Halogen headlight upgrade wiring issue/question
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm quote
Hey guys can somebody give me a hand wiring up a halogen headlight On my Stella?

Originally had a incandescent.
Wiring as follows.
2 purple
1 brown
Ground

I have 1 of the purple wires connected to purple
Brown to brown
Ground

Seems simple enough.

The issue is I no longer have high low indicators on the speedo.
Is this the cost of the halogen upgrade?

What do I do with this extra purple wire? Are they supposed to be connected maybe?

Thanks for your help!
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:48 am quote
Here is the original wiring diagram.

2019-06-14 09_47_31-Window.png

Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 am quote
You should have full functionality. I did this with mine. I forget the exact wiring but what I did was compare the original wiring to the new wiring and I think there was one color that was different so I just stuck that to the remaining connector left after all other wires were connected correctly.

I will take my headset off today and let you know what my wiring is.
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
You should have full functionality. I did this with mine. I forget the exact wiring but what I did was compare the original wiring to the new wiring and I think there was one color that was different so I just stuck that to the remaining connector left after all other wires were connected correctly.

I will take my headset off today and let you know what my wiring is.
That would be great. I think I'm really losing it here! I have been searching for hours with no real answers.

This shouldn't be this complicated but I think its something to do with the extra purple wire (currently not connected) that completes the circuit to the indicator bulbs in the speedo im afraid to connect the 2 purple wires together as I dont want to fry anything.
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:37 am quote
I actually had photos from when I did it last year.

I think what I did was i compared the position of the wires on the original unit, to the schematic. I made a note on which violet wire was connected to which prong on the original and then lined them up to how they connect to the new connection provided, assuming that the physical position of the connections would line up the same to how the original was wired.

if you look at the schematic, there are two violets, one to high beam, one to low beam. So I believe if you connect them wrong, it will just reverse your switch. In which case you can swap them.

But here are my photos of how I connected them.

EDIT: It may actually be one violet for headlight, one violet for daytime position light. I think the brown and black are different grounds that determine high or low beam.

IMG_20180514_212456.jpg
original tungsten headlight wiring

IMG_20180519_185940.jpg
new wiring.

Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 am quote
Here is how mine is currently setup. You connected the other purple to the pilot light it looks like and you have your indicators working on your speedo?

unnamed.jpg

Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 am quote
Yes everything works as it should on mine.

I looked at the schematic again, I think there is 1 ground for everything in there, black, everything else is a positive power. a brown and a violet powering high/low beam, and a violet powering position light.

EDIT: If you compare your functional results to the schematic, it looks like you plugged the position light's violet light into the headlight, and did not plug the headlights violet wire into anything. The schematic has the low beam violet light also powering the speedo indicators.

Last edited by swiss1939 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:50 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:

I looked at the schematic again, I think there is 1 ground for everything in there, black, everything else is a positive power. a brown and a violet powering high/low beam, and a violet powering position light.
Ok I will set it up exactly as you have it and see what happens. Thanks for the assistance!
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:53 am quote
Deathshead wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:

Ok I will set it up exactly as you have it and see what happens. Thanks for the assistance!
If it works, just confirm that your indicator switch works for the correct beam angle and indicator, and also check your position light when key on bike off.
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:10 am quote
OK, so I tried it just like you have it setup and tried the each purple wire 2 different ways here is what i get.

#1. Pilot light comes on with the key.
start up bike, headlight comes on but no highbeam on the switch, it just turns off.

#2. swap the purples around.
lowbeam comes on with key which never did with the original headlight.
hi-low works normally but no indicator lights on the speedo.

I will keep messing around with it but this is pretty weird, not sure what changed to make the headlight start coming on with the key when it never did before.
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 am quote
Not sure. Sounds like you have different wiring or a wiring issue going on. Maybe one of the other connectors is reversed, not the purple from #1 wiring. Check the wiring from your switch.

Beyond that, I'll defer to someone with more electrical knowledge. I'm not great with electrical or schematics. Just know that if I replace stuff, everything should go back same connections, which is what I did on mine!
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Not sure. Sounds like you have different wiring or a wiring issue going on. Maybe one of the other connectors is reversed, not the purple from #1 wiring. Check the wiring from your switch.

