@earthly_amy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200L Daring Plum

Enthusiast
@earthly_amy avatar
GT200L Daring Plum
UTC quote
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/d/jamaica-plain-2007-vespa-gt200/6908662088.html

I FINALLY found a Daring Plum 200GT - something I've been lusting after for oh, I don't know, six or seven years.

It's got 6,670 miles and from the photos it looks like it's in pretty good shape. It wouldn't be too hard for me to travel down to Jamaica Plain, MA with a trailer to try it out. Or not. I have a long-expired motorcycle permit and I've never ridden an actual Vespa before.

Anyway, I think the seller's asking too much ($3,300 obo) for its age but I don't know what's fair to offer. KBB's motorcycle lookup says $2750.

Opinions, please?

Attached is a photo of the lovely thing
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
The mileage for the age is low, and the top box is a plus. What service has it had, how old/new are the tires? And those book prices run low, condition of the motorcycles, and scooters are motorcycles, matters, extras like top boxes, crash bars raise the value, as does condition, and this 1 looks very good, from the photo I saw.
Another factor on price has to do with availability, Vespa/Piaggio are not cheap Chinese scooters that you can find everywhere. Nor are they Harley's which sure show up in multitudes on any Craig's list I have looked at. And some of that value is very personal, I like my white GTS, l love my silver LXV, but think it might get a paint job some winter to a bright, noticeable color and I treasure my vintage P125x.
And what you can afford matters a LOT, it's not just buying the scooter and getting it home, it's taxes, title fee, plates cost, it's insurance and winter storage. Upkeep, servicing and repairs...
@fishcutter44 avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 Chetak, 17 Kymco Like 200i, 65 Fuji Rabbit Touring, 14 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Hooked
@fishcutter44 avatar
05 Chetak, 17 Kymco Like 200i, 65 Fuji Rabbit Touring, 14 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
UTC quote
Are those oil spots under the photo? I don't want to rain on your parade, but might be worth checking if the scoot is leaking oil or gear fluid IMHO
OP
@earthly_amy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200L Daring Plum

Enthusiast
@earthly_amy avatar
GT200L Daring Plum
UTC quote
Thanks, maggiegirl

Everything you say is true. In truth I don't have $3k+ in hand, which has kept me from acquiring a Vespa thus far. I feel like this scooter is well worth it, but may have to wait a while longer. But thanks for your input.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Those oil spots do raise some questions. Nerd emoticon

IMO asking price is high for the age, the topbox is the only accessory, so not much added value there. What is important at this age is the age of the tires and other rubber bits. You'll need to find out how much has been changed out. If the tires are say, under 5 years old, and hoses have been updated, coolant and oil changed on schedule, it's worth a lot more than if not.

If you're liking it, throw out a number and see what they say. Nerd emoticon If they're motivated, you might get a good deal.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
I'll bet the oil spots are from another vehicle. They don't seem to fit a pattern for a scooter, centered in the driveway in front of the garage.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
fishcutter44 wrote:
Are those oil spots under the photo? I don't want to rain on your parade, but might be worth checking if the scoot is leaking oil or gear fluid IMHO
With the paint in that condition, do you really think that it was parked there on a regular basis with a garage 5 feet in front of the scooter?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
Re: Too much money for a 2007?
Earthly Amy wrote:
I FINALLY found a Daring Plum 200GT - something I've been lusting after for oh, I don't know, six or seven years.
Don't let a couple of hundred dollars get in between you and the scooter. If you want it that badly, get it.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
If not new, tires are 12 yo and aged out. That could be a couple hundred bucks. Oil change? Clear title? Otherwise scooter looks fantastic and with the top box and windshield, wow! Price is whatever you can afford if you gotta have it.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
This is what I found.
https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/vespa/gt-200/2007/
Notice that it's a dealer price.
I've noticed that here in FL the best deals are late fall when owners realize that they went another summer without riding. It's getting close to Christmas and they need the extra cash. Sure it would be nice to ride this summer but if money is the determining factor, give them an offer and see if they take it.
If they counter with the low miles, ask them how many times they changed the coolant/brake fluid, what's the age of the ties/fuel lines.
Remember, you could live without the top box if they bring it up
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
With the $3300 OBO price, I bet they're looking to get $3K.
Look at the tires like previously said and if they're older or look worn, use that as a tool to get them a little under $3K.
Scooter looks very nice, and I agree with WEB-Tech that the oil is probably not from that scooter, but I would still ask them what vehicle they park there though because of the oil spots.

It's worth whatever you feel it is. "Gotta have" bikes we sometimes pay a bit too much for.
I realize I got a great deal when I paid $2700 OTD from a dealer for a 2008 GTS with barely 2K miles two years ago.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Look at the tires like previously said and if they're older or look worn, use that as a tool to get them a little under $3K.
Scooter looks very nice, and I agree with WEB-Tech that the oil is probably not from that scooter, but I would still ask them what vehicle they park there though because of the oil spots.

Sounds about right on all counts. If you love that colour and it checks out I say go for it. Piaggio is actually really smart how they manage colours in the Vespa line. Some may repeat but some only come up once in a while and can add to the value. I imagine that may be the 2017 GTV down the line as well.

It's worth whatever you feel it is. "Gotta have" bikes we sometimes pay a bit too much for.
I realize I got a great deal when I paid $2700 OTD from a dealer for a 2008 GTS with barely 2K miles two years ago.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:

Sounds about right on all counts. If you love that colour and it checks out I say go for it. Piaggio is actually really smart how they manage colours in the Vespa line. Some may repeat but some only come up once in a while and can add to the value. I imagine that may be the 2017 GTV down the line as well.

