Is this a fuel pump issue ?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS250
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 am quote
Gents/Ladies,

I was ridding down a highway on my 06 250 GTS doing about 60mph and suddenly I lost speed. My throttle was still wide open but the bike started to slow down similar to that of letting off the gas. The engine didn't die. I closed the throttle and then tried to open it again and it came back but only for a second and in surges. It would surge and then cut out, surge again and then cut out. Did that for what seems like an eternity but I'm sure it was only 1-2 mins.

I slowed down to about 45mph and i wasn't able to reproduce the symptoms again (I got off the highway). I had about half a tank of 94 octane chevron gas so maybe the fuel pump was getting overheated from the highway riding ? I'm not sure what else it could be. Never had this problem before.
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:14 pm quote
Welcome to the forum.

250s did have a fuel pump recall for some years. What year is yours? You should check with your dealer if yours was affected by the recall and if it was replaced. It's a free fix if necessary but your symptoms are not typical of the problem. It was usually problems starting after a brief stop. Having said that what you describe could be the sign of a weak pump, possibly unrelated to the recall. Did the bike restart and, if so does it seem to be running OK now?
Ossessionato
GTS 250ie
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:26 pm quote
Generally a pump works or doesn't.

When you release the gas cap do you hear a "whoosh"? You may have a clogged Evap system. Clear or remove.

You may have a bad spark plug cable, or spark cable may not be properly seated on plug.

You may have a dirty injector.

You may have a loose or dirty ground somewhere.

Good luck.
GTS250
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:41 pm quote
Thanks for the advice guys. Ill take a look at the EVAP system.

Im scared of riding the bike on the highway now, so i want to get this solved asap.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:30 pm quote
badhobz wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Ill take a look at the EVAP system.
If a malfunction in the EVAP system is preventing tank venting - you will not only be likely to hear a "whoosh" when opening the fuel cap, but that will also immediate solve the problem (at least, for a while).
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:33 pm quote
Also, check the coil to spark plug cable. This was a problem on my 2009. Bike ran fine, then wouldn't start. Fuel pump started as expected. Once replaced, it has run for ~ 8 years without a prob

Best
Miguel
GTS250
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:54 pm quote
guys, it happened again.

I had the bike in storage for the last few months but today i reinsured it and took it out for a ride.

First first minutes were fine, then when the bike was warmed up there was these issues

- when the throttle is open, it would occasionally bog down, and then surge back up, and then bog down again. It feels like if i were to open the throttle max, and then no throttle, and then back to to fully open. It happens intermittently so im not sure if its the EVAP or not.

- When slowing down for a stop, it would occasionally drop RPM so low that the bike stalls out. Then when you restart it, the idle actually seems a bit high (around the 3k rpm mark) and you feel the bike wanting to surge ahead a bit.

Any clue what this could be?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:37 pm quote
sounds like the gas turned to crap on you.

did you stabilize it before storing?

I would drain out all the gas , put some fresh in and add just a touch of startron fuel treatment
Hooked
GTS 250
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:40 pm quote
I will second the spark plug wire. My 2007 250 died one night due to a loose spark plug boot to wire connection.

Another thing to look at is the run-stop switch... they are known to be "touchy". Try killing the ignition (with the run-stop switch) while riding*, and it will give you a good feeling of what an electrical failure would feel like. If it feels similar to the motor's issue, you can bet that the problem is electrical (or fuel related if it feels different).

If you've never done this before, please make sure you are alone on the road, and only going 20-25mph*. You should be able to restart the bike just by flipping the switch back on (essentially push starting it with the momentum) as long as the clutch is still engaged.

*disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damages that may occur to you, your bike, other people, or other people's property.
GTS250
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 pm quote
Thanks for all the kind advice gents, it looks like it was the spark plug (or maybe the spark plug connector was loose), either way i replaced the sparkplug with a new NGK R

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ngk-year-round-spark-plug-1-pk-0183620p.0183975.html

*5.49 cents and it totally fixed it! the old one wasnt even that bad, so im thinking maybe its the connector?

Addicted
GTS250, P200E
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:43 am quote
I have had several bad spark plugs over the years. The common factor is that they were all resistor plugs, so I replaced them with non-resistor equivalents. Unfortunately, you cannot do that with modern engines as the interference would affect the computer.

Let's hope that your new plug works when it gets hot.

Cheers and good luck,
Bob
GTS250
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 am quote
I hope so Bob! i went for a ride last night after i installed it and it seems to perform just fine, no stalling, no weird idling, no cutting in and out. More testing will be required, but so far so good.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm quote
Fuel pump.
My 2006 GTS did the same thing and a new fuel pump fixed it.
GTS250
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 pm quote
Hopefully its not the fuel pump, but if it is, then it's going to be costly.

I went for a ride today and it surged twice and it cut out once at a stop light. Now the cutting out happened because i was trying to thumb in the shutoff switch to see if its that (it might be) but when i tried to reproduce it by thumbing the switch again, it didnt seem to do anything.

1) if its the kill switch, how do i go about fixing it?

2) i removed all the extra electrical stuff on the bike today. The previous owner had a rats nest of wires going everywhere and this "power commander" thingy along with an accessory outlet.

3) i still havent gotten around to disconnecting the evap hose, would that be this one?

Im going to work on the EVAP hose tomorrow and see if that'll help. If nothing else works, then i guess ill have to replace that fuel pump. They said its not under recall even though there was a recall on these pumps, but the dealership said not this particular VIN.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 pm quote
The story has changed now...
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:07 pm quote
badhobz wrote:

I went for a ride today and it surged twice and it cut out once at a stop light. Now the cutting out happened because i was trying to thumb in the shutoff switch to see if its that (it might be) but when i tried to reproduce it by thumbing the switch again, it didnt seem to do anything.

2) i removed all the extra electrical stuff on the bike today. The previous owner had a rats nest of wires going everywhere and this "power commander" thingy along with an accessory outlet.

3) i still havent gotten around to disconnecting the evap hose, would that be this one?

Im going to work on the EVAP hose tomorrow and see if that'll help. If nothing else works, then i guess ill have to replace that fuel pump. They said its not under recall even though there was a recall on these pumps, but the dealership said not this particular VIN.
So, did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Cheers.
Hooked
Vespa Dealer
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:22 am quote
badhobz wrote:

Fuel pump recalls affected 2009-2011 250/300 models. Your 2006 Has the czechoslovakia fuel pump which is bullet proof.

Have you replaced any old gas and added a water remover to the fuel to rule out bad gas.

You have disconnected all EFI related add-ons

You can disconnect the Evap hose at the intake (make sure you plug up the intake end)

When stalling does it restart immediately or cranks a while before starting?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:15 pm quote
ApsevTorontoWest wrote:
Fuel pump recalls affected 2009-2011 250/300 models. Your 2006 Has the czechoslovakia fuel pump which is bullet proof.
It was a bad design, not bad manufacturing, and plenty of the Czech pumps have failed too. We're still selling about sixty fuel pumps a year that only fit the 250 with the double hoses, including some that have been through the recall.
The symptoms also sound like what happens when an ignition coil goes bad, or the wire starts to get loose at the coil, so you might want to rule that out before replacing the fuel pump.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/gts-250/gts-250-air-and-fuel/fuel-pump-for-vespa-250-621581
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1471s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0284s) ][ Debug on ]