Beyond that, I'll defer to someone with more electrical knowledge. I'm not great with electrical or schematics. Just know that if I replace stuff, everything should go back same connections, which is what I did on mine!
Yup I hear ya same here! Thanks Pal!
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am quote
You definitely need to wire your purple wires up the way you did in #1. Cause the pilot light needs to be the only thing on with key on bike off.

Are you sure the other wires are not flipped besides the purple and what purple is plugged into in #1?

Also check your fuse for the headlight which is under the horncast in an opaque white clip container screwed into the frame probably below the wire connector box. It should have an orange wire on one side and a purple wire on the other side.
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am quote
Hopefully chandlerman will chime in as he is the user I know of that posts the most regarding electrical with stellas. He has done a lot of posts regarding converting stellas to dc only systems with dc stators. He's probably your best bet for knowledgeable electrical advice with a stella.
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:48 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Hopefully chandlerman will chime in as he is the user I know of that posts the most regarding electrical with stellas. He has done a lot of posts regarding converting stellas to dc only systems with dc stators. He's probably your best bet for knowledgeable electrical advice with a stella.
Thanks again for the help! I was thinking about throwing an LED in this headlight once i get the wiring figured out. I was going to convert to DC as well until I found this. which seems like much less of a headache.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/cyclops-adventure-sports-led-light-module-rectifier-p

I really wish someone had an Archive somewhere of Stellaspeed.com that was such a great resource of info.
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am quote
the problem that you will learn messing around with the wiring under headset is.. something like that rectifier will not fit. There is no room for it, unless you were to install it near battery and make a really long wire harness to connect from headlight.. to long extension wire down into the rectifier way at the back, then another long wire back to the headset to connect to the wiring harness. That seems not feasible. Better option is to convert to dc completely.
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
the problem that you will learn messing around with the wiring under headset is.. something like that rectifier will not fit. There is no room for it, unless you were to install it near battery and make a really long wire harness to connect from headlight.. to long extension wire down into the rectifier way at the back, then another long wire back to the headset to connect to the wiring harness. That seems not feasible. Better option is to convert to dc completely.
I thought the same thing, but I found another guy running a stella with the same unit. I will have to find the post again. It was a guy with a green one with a sidecar. He actually put one on the sidecar too. Apparently he was able to sneak the rectifier under and behind the headlight. But ya it is tight in there!
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am quote
ahh, here it is. He does seem to be using a different headlight tho.

LED Headlight & Cozy Sidecar Headlight Stella 2T

If it doesn't work then its time to pull the flywheel, lol
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:38 am quote
cool. I may try that, although I was already planning on converting my stella to dc system this winter.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:34 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Hah!

I'm not sure if "Master Stella Electrician" is a badge of honor or shame, but I'll take it either way.

Here's a trivialized version of the Stella's headlight wiring, at least as it exists on my '05 Stella.

To install a halogen lamp requiring a 12V AC->DC rectifier, you could most easily shim it in back by the battery along with a fuse, rather than trying to jam it into the headset or under the horncast, where the orange wire is inside a bundle.

Everything then returns to a common ground an you should only need to worry about getting the rectifier in place and the new headlight wired up.

Does that help?

Stella headlight.png

Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 pm quote
Figured it out! I had already fixed the brown wire at the switch as it was being pinched but also the purple was broken too but undetectable until I stripped it back.

Every time you go to first year it slams into the wires. Guess I need how to next figure out how to adjust my cables.

A35E929A-2F64-4C66-8F01-407441641815.png

Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:56 pm quote
Deathshead wrote:
Figured it out! I had already fixed the brown wire at the switch as it was being pinched but also the purple was broken too but undetectable until I stripped it back.

