Lowering the GTS 250 seat (upholstery only)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 250 2006
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:18 am quote
For all the shorties out there, I though I'd put down to pen how I lowered my seat. I'm 5' with short legs. I used to have a Yamaha Vino 125 with a seat lowered about 1" so when I got the GTS, I was very daunted by the 31.1" seat height. I'd say I got about 3" off, mostly because I'm sitting a little more forward on the seat, where it's lower and narrower, and it's actually lowered. I also have a pair of low platform shoes (2" at the heel). I can now flat foot with one foot, and comfortable toe with both.

I used instructions from this person's guide, though it was lacking some details
http://members.modernvespa.net/btfan2/uploads/vespa_alt_work_sheetand_pics_248.pdf

So here are my thoughts and additions...

Plastic
- Cutting the plastic was hard (everything is hard without the right tools). I used the soldering iron to cut the plastic of the seat
- I went close to the edge of the dip to get is as low as possible, that made it hard to merge to the remaining seat. I'd recommend a heat gun or blow torch to melt/bend the removed portions edges down so it will connect
- Be careful not to push or pull the plastic too hard, it can un-square the plastic, making closing the pet-carrier hard or require a little pushing.

Foam
- I only replaced the front half of the upholstery foam, leaving the passenger section intact. I used 1" very firm rubber foam. I used a long needle and embroidery floss to sew the new foam onto the edge of the old stuff so they didn't buckle as I pulled on the fabric
- The dip you make will be pretty damn deep, I added a circle of extra foam into the dip so i didn't sink all the way down. Made it more comfortable
- When you reattach them, I used a combo of the blow torch and butter knife, and soldering iron to merge the plastics. You may need some extra to fill in gaps. I used cut up plastic from the dollar store, but you could also use the seat cover hard plastic that comes out when you remove it
- I created a 'bulge' to keep me from slipping forward out of the old seat foam, i placed it at the front tip, then covered it with the new foam to smooth it out
- I used a knife to cut some of the edges of the foam down, to take bulk out, and keep my legs from going too wide on the seat

Upholstery
- The old fabric will stretch enough to get smooth
- Vinyl stretches best when heated. Either leave it in the sun, or use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften it up. Pull it little by little. Most of the extra fabric will be at the front tip.
- Use a heavy duty staple gun to reattach the fabric. Work from the back to the front and try to take turns left and right so you don't un-center your fabric
- Put a LOT of pressure so the staples sink in

I hope this helps someone else in the process. Good luck.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am quote
We like pictures.
Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:24 pm quote
FWIT, I lowered the seat on the GTS by cutting away the support plastic with a saws-all quite easily. Remove the cover, lift off the foam and cut. Takes about 3 minutes.
Then, I drilled 1/2" holes around the opening and created a support web using bungee cords from HD. (I remember having a seat in the '60s that used springs for the seat suspension kinda' like this.)
No mods to the foam so until you sit on it, it looks 100% normal. The reduction is about 2" effective height but SO much more comfortable!

Not the prettiest job from the underside, but next time it will be much neater. It just worked so well that I left it as is. Next time I wouldn't cut back as far toward the rear as I had to stuff a towel there to raise me back up a bit. The rope added a stiffening that could be done differently but hey, like I said it works!

thumbnail_IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6337.JPG

GTS 250 2006
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 am quote
marklehnert wrote:
FWIT, I lowered the seat on the GTS by cutting away the support plastic with a saws-all quite easily. Remove the cover, lift off the foam and cut. Takes about 3 minutes.
That's pretty damn smart. WAY less work than reattaching the plastic. Yes the it's really the front that needs to be removed.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4938s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0865s) ][ Debug on ]