman. I serviced many other 400 Burgman of all years and they rust rather alarmingly under all that plastic.

My Vespa on the other hand has not a dot of rust on it. It's 4 years old now and never had an issue apart from a weeping hose under the floor, fixed easily by new hose clip being fitted. I've seen and worked on many Japanese bikes and scooters and in the main they are ok, but overated when comparised to Vespa and Piaggio products which more than match up these days. There's good and bad in everything but Vespa is a joy to work on compared to a lot of the Japanese stuff.
2006 GT200
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:56 pm quote
I recently watched a video from a guy in the UK whose Vespa GTS300 had rusted badly underneath, even to the point of having holes rusted through it. OTOH, my 2006 GT200 does not have even a speck of rust on it. There are some paint chips under the bottom from rocks and gravel, which have never been touched up, and they haven't rusted. My GT200 is way better than any other scooter I have ever owned in pretty much every way. Sadly it was one of the last carbureted scooters Vespa made.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:01 pm quote
It all depends on how the vehicle is used and general maintenance.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 pm quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
I recently watched a video from a guy in the UK whose Vespa GTS300 had rusted badly underneath, even to the point of having holes rusted through it. OTOH, my 2006 GT200 does not have even a speck of rust on it. There are some paint chips under the bottom from rocks and gravel, which have never been touched up, and they haven't rusted. My GT200 is way better than any other scooter I have ever owned in pretty much every way. Sadly it was one of the last carbureted scooters Vespa made.
The GT200 is a very special bike. It started the GTS trend and set new standards for scooters.

The rusty Vespa video might have been one of my customers from years ago. I know one of them who did post because he thought that stone chips and bare metal shouldn't rust these days!! His bike lived on the coast too with lots of salt in the air. If it was him he never ever washed the underside of the scooter or touched up the scratches or stone chips. Typically when you see a rusty Vespa, they are bikes that have been pretty much badly cared for and had the stone chips ignored. If so, it can rust through like any metal will. But you need to ignore them for a long long time for them to rust badly. Funny though, because if most folks get a scratch or stone chip on their cars, they will touch it up to stop the rust. But the scooter, well that's another matter.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234
[ Time: 0.1627s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0430s) ][ Debug on ]