Insurance and 50cc Scooters
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
lml 2t Vespa lx50 2t
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 am quote
Over here in the U.K. we need license,tax and insurance on 50cc scooters.
I read in some but not all States in the USA you don't need insurance.
How does that work if you run into a pedestrian or someone's car etc and they want to claim for repairs medical expenses etc but you have no capital?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 am quote
They will be bankrupt.

At least in CA you need a licence and insurance to ride a 50cc.
Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 am quote
Re: Insurance and 50cc Scooters
grahamlml wrote:
How does that work if you run into a pedestrian or someone's car etc and they want to claim for repairs medical expenses etc but you have no capital?
This is the way it is here in GA. When I had my ET2 I purchased insurance just to be safe, but it was not required.

To directly answer your question, if you are at fault for an accident causing injury or damage and do not have insurance, you run the risk of being sued directly. If you lose the case, there will be a judgment entered against you.
If you have no assets (such as a house where a lien could be placed), they may attempt to garnish your wages to collect.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 am quote
I have a 98 Zuma thats considered a moped and is registered as such. No operators (M class) license required. No insurance required and no state vehicle inspection required. Basically, nothing but it being registered with a "moped" tag/plate. But Im weird. I have basic insurance on it. Forget the coverage limits, would have to look it up, but its a whopping $25 a year. I also get it inspected yearly. Back in the day, mopeds were like Bearer Bonds. No rules or anything, it was like a moped wild west. That has since changed, to me its for the better.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 am quote
You can hit and injure someone with a moped as well as a scooter or a motorcycle. If you don't have liability insurance, you risk everything you own, everything you earn or ever will. Judgements don't go away just because you are broke.
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am quote
In Michigan my homeowner's insurance carries a personal liability rider for any situation where I am liable for damages for any reason. If my dog bites somebody, or I smash a rented waverunner, or I cause damage to anything where anybody else can file a claim, that rider covers me. And since a moped does not require insurance, any damage I may cause while riding my scooter is covered under this same policy.

People who do not own homes can get the same coverage via a renter's insurance policy which covers their personal possessions, as well as providing liability coverage for whatever reason.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:41 am quote
Re: Insurance and 50cc Scooters
grahamlml wrote:
You are screwed if you have property or money.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 am quote
NightWing wrote:
You can hit and injure someone with a moped as well as a scooter or a motorcycle. If you don't have liability insurance, you risk everything you own, everything you earn or ever will. Judgements don't go away just because you are broke.
yup...you could do the same on a bicycle...if i had a 50cc registered as a moped i'd be more worried about theft or someone hitting me than an accident where i kill someone, at least where i live...i think more of a case could be made if you regularly ride in a city...where there are more pedestrians, cyclists and cars parked on the side of the road...but here anything that goes over 30mph needs insurance but there are ways around that

definitions

moped
A moped must have an automatic transmission, an
engine capacity that doesnít exceed 50 cc and can
not go faster than 30 miles an hour. A moped needs
a registration sticker from the Registry of Motor
Vehicles to operate on the roads, and can be parked
on a sidewalk.

limited use
The new law that takes effect July 31 includes
an additional category of two- to three-wheeled
vehicles, called ďlimited useĒ vehicles. These vehicles
can go faster than 30 mph and reach a top speed
of 40 miles an hour. Unlike mopeds, these vehicles
need to meet federal safety certification, be titled,
inspected, insured and registered with the RMV
which now has a distinctive plate for limited use
vehicles. An operator of a limited use vehicle must
have a driverís license unless it is federally certified as
a motorcycle, then a motorcycle license or permit is
required.

motorcycle
A two- or three-wheeled cycle that goes faster than
40 miles an hour can be registered as a motorcycle.
An operator needs a motorcycle license to operate,
and the motorcycle must meet federal safety
certification for a motorcycle, be titled, insured,
inspected and registered with a motorcycle plate.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am quote
Don't know how people ride without insurance. Hell I pay $35 a year per bike for liability insurance, but not comfortable stopping there as you have no protection if you are hit by an un or under insured driver, so I pay another $175 a year for uninsured motorist. That way if I get hit, and they don't have any or enough insurance, mine picks it up for the vehicle AND my medical bills.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm quote
Danger Will Robinson, Danger
Remember each State has different insurance rules/regulations/laws.

