Considering a used mp3 as first scooter - need advice
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 am quote
We just returned from a trip to Italy and NETHERLANDS and saw these everywhere. I’ve located a nice one near home here in KY, but I’ve never bought a scooter before so don’t know what to look for.

This is a 2008 mp3 250, with 11,000 miles, $2500. New tires and battery. I DO know where it’s been serviced and they are reputable. This is the 2nd owner, since 2010. It’s been garaged. No modifications. He does oil himself. He does have both keys and is looking for the key code card.

Any advice?

Thanks
Phil
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue May 21, 2019 11:24 am quote
key card is basically useless no worries on that, great that they have both the master and regular key.

sounds reasonable.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 am quote
Good price, sounds like it has been maintained. It would be a fine first scooter. If it hasn't been dropped too many times, then you'll break even selling it if you decide you don't want it after a while, or want something more powerful.

If you want to be certain about its mechanical status, then take it to a mechanic; they can tell pretty quickly whether a scooter has been abused or not. But it sounds pretty solid to me. I would still change all the fluids immediately, brake fluid, oil, coolant, final drive oil, and inspect the brake pads for wear. No key card is fine if he has the red (or brown) key.
Enthusiast
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 pm quote
This is such a familiar scenario: 2008 model MP3 250 (ten years old!!), low mileage, new battery, new tires, hardly been used etc etc. There is a good reason why there are so many with a similar age and history around.
I have been there myself and regretted it ever since, because the MP3 is an unwieldy top heavy beast to ride and technically a bastard to maintain.
Pingber, If you have not ridden a motorbike or scooter before, nor are totally familiar with the mechanics of this trike, then I advise you to start with something simpler, more easily maintained, easier to handle and a lot lighter.
Before you go ahead I suggest you trawl through the MP3 Forum to familiarise yourself with experiences and frustrations others have endured with this vehicle.
(Now I wait for the howls of derision about my assessment from the MP3 aficionados.) Yelp!
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Wed May 22, 2019 12:02 am quote
I'm a big MP3 fan, having had two of them! But I have to agree that an old MP3 not a good starting machine if you have had no two wheel experience and are not both confident as a rider and as a mechanic. At this age it will undoubtedly have steering notch issues and the low mileage doesn't mean that the effects of ageing will not be serious. ( tyres, drive belts, water pump seals, lubricants and fluids, coolant pipes and clamps, corroding electrical connections etc.).

All of these things can be fixed so if you are happy to buy on that basis go ahead and have a great time fixing and riding a unique machine, but if not you should think again.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 am quote
Breitie wrote:
This is such a familiar scenario: 2008 model MP3 250 (ten years old!!), low mileage, new battery, new tires, hardly been used etc etc. There is a good reason why there are so many with a similar age and history around.
I have been there myself and regretted it ever since, because the MP3 is an unwieldy top heavy beast to ride and technically a bastard to maintain.
Pingber, If you have not ridden a motorbike or scooter before, nor are totally familiar with the mechanics of this trike, then I advise you to start with something simpler, more easily maintained, easier to handle and a lot lighter.
Before you go ahead I suggest you trawl through the MP3 Forum to familiarise yourself with experiences and frustrations others have endured with this vehicle.
(Now I wait for the howls of derision about my assessment from the MP3 aficionados.) Yelp!
While ive never ridden/owned a 250 mp3, i do own and ride a fuoco 500 and i have to agree 100% with Breitie.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 am quote
Breitie wrote:
I too, agree 100%.
PLEASE, read every word above then read it again.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 am quote
I would not own an MP3 as my first scooter either.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am quote
Nor would I. Great machines, I love them, but not for beginners!
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am quote
Well, this was me about 12 years ago - I had never ridden or even thought I wanted to. Got bored one summer and started looking around. Found the web bike review/video of MP3 and said “that is just ugly enough to be cool”.

Found one (MP3 250) nearby. Bought it. Had owner ride it home for me. Still had never ridden it. Enrolled in msf class (scheduled about 3 weeks later) and couldn’t wait. Rolled it out, fired it up and away I went. Much to the dismay of others here, I didn’t wreck, I didn’t drop and I started to learn. There are plenty of “bad” new MP3 experiences available here, but mine was good.

So, as long as you are not expecting it to be a trike, are tall enough to touch the ground, are willing to treat it with healthy respect, BUY IY and have some fun.
Hooked
Wed May 22, 2019 10:32 am quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
Well, this was me about 12 years ago - I had never ridden or even thought I wanted to. Got bored one summer and started looking around. Found the web bike review/video of MP3 and said “that is just ugly enough to be cool”.

