PX 150 Clutch Rebuild
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
05' PX150
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 am quote
I hope this is the right thread since this is not a mod but it is a project.

So I've found all of the readily available instructions on this procedure but still have a few questions. I got my clutch cover off.

1. Why remove the rear hub dust cover and not just take the whole rear wheel off (which I did).

2. Do I need a "special tool" to remove the clutch?

3. It was recommended that I up gear from 21T to 22T if I have 21T - good idea?

Other than that it looks pretty straight forward. The best video instruction I have found for this procedure (IMHO) is in Italian. Despite the language barrier the way the guy demonstrates the procedure is really clear. And if anyone comes by while I'm doing the job I'll look pretty cool listening to an Italian video!

All tops and suggestions appreciated.
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:16 pm quote
1. Are you talking about removing the rear brake backing plate? Iíd say take off anything that gets in the way of you removing the clutch and possibly remove the rear shock. Itíll lower the motor so youre not fighting the frame. Itís a small area to work in with the motor in the frame so do what you need to do work efficiently and not drop anything into the gearbox (woodruff key).

2. I believe the PX clutches are secured to the crankshaft by a large nut. 15mm maybe? Itís not a castellated nut with fold over tabs like the old Pís unless someoneís monkeyed with your scoot.

You will need something to hold the clutch still so you can loosen/torque the clutch nut off. Either buy the special clutch holding tool, or jam a piece of rope into the spark plug hole to jam the internals. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. You will need the clutch compressor tool.

3. Switching the clutch center to a 22 tooth is a good idea. Itíll act like a mini overdrive kit and allow your motor to run easier but still get the same rear wheel speed.

I did this change to a friends PX about two years ago so I may have goofed on some info. I already texted him to make sure this is what he did. If its wrong, Iíll make sure to edit this.

In the future, iíd say post these kinds of questions in the NSM section. Seems like most traffic here is ongoing restoration, not rebuild questions. Youíll get faster and more correct information posting it there in the future.

If you have any questions PM me. I can help you real time in English. Itís definitely not as cool sounding as Italian
05' PX150
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:54 pm quote
Haha thanks MJRally.

I understand the bit about removing all that interferes with access. I'm still working on a good way to raise and support the scooter for jobs like this. I also discovered that I do not have the castellated nut and I think I can make use of one of the three clutch cover bolts to secure the clutch while removing. I will home brew a compression tool to rebuild the clutch. I'm leaning away from messing with the 22T but maybe I'll change my mind once inside before I order parts.
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:14 pm quote
A 22T clutch center is pricy but definitely something you should invest in if you run hard/wide open throttle for any length of time. Your motor will run much easier at speed. If youíre just putting around town you can live without it.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.3681s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0463s) ][ Debug on ]