Choosing a battery.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:14 pm quote
Greetings y'all.
If/when I need a new battery and I have found the right model in the shop, should I test each one with a multimeter to find the one with highest charge, or not?

I imagine some might have been sitting on the shelf for ages and not in the best condition. I've never used/owned a multimeter and been thinking about getting an el cheapo to mess about with. My knowledge about electrical things is very limited, so please be gentle.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:52 pm quote
Don't worry about the charge on the batteries in the shop. You'll have to give it a full charge anyway when you get it home, and they come with a warranty.
Hooked
BV 350
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:46 pm quote
Which shop?
The state of charge is pretty irrelevant. If they'd let you charge them fully, then put them on a current tester, that might tell you something. Mostly I'd look for the newest one, since age is to some degree is a factor.

The place I buy them from (a wholesaler that also does retail) sells them dry, with the acid separate. You add the acid, charge them, and seal them up. That way you know they are fresh.

But most of the time you are just rolling the dice when it comes to a battery. Almost no way of knowing which one might have problems until you use it for a year or two.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:41 am quote
ive been using Anitgravity batteries in all my scooters... they are so much lighter and smaller than my oem batteries...higher cca than oem too...

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

the ones i have are pseudo smart - they can tell when they are almost all the way drained and will shut off...leaving just enough juice to start the bike with a button on the battery..i believe the new ones have a key fob that you can just activate rather than having to access the battery to push that reserve start button...

lith ion....you will need a special charger - reg chargers will destroy these
2019 Primavera Sport
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am quote
jixaw wrote:
ive been using Anitgravity batteries in all my scooters... they are so much lighter and smaller than my oem batteries...higher cca than oem too...

the ones i have are pseudo smart - they can tell when they are almost all the way drained and will shut off...leaving just enough juice to start the bike with a button on the battery..i believe the new ones have a key fob that you can just activate rather than having to access the battery to push that reserve start button...

Ahah! iv been looking for a good lithium battery for a scooter. Thank ya kindly!
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 am quote
no worries....the restart feature is a nice backup starting procedure if you are using a newer scooter without a kick start
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:30 pm quote
jixaw wrote:

Re-read the documentation I bet have more CA, not CCA. not the same thing. CA is at 70°, CCA is at 32°
Also Lithium Batteries work best in a slow draw application, not a fast draw like starting a motor.
Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). GT 200 - Kymco Yager 200i
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:31 pm quote
I’ve bought a few Yuasa batteries over the years with mixed results. Last year, I decided to try an Amazon “special” for my Kymco. I think I paid a little over thirty bucks delivered. Best battery I’ve owned so far. This is a back-up scooter, so it goes unused for long periods sometimes. This cheap battery holds a charge better than the $100 battery it replaced.
Had to pay dealer price for a Yuasa Battery on a Vespa last year because I really thought my problem lay elsewhere, and brought it in for service.
Next time, when any of my scooters needs a battery, I will try a cheap one first. At that price, it’s worth a try.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 am quote
You can tell a good battery by its weight compared to others of the same amp rating. The heaver battery has more lead and should last longer.

So when shopping, compare the weight of the batteries.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4959s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0637s) ][ Debug on ]