OP
UTC

Custom vespa et2

Custom vespa et2
UTC quote
Hey guys, just bought a new 17.5mm carb for my et2 has been parked up for years and seals were gone on the old 12mm carb, I have the new carb in and have a red malossi air filter in the box with the snorkel removed. I don't know what size main jet came in the carb as it wasn't marked. I have steadily gone up in size till I was at an 88 main jet and with the air mixture screw all the way in the bike is still running a little lean. Am I missing something? Has a Leo vinci pipe. Thanks
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
Put the air box fully back on with the stock filter mate.

You do not need the red, not even nearly.

Then you'll probably start winding stuff back and lowering your main jet.
@ned81 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET2 2004

Enthusiast
@ned81 avatar
ET2 2004
UTC quote
As Bill says I'd just go with the standard black filter and closed airbox. From memory mines got a 62 main jet and the standard type filter, the plug is a good colour and it does high 40's mph on the speedo (so low 40's in reality then...). It ran like absolute crap a few weeks ago and all it was was the airbox wasn't quite snapped shut properly

Cheers
Rich
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
UTC quote
How do you know it's lean? Is it only lean at WOT or idle and mid throttle?
Your air/fuel screw is only for the idle, if it's all the way in then your pilot jet is too big. This has nothing to do with being lean for much above idle but is still a problem. 88 sounds like a good place to start if it's to lean go to 90. I would get the pilot jet sorted out then go to the needle and slide for mid range then worry about the main jet.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
This is just a thought.

The LX50 2 stroke, stock had in its earlier years a 57 main jet, then on later models it went up to 63.

What is actually different between the ET2 and LX50 2T?

My LX then had a 70cc head, performance exhaust, variator....the works, and I was still under a 70 main jet from memory.

If there fundamental differences then discount everything I've said, but if they are the same 88 seems way too high.
@siggy_javotnik avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 GT200, 77 Serveta Jet 200

Hooked
@siggy_javotnik avatar
05 GT200, 77 Serveta Jet 200
UTC quote
Re: Carb main jet et2
Wasp2s wrote:
I have steadily gone up in size till I was at an 88 main jet and with the air mixture screw all the way in the bike is still running a little lean.
If your bike runs with the air mixture screw turned fulled closed, you have an air leak. You cannot accurately jet until you fix the air leak.

Spray WD-40 around the carb fittings, one at a time, while idling. If the bike races, that spot is your air leak.

For reference, people with a 70cc kit and aftermarket exhaust seem to run 80-88 main jets on 17.5 PHVA carbs, with 85 being the most common end point. If you've got a stock 50cc and stock pipe, an 88 main jet on a 17.5 PHVA carb seems way too big. An air leak would explain it.

Good luck, these are super fun bikes and a bigger carb is a smart idea! A 12mm carb is silly small, Vespa must have used such a small carb for emissions purposes. My Tomos moped has a bigger carb. Stock, 14mm PHVA.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Custom vespa et2

Custom vespa et2
UTC quote
Thanks so much guys, 17.5 mm carb 85 jet malossi red sponge filter in stock box, lighter rollers stiffer springs in clutch, Leo vinci touring exhaust derestricted, baffle removed. bike is running great, still feels like it wants to go faster but is doing 72kph on flats. Deffinatly thinking of putting the 70cc malossi cast iron kit on next.
Will post some pics soon, have brown gv leather dual seat with lx rear brake light and aftermarket lx back carrier, with grab handles. So great full for all the help,
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
UTC quote
Siggy Javotnik wrote:
For reference, people with a 70cc kit and aftermarket exhaust seem to run 80-88 main jets on 17.5 PHVA carbs, with 85 being the most common end point. If you've got a stock 50cc and stock pipe, an 88 main jet on a 17.5 PHVA carb seems way too big.
What about an ET2 with a 70cc kit, 19mm PHBG, Leo Vince Touring (derestricted), stock airbox with the 3 holes Malossi instructed to drill and a red Malossi filter? Bike has good throttle response for the first 1/8 throttle, feels and sounds like it's getting too much gas through the midrange, and is strong WOT. I'm running a 90 jet now.

On another note, just tried to do my first plug chop, made it about 2 miles WOT and the bike just suddenly died like it wasn't getting gas. Had to push it home, gave up trying to start it and two days later it started at the first push of the button. I've tried to troubleshoot it, could it possibly have been starved for fuel since I didn't swap out the gas cap like it I was instructed to do in the carb manual?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0316s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0086s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]