Every time you go to first year it slams into the wires. Guess I need how to next figure out how to adjust my cables.
If I'm not mistaken, those wires should be going through the tube from inside and out the hole like the clutch and other electrical cables currently do. It shouldn't be on the outside interfering with the shifting at all. I need to look at mine again cause I haven't really messed with the shifter side, but I am almost positive the turn signals on the right side go through the handlebar tube and out the hole in the tube.

So maybe you put the cable back on the outside accidentally when you fixed the switch wire previously, or the previous owner had it fed through wrong and you just put it back the way you found it.
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:36 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Deathshead wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, those wires should be going through the tube from inside and out the hole like the clutch and other electrical cables currently do. It shouldn't be on the outside interfering with the shifting at all. I need to look at mine again cause I haven't really messed with the shifter side, but I am almost positive the turn signals on the right side go through the handlebar tube and out the hole in the tube.

So maybe you put the cable back on the outside accidentally when you fixed the switch wire previously, or the previous owner had it fed through wrong and you just put it back the way you found it.
I wish that was the case!

C5C20A79-1825-493D-900F-CF3EF746792B.jpeg

Ossessionato
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm quote
Even if that's how the factory wired it, that don't make it right.

That wire should exit through a hole in the shifter tube. I'll try to share some pictures tomorrow.
Addicted
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:19 pm quote
Looks like that indentation to the left of the screw hole is where they forgot to drill a hole to feed the wire through. Maybe that's not the original shifter, and it wasn't prepped right before install. Seems strange the factory would do it wrong for some but not others. This would also explain why there is a hole on the right side wall.. whoever put that on couldn't figure out how to get the wire out and cut a hole on the side wall to feed the cable out.

I'm gonna take my switch off tomorrow and double check. Almost positive mine goes through the shifter tube as it should.

EDIT: maybe im wrong about the holes in the shifter.

https://sip-scootershop.com/en/products/gear+tube+lml+for+lml+star+125_37044680

you can see there is a hole on the right side wall.
Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:27 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Looks like that indentation to the left of the screw hole is where they forgot to drill a hole to feed the wire through. Maybe that's not the original shifter, and it wasn't prepped right before install. Seems strange the factory would do it wrong for some but not others. This would also explain why there is a hole on the right side wall.. whoever put that on couldn't figure out how to get the wire out and cut a hole on the side wall to feed the cable out.

I'm gonna take my switch off tomorrow and double check. Almost positive mine goes through the shifter tube as it should.

EDIT: maybe im wrong about the holes in the shifter.

https://sip-scootershop.com/en/products/gear+tube+lml+for+lml+star+125_37044680

you can see there is a hole on the right side wall.
Yeah, it's really stupid. Everytime you shift down into first you are jamming down on the wiring it's total insanity on top of that since I had to splice into the wiring and extend it about an inch of so this plastic thing sits behind the hi-low switch I guess they put it there to prevent shorts. But since I had just a hair more wire there it was in the way of the switch going back in all the way to I threw some tape on the back of the switch and left it out to make room. But this shows that they never intended to route thru the hole. My Stella is a 2003. And it seems to be a little different than others.

BAAD5EBA-692D-4E17-BA3A-BD572CCFD780.jpeg

Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:30 pm quote
Also when I first ran into the high beam shutting off issue. I researched the issue and it all led to the garbage Indian switch and the solder joint breaking on a switch like this. But the switch on this bike is crazy. It's like some crazy heavy duty all brass switch with screw on terminals...not like this..

A5E17017-BFAA-46DE-BEB1-BF73A0C09F56.jpeg

Hooked
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:34 pm quote
Ahh here we go, I knew I had a pic of my switch...
Thing is basically indestructible.

ECF65334-C790-4DC0-BDFF-B9FCBAD3559B.jpeg

Ossessionato
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:01 am quote
I had a quick look and mine's also run through that opening, not out the tube.

IMG_20190615_094657.jpg

Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:29 am quote
Never seen a P with running wires through the tube...
Addicted
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 am quote
SaFiS wrote:
Never seen a P with running wires through the tube...
The Stella right side switch on mine goes through tube
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
The Stella right side switch on mine goes through tube
Thatís LML though...
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1607s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0320s) ][ Debug on ]