OP
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus

Ossessionato
UTC quote
TAT - Trans America Trail - ever since I'd heard about this I keep day dreaming about what bike to use, perfect camping gear etc. Then all the complications come to mind of getting to the States again, buying a bike, buying all the gear, then the pain selling everything before coming home. I just couldn't picture myself ever doing it. Now imagine the smile when I discovered the TET.

TET - Trans Europe Trail - it appears there's a similar route been planned across each country in Europe and they all connect (loosely). I'm now idly dreaming of getting a VanVan and heading off across Europe. I already have my hammock tent and a sleeping bag so I'm half way there. I just need to come up with a good excuse for not being able to do it. Here's a bit of the Spanish part:

(link)

(Apologies to those thinking this was a road rage thread or about french head tattoos)
⚠️ Last edited by robinm on UTC; edited 1 time
@big_daddy_snakeoiler avatar
UTC

Hooked
300 GTS, Stella 4T

Hooked
@big_daddy_snakeoiler avatar
300 GTS, Stella 4T
UTC quote
Is this scooterable? Maybe on a Hooligan or Zuma?
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Please also post the Youtube url for us who can't watch through MV site...
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Big Daddy SnakeOiler wrote:
Is this scooterable? Maybe on a Hooligan or Zuma?
I suppose maybe if you're on a Honda X-ADV or perhaps a Honda Ruckas 125 but probably only if you don't like your scooter much.
Updated thread to show SSR (as it's 2 wheels).
Fudmucker wrote:
Please also post the Youtube url for us who can't watch through MV site...
Sorry, updated
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I've followed some TET adventures at the ADVrider site. Also given some advice to folks coming to the Finnish part of TET.

The latter part is actually a bit funny - the Finnish TET has quite a lot of gravel and most of it goes through routes I've never ridden myself. Don't know about other countries, but at least our part is definitely more on VanVan territory than a scoot.

The only challenge with the VanVan may be the smallish gas tank...but if I remember correctly, there are some larger aftermarket tanks available?
And some "highway pegs" would definitely come handy for resting knees.

Otherwise sounds like a goog plan for an adventure!
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
The only challenge with the VanVan may be the smallish gas tank...but if I remember correctly, there are some larger aftermarket tanks available?
I'd actually been looking at the price of a used VanVan 200 - I couldn't believe the prices they go for here! I even looked at the TW200 which is similar but they weren't imported here. I think both these bikes would be brilliant on the trails but both might be a bit of a pain getting there. Also carrying gear might be difficult on such small bikes. 125cc's are cheaper but I think 200cc is about as small as I could go on a long distance tour. I'm not even sure I'd fit on the VanVan as I'm approx 6'3" - a couple of thousand miles with camping gear might be a tight fit and I'm thinking of doing the trip for pleasure. I'm currently idly thinking about getting a 2nd hand Enfield Himalayan which would probably do the trip well but there aren't many showing up on the second hand market. I'd also imagine my wife will kill me if I try squeezing in another bike into the garage
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
robinm wrote:
RRider wrote:
I'd actually been looking at the price of a used VanVan 200 - I couldn't believe the prices they go for here! I even looked at the TW200 which is similar but they weren't imported here. I think both these bikes would be brilliant on the trails but both might be a bit of a pain getting there. Also carrying gear might be difficult on such small bikes. 125cc's are cheaper but I think 200cc is about as small as I could go on a long distance tour. I'm not even sure I'd fit on the VanVan as I'm approx 6'3" - a couple of thousand miles with camping gear might be a tight fit and I'm thinking of doing the trip for pleasure. I'm currently idly thinking about getting a 2nd hand Enfield Himalayan which would probably do the trip well but there aren't many showing up on the second hand market. I'd also imagine my wife will kill me if I try squeezing in another bike into the garage
I'm quite a bit shorter than you are, around 5'9, and even for me the knee angle was a bit tight. Not impossible, but made me want to strech my legs once and while.

The 200cc was in a way less powerful than the hp/kg figure would make you think. At low speeds it did feel more powerful than a 125cc, but at the high end.. well, not that much, to be honest.

What about an older single cylinder BMW e.g. 650 GS....? not that I'm trying to get you killed by your wife or anything...
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I might have to abandon the VanVan then and the TW200 for that matter. The hassle with larger bikers is that they can become a bit of a handful in the off road bits which 90% of these trails are. I have no experience at all riding off road - I have crashed through numerous hedges but I don't think that counts. The F650GS is a bike I hadn't thought of but looking up prices in the UK shows that 15 year old bikes cost almost the same as a new Enfield Himalayan!

At the moment though I'm just idly dreaming but it would be nice to do a section or two each year. I don't think it would be an expensive thing either as I quite enjoy camping.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0612s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0293s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]