Fuel tank level indicator
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
GTS 300
Wed May 29, 2019 8:31 am quote
My brand new 2018 GTS300ie will not indicate a full tank when she's filled up. The last fuel indicator block doesn't fill in grey. The dealer suspects it's part of breaking in the linear float or whatever provides the reading. Isn't there a float adjustment?
Hate having a inaccurate gauge.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am quote
Re: Fuel tank level indicator
RP Tech wrote:
My brand new 2018 GTS300ie will not indicate a full tank when she's filled up. Isn't there a float adjustment?
Nope, no adjustment I know of. Vespa's fuel gauges are notorious for being less than accurate. My old analogue one never showed over 3/4 full, for example.

It's just something to adjust to over time....typically filling isn't so much of a problem, but learning how low you can go can be a bit tricky if you like to extend your range....
Hooked
GTS 300
Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 am quote
I would like to know how much distance can be traveled when the low fuel indicator illuminates. Someone ought to be ashamed for not having accurate/dependable/adjustable fuel gauges.
Perhaps putting a clean rock or something in the tank will bring the level up to accuracy.
Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Wed May 29, 2019 10:24 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
I would like to know how much distance can be traveled when the low fuel indicator illuminates. Someone ought to be ashamed for not having accurate/dependable/adjustable fuel gauges.
Perhaps putting a clean rock or something in the tank will bring the level up to accuracy.
On my GT, when the low fuel light comes on solid, it means I have about a half a gallon left. I typically get 70 mpg, so I give myself at most 30 miles to be safe.
Hooked
GTS 300
Wed May 29, 2019 10:36 am quote
On my GT, when the low fuel light comes on solid, it means I have about a half a gallon left. I typically get 70 mpg, so I give myself at most 30 miles to be safe.[/quote]

How were you able to first determine a solid indicator means 1/2 gallon left?
Hooked
Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
How were you able to first determine a solid indicator means 1/2 gallon left?
When my light came solidly on, I filled up. I put two full gallons in there and saw that I was full. Tank capacity is 2.5 gallons, so I deduced that a 1/2 gallon must have been left in there when the light came on solid.
Hooked
Wed May 29, 2019 11:22 am quote
I thought that the GT and GTS' shared the same tank/fuel capacity, but I'm now seeing the GTS' have slightly less capacity due to the fuel pump mechanism inside the tank. But you should be able to perform the same experiment with your GTS to see how much you have left when your light comes on.

This thread indicates the GTS' have about .4 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on: 2011 GTS300 Fuel Reserve
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed May 29, 2019 11:35 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
Be lucky you don't just have a Reserve lever you turn when you run out of fuel. No gauge, that's how it was when I started riding.

Reset you trip meter each fill up and know you have around 150 miles till you need to fill up.

And the fuel light should be consistent, so you will know when you are low.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed May 29, 2019 2:47 pm quote
RP Tech wrote:
My brand new 2018 GTS300ie will not indicate a full tank when she's filled up. The last fuel indicator block doesn't fill in grey. The dealer suspects it's part of breaking in the linear float or whatever provides the reading. Isn't there a float adjustment?
never ever heard of a float having to be Broke in on a new vehicle of any type. I call BS on that dealers answer.

fuel floats can be adjusted on anything. now how easy to do it hmmmm? some are easy some are not .
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 am quote
OP: if it makes you feel better, my 2018 does the same thing. Takes longer to go down when topped off though, so it all works out toward the bottom of the fuel tank...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
fuel floats can be adjusted on anything. now how easy to do it hmmmm? some are easy some are not .
I changed the sending unit on my LX150 thinking it was bad. Turns out it was a broken wire under the floor.

Inspecting the float mechanism made it obvious to me that there is no adjustment.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri May 31, 2019 5:43 pm quote
If you look at the shape of the fuel tank, it's pretty amazing the fuel gauge seems as linear as it does.

Don't sweat the full indication - just get to know when you've got a safe 30 miles left. For me, that's when the light goes solid. I never usually fill before then, and often go twenty miles after it goes solid. Very rarely put in more than 2 US gallons in the GTS, usually more like 1.7 gal.
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super; 2004 Vespa GT200
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:39 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
Mine does the exact same thing! (2019 GTS 300 Super) When I fill up, there's a single line that does not fill in. Well, after a couple of miles, it'll fill in for maybe a few minutes. But it's short-lived. I have only filled up a few times (<400 miles total on the odometer) so maybe it will change later. But it's a minor bother for me.
Hooked
GTS 300
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:13 pm quote
jimc wrote:
If you look at the shape of the fuel tank, it's pretty amazing the fuel gauge seems as linear as it does.