Found one (MP3 250) nearby. Bought it. Had owner ride it home for me. Still had never ridden it. Enrolled in msf class (scheduled about 3 weeks later) and couldn’t wait. Rolled it out, fired it up and away I went. Much to the dismay of others here, I didn’t wreck, I didn’t drop and I started to learn. There are plenty of “bad” new MP3 experiences available here, but mine was good.

So, as long as you are not expecting it to be a trike, are tall enough to touch the ground, are willing to treat it with healthy respect, BUY IY and have some fun.
what he said.lol, the mp3 is a fantastic first scooter for one reason. not anything to do with money on upkeep but all to do with keeping the rider safe when a conventional scooter would have you in trouble. 3 wheels make a massive difference to the safety on the road. and that's a fact that should out weigh money concerns. I say buy it and learn how to service it in your own time if money is tight or see if anyone on here lives local who could offer free advise if ever you need it.
Enthusiast
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm quote
Very interesting and candid comments. I feel vindicated. I expected to be accorded pariah status and banned from this Forum.
Pingbear, I draw your attention to a post by G192127 titled "Getting rid of my MP3 today" below here. That just about sums it up.
In the meantime I have traded my MP3 for a Piaggio Medley 150 with all the bells and whistles, and after wrangling the MP3,
riding the Medley is like riding on angels wings: wonderfully light and easy, very flickable, and a pure enjoyment. I recommend it highly.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed May 22, 2019 3:09 pm quote
One thing the OP didn't mention is prior experience with motorcycles or other PTWs.

If this is your first SCOOTER, but you have some miles on two wheels (preferably with an engine but plenty of bicycle miles would help too), then my vote would be to go for it.

Feed your passions.

Carpe diem.

Et cetera.

Ad nauseum.
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 pm quote
My first real experience came on a 400. Never rode a motorcycle or scooter, except the odd time I rode a 49cc scooter here and there. Basically learned the principles of riding on the 400. Dropped it one time at a gas station because diesel pumps seem to have fuel all over the ground and I lost my footing cause my foot slipped, but other than that, it was great to ride and learn on. Now I am on a 500hpe and love the power difference. Much easier to pass, go up hills, etc. I will be honest, I would shy away from the 250 based on the fact that the weight of this bike is a beast and the 250 power will get boring real fast. Just can't see long spirited rides being any fun because of its overall lack of power. Don't spend that kind of money for it, as I think within a few months, you will get bored and regret the money you spent wishing you got something with a little more power.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Wed May 22, 2019 10:31 pm quote
Regardless of the price ,the 3 wheels, your mechanical ability and being a long time rider of motorcycles i certainly would think more than twice about buying a MP3. Like i wrote earlier i've never owned or ridden a 250 but the fuoco/USA MP3 500c is just more cc and more weight and i suspect the 250 has all the pros and cons of the 500. Owning a MP3 i think you have to be abit of a enthusiast or a screw loose so it has to have something else that other 2 wheelers can't give you. Personaly i would'ent even consider a scooter 2 or 3 wheels . There have to be loads of motorcycles that are far better and cheaper to buy and maintain.The 500 don't handle that well , the riding position is very carp and the small wheels find every road hole/bump and as for maintenence all those self tapping screw and tabs holding everthing together is crazy.There i've said it.
Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport
Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 am quote
I believe he said that the mp3 is not for everyone.....I do like my 500.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 am quote
I owned an MP3 250 for several years. I owned an LX150 at the same time, and eventually replaced the MP3 with a BV350. Thus I have some basis for comparisons. As said above, the MP3 is a very heavy scooter and is both mechanically and electronically complex. I enjoyed the bike, but found that one had to be quite careful with features such as the front suspension lock/unlock. It is very easy to dump the bike if it is out of balance in the locked position. The 250 engine is very reliable, but lacks power for a bike with the weight of the MP3. Frankly, the LX150 is a joy to ride in comparison due to its light weight, easy balance, and quick steering. The LX is the better around town ride IMO. As I mentioned, in the end I traded the MP3 for a BV350 which has plenty of power for its weight, a great suspension, and good braking. I found the BV to be a much better choice for longer distance and higher speed riding than the MP3 250. Others have mentioned the safety advantage of the MP3 over PTWs. I really didn't see that in my comparison to the BV. The lighter weight, greater power, and excellent suspension of the BV make it an excellent and responsive ride - and it is a much easier bike to maintain and keep in good repair. The one thing I will say in favor of the MP3 - its ability to easily park and roll around in the suspension locked position is definitely an advantage and much appreciated.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.5366s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0813s) ][ Debug on ]