OP
@earthly_amy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200L Daring Plum

Enthusiast
@earthly_amy avatar
GT200L Daring Plum
UTC quote
So I asked the seller all the pertinent questions and I await some answers.
More importantly, I asked him why is he selling it?

Hell, if it was mine, I'd NEVER sell it...
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Earthly Amy wrote:
Don't let a couple of hundred dollars get in between you and the scooter. If you want it that badly, get it.
THIS!!!

I'd consider it "a bit" high but not even 7K of mileage. Top case. If it had regular maintenance. The belts, tires/rubber bits and all might be of concern depending on how it was stored.

In the end, see if they'll lower to price to $3000 and I'd jump on it. You've WANTED this scooter for nearly a decade. If it wasn't maintained on schedule. You could use that as a negotiation tool with the seller to say that you'll have to pump some money into it.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
znomit wrote:
Earthly Amy wrote:
THIS!!!

I'd consider it "a bit" high but not even 7K of mileage. Top case. If it had regular maintenance. The belts, tires/rubber bits and all might be of concern depending on how it was stored.

In the end, see if they'll lower to price to $3000 and I'd jump on it. You've WANTED this scooter for nearly a decade. If it wasn't maintained on schedule. You could use that as a negotiation tool with the seller to say that you'll have to pump some money into it.
Yep, life's too short and it's doubtful another one of these will come along for you. Look in to the maintenance and maybe you can use it for leverage as stated. The fact that it has never been dropped however is a big plus. It seems almost all the older Vespas I see especially those without crash bars have scrapes on the cowling. This one does look to be in great condition.
UTC

2018 Vespa GTS 300 Touring

2018 Vespa GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
GT200 price
I bought this 2007 GT 200 with about 2,400 miles on it a few months ago for $1,200. I rode it home, but it needed some TLC. I had to clean the carb, bleed the brakes, remove evap stuff, paint the exhaust, fluids, etc. It came with a brown key, but it would not program the blue keys I bought, so I replaced the CDI with a CDI from Scooterpartsco that does not have an immobilizer. It had the factory tall windshield, which i replaced with a Falco medium for the Georgia hot summer. It is a fun and capable scooter, you will love it, whether you buy the one you are looking at or hold off for another one.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@earthly_amy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200L Daring Plum

Enthusiast
@earthly_amy avatar
GT200L Daring Plum
UTC quote
Seller wants a bigger bike! No surprise there.

Age of the tires? Unknown. "still appear and function great." I guess he didn't do much riding in the rain.

"checked fluids a month ago, added DOT 4, oem antifreeze"
"Garaged always, no leaks."

Guess I'l have to go and check it out for myself!
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
i wouldn't consider that to be obscenely over priced. it's low miles, it's got a top case and it's super clean.

more importantly, it's the color you want. how often does that come around?

if i was in your shoes, i'd show up with three cash and see what's what.

expect to do a trans service and tires fairly soon though. so, add that to your budget.

-g
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
Well, all business is local. But local to me - I just bought a 2007 gts for much closer to $2k than $3k. Your experience may vary!
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
That looks like a scuff on the top of the right rear fender.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
Hi,

There is a date code on the tires so the age can be determined. I would bet that they are original. Probably the belt and rollers should be replaced as well as coolant, oil, oil filter, brake fluid, hub oil.

Prior to looking, it may be worth while to throw out $2k to the seller and gauge the reaction.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
Well, all business is local. But local to me - I just bought a 2007 gts for much closer to $2k than $3k. Your experience may vary!
well, yeah.... if i was in driving distance of DC that GTS in the classifieds would be in my garage already!

to me i think the biggest deal is on the color. buyer wants that color. and how often does one of those come up? rare color on a rare bike.

would i shell out that kinda dough for a bike like that? nah. but if it was the bike i'd been lusting after and exactly the right color and lo miles and clean... sure why not?

i mean, show me a 66 charger with a hemi in turbine bronze metallic and i'll cash my 401K right now....

-g
@breitie avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter

Hooked
@breitie avatar
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Sure does. Looks like it has been in a bingle and needs a heavy duty paint touch-up.
My burgundy coloured MP3 had a scratch the size of a dollar coin and the touch-up guy wanted $500 to repair that. Why? Because the entire panel/casing has to be colour matched and resprayed.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Breitie wrote:
NightWing wrote:
Sure does. Looks like it has been in a bingle and needs a heavy duty paint touch-up.
My burgundy coloured MP3 had a scratch the size of a dollar coin and the touch-up guy wanted $500 to repair that. Why? Because the entire panel/casing has to be colour matched and resprayed.
I'll bet it's just the reflections playing with your mind.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I think you are right. A closer look at the above photo shows the person who took the picture appears to be reflected in the cowl. Can only determine so much from a photo anyway. Time for the OP to go look at the scooter.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
I think you are right. A closer look at the above photo shows the person who took the picture appears to be reflected in the cowl. Can only determine so much from a photo anyway. Time for the OP to go look at the scooter.
That would be the way to go. These scoots are expensive to repaint and a decent sized scuff/scratch gives you a lot of wiggle room when it comes to price negotiation. It's also why crash bars are a good addition. I add crash/drop protection to all my bikes. Hell I added it to the Ural and that thing is not going to drop. But car door dings/bad drivers in parking lots and accidentally backing up in to things etc happens. I'd rather pay a little up front and potentially save a lot down the road.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0443s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0131s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]