UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
Hello all,

I've recently acquired a 50 special with almost all the parts attached and want to get it on the road asap. My first task was to get the electrical back to 100%. I've attached the wiring diagram I've been going off of but it doesn't seem to match 100% with what I'm seeing on the scoot.
Could anyone tell me if this key switch is native or replaced? It has a few extra wire as compared to the wiring diagram but everything seems to be attached as if it belongs. Wrong diagram? I'm trying to get a replacement harness as this one has extensive wire nicks and corrosion and would take just as long to repair as it would to just replace...
I've emailed scooter mercato as they have the harness for $40 but I don't wanna get something that wont have all the wires and I'm wondering if these were the same for a few years or why they're so different. My 74 primavera has turn signals because they were required by law. Does this not qualify because of it's size? It's an 80 without turn signals... which is totally fine by me because it's easier to wire but just confuses me as well
pdf
522kb
key switch and sticker
key switch and sticker
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimvonbaden avatar
UTC

Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)

Hooked
@jimvonbaden avatar
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
UTC quote
Can't say on your specific bike, but it looks the same as my P125X switch.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
I've finally gotten the wiring harness out of the 50 special. I was looking at this wiring diagram because mine is different... I'm guessing someone else just threw this together as the it's mostly just wire colors not matching.

I can see that the HL runs on AC as it's fed directly from it's own coil. My big question is does that make everything else DC? The horn for sure obviously but then the nuetral light, tail light? I would like to drop the battery at some point. I saw robot's video of just putting 2 6vREGs next to each other where the battery goes and that converts the whole bike to AC. Do I need to change the ignition system at all? I get I'm going to have to buy new horn and lights.

My understanding is that they are DC and therefore run off the battery getting charged by the AC. So it is possible to just eliminate the rectifier and keep the current AC? I would just need a regulator for power surges then or just eliminate those parts and convert the bulbs and horn?

https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/V5B3T.pdf
pdf
522kb
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
okay, so my only question for this harness is why is there 4 wires for the ignition? Also it seems like an AC/DC system. I can't remember encountering anything like this before, how does it work? It's CDI or something else?
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
I made an easier to read wiring diagram. Makes it easier to see what wires are bundled together and places items closer to where they actually are. Also had to change some wire colors for the new harness.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
Ban the Dead wrote:
okay, so my only question for this harness is why is there 4 wires for the ignition? Also it seems like an AC/DC system. I can't remember encountering anything like this before, how does it work? It's CDI or something else?
why is there 4 wires for the ignition? There's a wire for the key, on/off switch (this is redundant and govt required), stator and HT coil.

Also it seems like an AC/DC system. Yes it is

how does it work Stator powers Head light with unregulated AC power from stator. Was a govt requirement that the head light is always on when the motor is running. The stator charges the battery. The battery powers everything else.

The Robot solution you mentioned earlier is a better option.
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
rowdyc wrote:
Ban the Dead wrote:
why is there 4 wires for the ignition? There's a wire for the key, on/off switch (this is redundant and govt required), stator and HT coil.

Also it seems like an AC/DC system. Yes it is

how does it work Stator powers Head light with unregulated AC power from stator. Was a govt requirement that the head light is always on when the motor is running. The stator charges the battery. The battery powers everything else.

The Robot solution you mentioned earlier is a better option.
Thank you! ok that makes sense, either button or switch kills engine then. I remember learning that this system had to be grounded to kill the engine.
Ok yeah Idk if I'm keep this one so I will just keep 6V for now and convert to 100% AC. thank you thank you!
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
Does anyone know what flywheel puller a 50 special takes? Or should I just buy a universal one and jaw it off that way?
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
No puller needed. It's on points. You'll need a flywheel circlip and nut only. See links below if you don't have them. Screw in the flywheel nut all the way in. Put circlip in the groove closet to the nut and unscrew the nut. Flywheel should slide off as circlip moves and stop in the groove closet to the hole. You will need a flywheel holder to stop the flywheel from turning.

Flywheel nut
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Hardware/S-01545
Flywheel circlip
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Hardware/S-05981
Flywheel holder
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Factory-Tools/1910095

Good luck!
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
I'll give that a shot thanks!
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@ban_the_dead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Primavera 03 ET2

Enthusiast
@ban_the_dead avatar
74 Primavera 03 ET2
UTC quote
Hey does this take an 8 amp fuse like I'm seeing in stores or something smaller? It's kickstart only and no indicators
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
I've gotten away with 5 or 10s before. Only way I popped them was shorting out a hot wire.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0296s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0034s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]