2010 GTS300 Super - Advice needed
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2010 GTS300 Super, 2006 LX150 (sold)
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:23 am quote
Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a 2010 GTS300 Super that has ~13500kms on it. I went and had a look at it yesterday and it's in really nice shape. Tires look good, runs good (I took it for a ~50km test drive), brakes feel solid with good bite, no weird smells or smoke, starts and idles good.

The owner is the 2nd owner and has had it for 3 years and doesn't use it anyone, he's an older guy (probably around 70). He hasn't done anything to it maintenance-wise other than annual oil changes.

Other than change the oil what sort of maintenance should I be looking at (belt, brake fluid?) and what costs should I expect?
2010 GTS300 Super, 2006 LX150 (sold)
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 am quote
I asked the 2nd owner if the belt was original to the bike and he didn't know.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:57 am quote
Well, the bike is 9 years old and that probably means all the rubber parts are 9 years old. I presume the bike has low miles and most everything is original. Beyond an oil change, I'd say flush and change both coolant and brake fluid. Then plan on replacing rubber parts including belt, tubing and hoses, and tires. Some things like tires could wait a bit if they look good, but I wouldn't wait too long. Old rubber gets stiff and no longer performs as intended. Repair costs all depend on what you are willing to do yourself.

Last edited by Dooglas on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:24 pm quote
As said above, the rubber bits are vulnerable. Especially the drive belt. The bike is 9 years old with just over 8000 miles on the clock and it's highly likely the belt will not have been changed. It is overdue and a prime candidate for breakage if that isn't done. Make sure to change the coolant in the engine too. It again is very likely that won't have been carried out so it will be very acidic. The bike should have an OAT based coolant put in it. Tyres and brake fluid too must be changed if that hasn't been done as mentioned above. Air filter ought to be checked and almost certainly changed too. They start to break up with age. Personally I'd change all the engine coolant hoses as they only have a reliable service life of 6-7years. They may look ok but probably are already well on their way to being unreliable.

With all this work required it will cost quite a bit if a dealer does the work. But if you do it yourself you can save loads of cash. Actually how much for parts is something you must pursue yourself. I've just carried out a major service on my GTS300, ie: spark plug, air filter, oil filter, oil, engine coolant, brake fluid, transmission oil, new neoprene 'o' rings for drain plug & oil strainer etc etc at a cost of 65. The work was easy but I'm a tech. You will need to add the cost of tyres and coolant hoses. These are not cheap items and you'll need to check the price of these yourself. But the dealer labour is the big thing here. Get some quotes! And good luck!
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2741s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0265s) ][ Debug on ]