[SSR] Does anyone know what kind of license plate this is?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5485
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 am quote
Hey,

I saw this older gentleman park this bike on the weekend. I'm just saying that he was older as maybe it has to do with why he had this plate? The bike seems old as well. A Kawasaki and I had to look pretty hard to find manufacturer name on anything. Found it on a little bit of lettering up by the dash.

The license just has the number 9 on it and a whole bunch of little stickers. Something I've never seen before.

IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_2314.jpeg

Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 389
Location: Texas
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:44 am quote
Re: [SSR] Does anyone know what kind of license plate this i
Harbinger wrote:
Hey,

I saw this older gentleman park this bike on the weekend. I'm just saying that he was older as maybe it has to do with why he had this plate? The bike seems old as well. A Kawasaki and I had to look pretty hard to find manufacturer name on anything. Found it on a little bit of lettering up by the dash.

The license just has the number 9 on it and a whole bunch of little stickers. Something I've never seen before.
Does Canada have vanity plates? Maybe with annual validation stickers?

Beats me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5485
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:02 am quote
Re: [SSR] Does anyone know what kind of license plate this i
25BIKEZ wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Hey,

I saw this older gentleman park this bike on the weekend. I'm just saying that he was older as maybe it has to do with why he had this plate? The bike seems old as well. A Kawasaki and I had to look pretty hard to find manufacturer name on anything. Found it on a little bit of lettering up by the dash.

The license just has the number 9 on it and a whole bunch of little stickers. Something I've never seen before.
Does Canada have vanity plates? Maybe with annual validation stickers?

Beats me.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. But to just the get the number 9? You'd have to be like 9th in line for the vanity plates... All the other little stickers are also a bit confusing. I think this may just remain a mystery unless I see the guy again.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7444
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 am quote
Re: [SSR] Does anyone know what kind of license plate this i
Harbinger wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Hey,

I saw this older gentleman park this bike on the weekend. I'm just saying that he was older as maybe it has to do with why he had this plate? The bike seems old as well. A Kawasaki and I had to look pretty hard to find manufacturer name on anything. Found it on a little bit of lettering up by the dash.

The license just has the number 9 on it and a whole bunch of little stickers. Something I've never seen before.
Does Canada have vanity plates? Maybe with annual validation stickers?

Beats me.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. But to just the get the number 9? You'd have to be like 9th in line for the vanity plates... All the other little stickers are also a bit confusing. I think this may just remain a mystery unless I see the guy again.
In Virginia you would be a congressman or senator to get a plate like that.
Two digits or less is a Govt Official of some kind around here.
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 1592
Location: Veria, Greece
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:38 am quote
Nice plate. Our motorcycle plates start from 1 up to 999. They have a "prefix" of three letters before the numbers. The first two letters represent the district and local DMV, where the plate was issued and the third letter changes in Greek alphabetical order, after 999 issued plates. That's the plate on my Fazer. It has a funny meaning if read in English

20770126_1791755720839446_786900342164717674_n.jpg

Addicted
Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 782
Location: Toronto
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:48 am quote
I believe the minimum number of characters in Ontario is currently 2, but who knows if it was once 1.

I retained the vanity plate from a car that I recently got rid of, and I might investigate getting it reissued as a motorcycle plate. But who knows if they'll do that.
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 4704
Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:06 pm quote
Nice old bike. That's a 1986 Kawasaki Concours Sport Touring. The bags look like they were made by Samsonite. I'm waiting for a gorilla to come throw them around.

-Craig
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5485
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:15 pm quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Nice old bike. That's a 1986 Kawasaki Concours Sport Touring. The bags look like they were made by Samsonite. I'm waiting for a gorilla to come throw them around.

-Craig
Good eye, yes there were Samsonite.

And yes, I remember those commercials About the same time OJ was running through airports if my memory serves me correctly.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1311
Location: Adelaide
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm quote
A plate similar to that would cost us $200 every year.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1869
Location: E. KY
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 am quote
The man that will know the answer lives in Ontario and a regular in the ADV threads- NA Trip Planning and especially therein, "Is Mexico Safe?". He is Sojerd Bakker and I'll ask him today.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5485
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
The man that will know the answer lives in Ontario and a regular in the ADV threads- NA Trip Planning and especially therein, "Is Mexico Safe?". He is Sojerd Bakker and I'll ask him today.
Thanks! Should be interesting to see what he has to say. Obviously this is not a very common plate type at all.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1869
Location: E. KY
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:34 am quote
Sjoerd says he was actually sitting in front of the Norwich LP office as he read my query. He walked in and ask about a "9 plate". Clerk had no web research method but said they've been into four digits since 1966.
The question is still out there?

BTW, he is one of the Mexico experts out there if there is such a person. He's been down there more than me times ten and I've been a bunch. A longtime Canadian rider he is who tours often and far.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5485
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Sjoerd says he was actually sitting in front of the Norwich LP office as he read my query. He walked in and ask about a "9 plate". Clerk had no web research method but said they've been into four digits since 1966.
The question is still out there?

BTW, he is one of the Mexico experts out there if there is such a person. He's been down there more than me times ten and I've been a bunch. A longtime Canadian rider he is who tours often and far.
Huh interesting... Thanks for getting back to me. I go to this place on a regular basis so if I see they guy again I am going to have to ask.
Ossessionato
GTS 250ie
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 2037
Location: Rhode Island
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Nice old bike. That's a 1986 Kawasaki Concours Sport Touring. The bags look like they were made by Samsonite. I'm waiting for a gorilla to come throw them around.

-Craig
I had those same bags on my 1981 Honda CB750K. Lots of room, no rattles.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1869
Location: E. KY
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Sjoerd says he was actually sitting in front of the Norwich LP office as he read my query. He walked in and ask about a "9 plate". Clerk had no web research method but said they've been into four digits since 1966.
The question is still out there?

BTW, he is one of the Mexico experts out there if there is such a person. He's been down there more than me times ten and I've been a bunch. A longtime Canadian rider he is who tours often and far.
Huh interesting... Thanks for getting back to me. I go to this place on a regular basis so if I see they guy again I am going to have to ask.
I got a detailed response from my riding friend in Ontario. It's in my email & my PM's from ADV. if I knew how to paste or link it I would. I feel it will be of interest to your original post and picture. Sjoerd is a detailed man if there ever was one! He often responds to riders quest for riding information with detailed instructions, maps, etc.. He's originally from Denmark.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10852
Location: Oregon City, OR
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:47 pm quote
Kantuckid wrote:
If I knew how to paste . I would.
Go to the email message. Box (highlight) the text you want to post. Right click and choose "copy". Go to MV and start a post. Put the curser where you want to insert the text you copied. Right click and select "paste". Presto.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2844s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0796s) ][ Debug on ]