In my State, insurance is required on any motorized vehicle that is driven
on public streets.

In my State, Homeowners insurance only extends Liability Coverage from the home to small motorized vehicles 50cc Scoots, ATVs, Snowmobiles while they are on your property. If you leave your property, insurance may not be required (Off Road) but there is no liability coverage from the Home Policy off your premises/property.

As stated by prior posts (much wisdom) buy a policy!

Bob Copeland
2010 GTS300 Super, 2006 LX150 (sold)
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 pm quote
For the cost of PL&PD on a 50cc I don't know why you wouldn't get it, the risk is too big IMHO.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:32 pm quote
Have our UK friends heard of what is sometimes called a "likker cycle" in the USA? It derives from the reality that some states allow under 50cc scoots to be ridden w/o a DL or insurance and the riders on those cheapo scooters from China are DUI folks who have no logical choices for affording insurance. I once had a secretary who told me her entire paycheck went to paying her husbands prohibitive risk insurance. He was a pipeline welder who traveled for high hourly rates so it sort of worked out.
There are huge differences in insurance rates between various USA locations and those who are insured therein. I pay barely over $100 yrly for full coverage on my new 2018 GTS.
While in Canada last week fishing I saw injury lawyer billboards as is so common here in USA. They are EVERYWHERE! TV too!
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm quote
In Missouri those little scooters seem wear 49cc plate, if anything and I know itís not required for the operator to have a motorcycle validation on their driverís license, but go east over the river and that same scooter is now in violation of our Illinois laws, insurance and registration and motorcycle endorsement required and we have 2 classes for those plates and the validation on your drivers license. Oh and where some states allow a person to just have a motorcycle license, herein Il you have to be 16 or older and be a licensed driver to run anything with s motor on public streets and roads. If you loose your driving privileges you also have lost your motorcycle privilege too.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:46 pm quote
Back before mopeds required tags in VA, I had a 2001 Zuma. I also owned a motorcycle. So I went to pay my crazy high motorcycle insurance (I got caught causing trouble on the motorcycle) and took the moped that day. The insurance lady at the office asked if I had any insurance on the moped. I was like, "What? No. I doesnt have a tag on it." She said they just go by the VIN and if the model comes up in their computer. So she looked it up and gave me a quote to add it onto my motorcycle insurance policy. It was like $80 a year liability, my motorcycle insurance was $2500 a year liability. Did I mention I got in trouble? I eventually sold the motorcycle and have had a scooter in the 2 wheel fleet ever since. Have always put insurance on my mopeds just for the piece of mind, even my PUCH Newport!
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:40 am quote
Without typing waay too much here, I can say that when you have an "incident" with any road vehicle, the other party will frequently lie. between myself as a rider and driver for a long time (age75) and our having raised 3 sons, we have had our share of this crap. It almost seems at times like the system from the get go is leaned toward the bad drivers? Think no-fault as just one e.g. of the way we who try to be safe out there pay dearly for the other segment. I really need to get off this rant aspect now...
I do often wonder what result comes from the seemingly non-criminal drivers who cause serious injuries or death from their poor or negligent driving? We see it in everyday driving and the news in the form of failures to yield right of way, illegal turns, passing and such and running red lights as is so common now but once a near never seen event. We here about the results of murders and other "hot news" all the time, see the bad guys dragging into court in orange jump suits, etc., but are they prosecuting those "soccer moms, texters, etc." who do the stuff that kills us? We NEVER SEE THOSE RESULTS"!
I had one of those situations while sitting still in a parking lot last year and a young girl hit me, then said I was backing up and hit her. The cop and our same place insurance bought her version and what should have cost her, cost me and could have easily killed my wife who was standing near by a few feet away as this happened. As these events of "careless operator" proliferate, I worry that we will all sort of give in to that as the new reality of whats acceptable?
Addicted

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:35 am quote
Insurance is not needed in florida for any ptw, unless financed and bank wants it.. Everything spelled correctly! Would not want to confuse anyone.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1518s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0443s) ][ Debug on ]