Don't sweat the full indication - just get to know when you've got a safe 30 miles left. For me, that's when the light goes solid. I never usually fill before then, and often go twenty miles after it goes solid. Very rarely put in more than 2 US gallons in the GTS, usually more like 1.7 gal.
Last time the gauge went solid I reset the trip odometer. After 12 miles I filled her. Next time I'll try 25 mi....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, S 150, GTS 250
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:48 pm quote
My fuel indicators all are not accurate.
Hooked
GTS 300
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:14 am quote
There's enough folks who have inaccurate fuel readings that I might call it a quality control issue. Come on Vespa!
Will they be at AmeriVespa?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:40 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
There's enough folks who have inaccurate fuel readings that I might call it a quality control issue. Come on Vespa!
For those Vespas that have analogue gauges rather than digital, it'd be almost impossible to provide an accurately linear gauge. The digital ones (bars or stepper motor) could of course be made pretty accurate.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
Have you owned other motorcycles/scooters? They are all about the same from what I have owned.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:10 pm quote
NightWing wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
I changed the sending unit on my LX150 thinking it was bad. Turns out it was a broken wire under the floor.

Inspecting the float mechanism made it obvious to me that there is no adjustment.
well looking at a fuel float unit for a vespa 150 looks to me there is a metal arm that is attached to the float itself. seems to me a person with reasonable skills can bend that arm to achieve the desired float height they want.

fuel gauge.jpg

Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:01 pm quote
As other's have said, it's not just a you thing. But remember that we used to live just fine with out tank level gauges, instead use one of the trip odo's. My Sprint150 reliably gets between 120-130 miles before the low tank light blinks. Implying that I could do about 150 if I wanna go completely dry. So I can estimate how much fuel I've got based on the number on the odo/150. Your numbers will be different but it's a good way to get to know your bike.

That said, I guess the larger question though is what are you looking to gain by knowing that you have exactly 31/64ths of a tank?
Hooked
GTS 300
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 am quote
notbenh wrote:
As other's have said, it's not just a you thing. But remember that we used to live just fine with out tank level gauges, instead use one of the trip odo's. My Sprint150 reliably gets between 120-130 miles before the low tank light blinks. Implying that I could do about 150 if I wanna go completely dry. So I can estimate how much fuel I've got based on the number on the odo/150. Your numbers will be different but it's a good way to get to know your bike.

That said, I guess the larger question though is what are you looking to gain by knowing that you have exactly 31/64ths of a tank?
My first car was a VW Beetle w/o a fuel gauge. Occasionally I would pull over and dip a stick into the fuel tank under the front hood. Once on a date with Laura I ran out of gas and she was shocked the way I would check the level. That was my second and last date with her. That's why I'm so anal about accurate fuel readings. She was a good make-out. I eventually installed a fuel gauge with a float in my Bug.
My GTS has a pillion and top case with a back pad. If we ever rendezvous I don't want to run out of gas again.
Last night I filled it to the brim and the last block was filled in. After about a mile it faded. Working on how much fuel is left when the low fuel indicator turns solid so I reset the trip odometer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
NightWing wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

well looking at a fuel float unit for a vespa 150 looks to me there is a metal arm that is attached to the float itself. seems to me a person with reasonable skills can bend that arm to achieve the desired float height they want.
The sending unit on my LX150 did not look like that. There was no arm.

https://www.scooterwest.com/lx-fuel-sender-unit-cm025702.html
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 am quote
My 2007 GTS has an LCD bar graph gauge. It is fairly linear and accurate. I had a Buddy with an analog gauge that was not so much. It would read full until the tank was half empty. Whe the gauge read 1/4 you had 15 miles to get to a station. I always went by the trip meter..
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 am quote
I have never had a PTW with an accurate fuel indicator. I just keep track of mpg. When I near the last gallon based on my average mpg I just refuel. I also use the average mpg to determine how many gallons to pump before having to spoon feed the last 1/2 gallon or so to ensure no overfill.
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:49 am quote
I met the Piaggio representative and a tech at AMERIVESPA. After telling them how much I enjoy my new GTS I mentioned the linear LCD fuel gauge is inaccurate as posted here previously. The well inked tech confirmed there's no adjustment. I respectfully requested that future models have an adjustment so riders can dial in the reading. They were surprised to hear it was a situation on the new linear gauge.
Apparently, as I seen here, everyone accepts inaccuracy as part of Vespa. So you don't complain to the dealer and dealers don't tell Vespa so they don't know or don't want to know there's a problem with a simple fix by installing an adjustment screw.
As a Sales and Marketing Director for our company, I rely on outside feedback from dealers and users to modify or improve products. If we keep issues to ourselves they will never be addressed by the manufacturer.
I don't think a work around by how much mileage can be achieved when the low fuel light illuminates is acceptable.
My money is hard earned to pay for a premium scoot with a premium price and I expect/want everything to work properly.
After 75 years all the bugs should be out!
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:57 am quote
Also told them the fill and spill scenario that everyone accepts while refueling is upsetting since gasoline damages paint, motor and ourselves.
Side reflectors were added to pass NHSTA requirements.
Our govt would not approve motor vehicles with faulty gas tanks.
If Vespas were manufactured in USA they would never pass unless issues are addressed.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:56 pm quote
RP Tech wrote:
I met the Piaggio representative and a tech at AMERIVESPA. After telling them how much I enjoy my new GTS I mentioned the linear LCD fuel gauge is inaccurate as posted here previously. The well inked tech confirmed there's no adjustment. I respectfully requested that future models have an adjustment so riders can dial in the reading. They were surprised to hear it was a situation on the new linear gauge.
Apparently, as I seen here, everyone accepts inaccuracy as part of Vespa. So you don't complain to the dealer and dealers don't tell Vespa so they don't know or don't want to know there's a problem with a simple fix by installing an adjustment screw.
As a Sales and Marketing Director for our company, I rely on outside feedback from dealers and users to modify or improve products. If we keep issues to ourselves they will never be addressed by the manufacturer.
I don't think a work around by how much mileage can be achieved when the low fuel light illuminates is acceptable.
My money is hard earned to pay for a premium scoot with a premium price and I expect/want everything to work properly.
After 75 years all the bugs should be out!
I am glad that you are enjoying your Vespa. They are great rides.

