MP3 400 vibration at cruising speed
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 400
Thu May 30, 2019 4:39 pm quote
My wife's 2009 MP3 400 has had vibration at 60-65 MPH and up since the dealer changed the front tires two years ago. All the tires have been balanced twice, but the vibration is still there.

These tires are ones used by the dealer for their regular scooters. The name on the sidewall is "MMG Tires" and they are made in China. I've never seen these before and think that they might not be suitable on an MP3.

Before we buy new brand name tires, is there anything that needs to be checked that might be causing this problem?

If not, what would be good replacements?

Any help would be appreciated.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu May 30, 2019 4:56 pm quote
I have never heard of MMG tires, but I'll guess they aren't quite round.

As I see it you have a few choices.

Live with it. I mean, it HAS been two years....
Buy new tires like Michelin City Grips (or other high quality brand/model).
Squirt a bottle of RideOn or similar balancer/sealer in there.

Personally I'd suggest going to another shop, and having new tires with a solid reputation installed and balanced.

Perchance the "normal" scooters they typically install these MMG tires, are they also Chinese built ~50cc types? Maybe they just don't work on anything that goes over 30 MPH.....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 pm quote
first off they are under rated for your scooter. only have a J rating for 68mph

So yes replacing them is a must no question.

highly recommend you get the michelin city grips. Great all around tire in all conditions with excellent wear.

https://www.motosport.com/michelin-city-grip-front-scooter-tire?selected_color=X001&variant[MIC002S]=MIC002S-X001-Y001

next find a good installer who has experience mounting and balancing smaller rim sized tires. make sure you remove all the wheel weights before you take them in as this way you know for sure if they balanced them as they have to install new weights and not just tell you oh yeah they are balanced and they didn't do it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 pm quote
About that squirting of RideOn, to clarify....

I use RideOn in all my scooter tires, pretty much always have.
I like the stuff.
I also install my own tires, and static balance them prior to the RideOn treatment.

Don't squirt RideOn into your tires to try to fix the balance issue, ESPECIALLY if the wheels have already been 'balanced' twice; you'd be throwing perfectly good stuff into a drain.

Get the new tires.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Fri May 31, 2019 6:11 am quote
You could try "CounterAct Balance Beads". 2oz is in each tire.
Remove the Weights that are stuck on.

I have had real good luck using this method on all my bikes that I don't balance them anymore. I have even done my "Garden Variety; Motorcycle Trailer" with 15" Tires, I put 3.5oz in each tire (Single Axle) and it is night and day pulling the Trailer.

This being said, I only run with City Grips...

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 31, 2019 11:43 am quote
folks the op has the WRONG RATED TIRES on and they need to be changed to the proper spec tire FIRST.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
folks the op has the WRONG RATED TIRES on and they need to be changed to the proper spec tire FIRST.
I think I said that.

Twice.
MP3 400
Fri May 31, 2019 5:14 pm quote
Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like my suspicion about these off brand tires is correct. Hard to believe that a dealer would do this.

As for the replacement tires, right now we are leaning toward the Pirelli Diablo since that is what is on the rear. Don't know if matching tires make any difference, but it just seems right.

But I still want to see what old as dirt thinks about his new Angels in another thread here. I could still change my mind.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 pm quote
Grognard49 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like my suspicion about these off brand tires is correct. Hard to believe that a dealer would do this.

As for the replacement tires, right now we are leaning toward the Pirelli Diablo since that is what is on the rear. Don't know if matching tires make any difference, but it just seems right.

But I still want to see what old as dirt thinks about his new Angels in another thread here. I could still change my mind.
I'll be installing them on monday as the weekends for me is boat time for my wife. happy wife happy life. And right now she is having to work OT, last week 57hrs and she needs her relaxing down time cruising the lake.

Edit: I currently have the diablos on the fronts and like them but they do wear fast.
MP3 400
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am quote
Ordered a set of Diablos for the MP3 today. Installation is next week. The Piaggio dealer wouldn't help since the tires were over 1 year old. So we are bypassing him on the new tires.

With our short riding season here in Northern Michigan, the shorter life on the Diablos probably won't matter as much. Besides, we have a great enclosed trailer to put the bikes in if we want to explore distant locations. My former iron butt is suffering from metal fatigue.

Looking forward to some more enjoyable high speed touring this summer.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2412s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0545s) ][ Debug on ]