Radiator fan whining
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Yellow 2018 GTS 300 Super Sport
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 pm quote
Hey all,

It's starting to get pretty hot here in DC and after a reasonably long ride the radiator fan on the left side of my 2017 GTS 300 kicks on and is crazy loud. It has a startling whine sound to it and starts pushing out some serious hot air. I imagine pushing hot air out is a good thing, but I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to sound like this. I've got about 1,000 miles on this thing and got it last summer. It happened once last year, but didn't repeat, so I kinda forgot about it.

Any advice on how to fix it? Or should I take it to get serviced?

Cheers
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm quote
I will be curious about this noise. I watched a video about a Pastor who bought a 300 and it did the same on his first ride. Beautiful bike but I donít believe it should be that loud.
Good luck keep us posted.
Tom
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:40 pm quote
Re: Radiator fan whining
MezcalNerd wrote:
and is crazy loud.
That is so you know it is running?
Ossessionato
GTS 250ie
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:16 pm quote
It is a high-speed fan operating a few inches from your left leg in a compartment that is open in the front and side.

That's what it sounds like.

Beats overheating.

The laws of physics do not exist for your convenience.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:33 pm quote
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 am quote
It is quite loud when it runs - but it's not a whine. If it's remotely like a screeching noise of any sort, then it's probable the bearings are seizing up and the motor will be drawing excess current. If it gets any worse, the fuse will blow - tell-tales are that the headlight goes out and the seat opener won't work.

It's quite common for the fan motor bearings to dry out, being that they're constantly in a stream of hot air, and are rarely exercised.

When this happens, repair is impractical and the fan motor has to be replaced.

Last edited by jimc on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 am quote
jimc wrote:
It is quite loud when it runs - but it's not a whine. If it's remotely like a screeching noise of any sort, then it's probable the bearings are seizing up and the motor will be awing excess current. If it gets any worse, the fuse will blow - tell-tales are that the headlight goes out and the seat opener won't work.

It's quite common for the fan motor bearings to dry out, being that they're constantly in a stream of hot air, and are rarely exercised.

When this happens, repair is impractical and the fan motor has to be replaced.
Yes it could be this for sure. However sound reproduction through written word is subjective. The fan does sound pretty loud and I could see how someone that has only heard it a few times would describe it that way. I know the first modern Vespa I've owned that did it freaked me out a little the first time.

If it makes this sound and then stops after a shortish while at least it's doing the job and engine is being cooled. With the crappy spring/summer we are having here I think mine has so far only kicked in a few times . Best way I find to set it off on a warm day is to go up a steep hill.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 am quote
The fan is small and has to run several times to cool the two radiators, perhaps helping to cool less than the liquid should be changed over the whole circuit, the dispersion characteristics are attenuated after periods of operation with a lot of heat stress...it's a possibility; or more simply the coolant is at a low level
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1350s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0261s) ][ Debug on ]