The quirks add to the enjoyment for most of us.

Perfection can get boring after a while.

My Yamaha does everything perfectly.

I choose to ride the Vespas most of the time.

Bill
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm quote
I haven't run the same test on my GTS, but when I bought my 2008 BMW 1200GS, I tested the range function by riding it until it showed 0 range. I took odometer reading and continued riding. After 8kms (5miles) it spluttered and cut out. I stopped and lay it over onto its left cylinder for around 20 seconds*. I started it up again and continued riding very slowly... At 12.5kms (7.8miles) it spluttered and died.

I reckoned that was accurate enough!

*The BMW fuel pump is on the LH side of the tank, but the surplus return feeds back to the RH side in order to help cool the fuel pump. If the LH side is empty, there is still some fuel in the RH side of the tank. Older models had single fuel petcocks on the LH side and this trick helped to get fuel from the RH side of the partly divided tank to where the petcock was.
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 pm quote
I am glad that you are enjoying your Vespa. They are great rides.

The quirks add to the enjoyment for most of us.

Perfection can get boring after a while.

My Yamaha does everything perfectly.

I choose to ride the Vespas most of the time.

Bill[/quote]

Hi Bill. At a young age my dad taught me his trade of clock and watch repair. Timepieces must be repaired perfectly and set for accuracy, otherwise the customer will rightfully return it.
This is why I am unable to lower my standards and accept mediocrity from Piaggio/Vespa.
Hooked
GTS 300
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 am quote
Last night when it was cooler I went 47 miles after the low fuel indicator illuminated. Maybe next time I'll push 50 miles. But that's it. I'm aware the fuel pump depends on tank volume to prevent the pump from overheating.

Just a shame I have to calculate miles left to ride instead of depending on the fuel gauge. So I reset the trip odometer when the light turns ON and fuel before 50 miles is up.
I get a solid 75 MPG.
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 am quote
Hope you get that sorted out. It's a bummer not knowing, unless you just get accustomed to it.

My Aprilia is waaay off. A full tank reads 1/2 and within a short time it shows empty. I know the mileage I get, so I just filled up at an even 100 mile mark on the odometer and fill up at subsequent 100 mile marks.

On my P200E I just rode until it quit, pulled in the clutch, flipped the lever over to reserve, popped the clutch and stopped at the next station.

Still, your bike is new. And pricey. It should work. I'd call it a "warranty issue".
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:43 am quote
My GTS, while being my first Vespa, is my 2nd scooter and 6th PTW. Not a one had a precision accuracy fuel gauge or foolproof filling method. This is from Triumph to BMW to Kawasaki to Genuine, from sports bikes to cruisers to dual sports to standards. Itís not supposed to be precise. Itís something to keep you from flying blind. Thatís not to say theyíre unreliable, but you just need to take a little bit to figure out how to interpret each one. Itís like a clutch in that regard. Thereís an industry tolerance, but beyond that you have a small learning curve. If that bothers you, wait until you discover the optimistic speedometers that are even MORE individual to each motorcycle and scooter, regardless of make or model!

I use an app to track fuel, mileage, and maintenance. I used to use pen and paper, but I kept forgetting. An app is easier for me to remember and quicker. I learned that when the dummy light (low fuel light) starts flickering, I should think about where I am. When it goes solid, start calmly looking for a gas station. If Iím worried about running out of fuel or new to a bike, I bring an MSR fuel bottle with me filled with premium gas.

If itís autumn, I usually bring the fuel bottle regardless. Iíve used it once, maybe twice in my own bike...half a dozen times for motorcycles or scooters that ran dry. It happens.

Edit to add: Thereís accuracy and consistency. They may not be accurate, but they ARE consistent. Thatís what really matters, IMHO.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am quote
I dunno.

I check the fuel gauge periodically, when the light comes on I make a point of getting to a gas station in the next 20 miles or so. I'm usually withing 0.2 gallons on my fills.

What's not to love?
Hooked
PX 150
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am quote
NightWing wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
NightWing wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

The sending unit on my LX150 did not look like that. There was no arm.

https://www.scooterwest.com/lx-fuel-sender-unit-cm025702.html
That is because it is the sending unit for a PX150.
https://www.scooterwest.com/fuel-sending-unit-vespa-pxe-228090.html
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2947s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0470s) ][ Debug on ]