Nine weeks honeymoon on a Vespa GTS 300 in Europe
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Vespa GTS 300
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 pm quote
Hi all,

After starting a few threads about different questions - and mostly getting great replies I thought it is time to give back. And yes, it was my, now, wife idea to do a motorcycle trip for our nine weeks honeymoon.

So quick background - we wanted to go for a longer honeymoon and couldn’t really think of any better way to do it than on a motorcycle. I have for the past five years gone on MC trips with friends a few weeks every summer (now covered from Ukraine and Black Sea in east to Pyrenees and Portugal in west) - all on ”real motorcycles”.

We got married the 1st of June and left the day after. We did the first stop in Gothenburg and I realized that we cannot bring the camping gear due to too much weight on the Vespa. We also slimmed the rest of the stuff. Left it at my dads place. Continued and now the Vespa felt like it usually does when all the heavy stuff in a bag between my legs and only light stuff in the top box. We went down to Malmö and hanged out with a good friend (who just managed to get home after the wedding). For two more days we rode down to Hamburg (Germany) where we catched ”Autozug” (car train) and went overnight down to Lörrach (close to Basel in Switzerland but on the Germany ide). Very nice to not have to ride 850 km on autobahn. We took it easy thru the alps and spent some time in northern Italy (around Lake Como) and then went down to Livorno and the ferry to Corsica - where we are now. So far 1.5/9 week of the trip.

The only thing that is booked is autozug from Vienna (Austria) to Hamburg in the end of July. We are however going to east europe - and maybe Greece and maybe Istanbul.

So how is the Vespa doing? Very well and better than expected. The suspensions is not the same as my previous BMW R1200R (even had ESA) but the seat is comfortable for both of us. We are not doing crazy miles and our longest in one day is just over 300 km. We are trying to keep it to max 150-200 km since we are not in a hurry.

I have done some mods to it:
- USB charging - taking power from the parking light (and taking out the charging cable for my iPhone in the hole for mounting a screen)
- Extenders for passanger foot pegs
- Rear rack and top box (29 liters, home made mount)

Sorry for messy information and probably a lot of horrible spelling/gramma mistakes. However, if you have any questions regarding going for a longer trip on a scooter (with or without passanger) or in general touring in Europe - hit me!

Also, I am putting up some photos/videos on instagram - you can find them at instagram.com/hasselgren

Take care!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:06 pm quote
Sounds awesome. Glad you got the packing sorted!

Time to check out some pictures.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm quote
Got a follower! Looking forward to many photos.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:07 pm quote
Sounds great!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

I'm a very similar biker myself in that I nowadays prefer short(ish) rides per day and to have plenty of time to look around!
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:23 am quote
Re: Nine weeks honeymoon on a Vespa GTS 300 in Europe
Hasselgren wrote:
Also, I am putting up some photos/videos on instagram - you can find them at instagram.com/hasselgren

Take care!
Sounds like an awesome start to the honeymoon.
Photos posted on MV would be good as I don't do instagram. (I'm old)
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 am quote
Following with great interest. Sounds like an amazing trip too! 👀
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 am quote
Congrats on getting hitched and looking forward to yer pics!
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am quote
Sounds awesome and congrats on getting married!! If you eventually take the trip to Istanbul, you'll probably ride the highway from Igoumenitsa to Thessaloniki. My town (Veria) is on your way. We are a small group of vespa enthusiasts and we'll be glad to meet you guys...

Message us through our FB page or my Instagram account...

https://www.facebook.com/vespaclubveria/

https://www.instagram.com/saf1s/

Best regards!

Chris
Vespa GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 pm quote
SaFiS wrote:
Sounds awesome and congrats on getting married!! If you eventually take the trip to Istanbul, you'll probably ride the highway from Igoumenitsa to Thessaloniki. My town (Veria) is on your way. We are a small group of vespa enthusiasts and we'll be glad to meet you guys...

Message us through our FB page or my Instagram account...

https://www.facebook.com/vespaclubveria/

https://www.instagram.com/saf1s/

Best regards!

Chris
Damn it! I haven’t checked this thread and missed your post. Thank you so much for the invitation tho!
Vespa GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 pm quote
Since my last post we have been to Toscany, South Albania, North Greece and now on an island, Thasos, also in Greece.

In Thessaloniki (Greece) we did some maintance (oil change, new rear tire) and also new suspension - front and rear. The brand is Carbone - not Malossi level but should be much better than stock. So how does it work? It’s stiffer and more stable. The front end doesn’t flex the same when cornering (which makes me very happy). It feels like a ”bigger bike” and I can push it much harder. My wife is also said it feels more stable. The downside is that it’s sometimes too hard for and also sometimes it’s a bit too hard for the frame, so you can feel how the frame is ”fighting” the stiffer suspension - no drama, men it’s not a Fireblade frame we are dealing with here. To summerise it: I am very happy with the stability both for comfort and safety when cornering and breaking. With this upgrade I am also aware that it will be times when I will be a bit tired of the hard suspension and want something more plush.

Other than that, the GTS has not missed a beat yet. It handles two up - up steep mountain passes without complaining and also very easy to handle in general, as a medium size scooter is. The only times it’s limiting us is on the highway. We usually do like 110 kph - sure, I can push it to 120 kph (indicated) but then it’s full throttle. We usually don’t go on the highway anyway since it’s boring and you don’t really experience the country.

Oh, we did some ”off-road”. Kind of at least. Google Maps lead us in on a 15 km long unpaved road in the mountains with big water ”obstacles” and steep up and down. However, the GTS did really well since it’s so easy to manage and lightweight. It boosts your confident.

So to summery it so far: all good. The GTS does a great job.

The next target, after spending a couple of days on Thasos, is Istanbul.
Vespa GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm quote
Re: Nine weeks honeymoon on a Vespa GTS 300 in Europe
Sledge wrote:
Hasselgren wrote:

Take care!
Sounds like an awesome start to the honeymoon.
Photos posted on MV would be good as I don't do instagram. (I'm old)
No need to have an Instagram account - my account is public so just go to instagram.com/hasselgren without signing in.
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 pm quote
Hasselgren wrote:
Damn it! I haven’t checked this thread and missed your post. Thank you so much for the invitation tho!
Our invitation is open in case you pass from here on your way back...
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.1565s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0343s) ][ Debug on ]