Front swingarm
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 400cc
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am quote
Hi guys, been watching this forum for a while now and it helped me a lot in fixing the MP3 by myself, but now I have an issue I cannot find anywhere on this forum.

Hopefully someone has an idea of what is wrong with the front of my Piaggio.
Ever since iíve replaced the front wheels the steering is shaking as hell when I reach the 70 km/h. Iíve taken my wheels to 3 different dealers to balance them out but it seems that this was not the issue.
It seems now that the front wheel is moving vertically even after replacing all the bearings in the hub and suspension holder. Could it be the swingarm is loose or the connection to the front leg is damaged.
Iíve been looking for a new swingarm but it seems Piaggio only sells them as a complete front leg instead of loose component.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Arthur
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:34 pm quote
contact maksor on the forum, he is dam near an expert on MP3's and he is not far from you in the Netherlands.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm quote
Think he's near Bruges.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:46 pm quote
Re: Front swingarm
Arthur28 wrote:
Hi guys, been watching this forum for a while now and it helped me a lot in fixing the MP3 by myself, but now I have an issue I cannot find anywhere on this forum.

Hopefully someone has an idea of what is wrong with the front of my Piaggio.
Ever since iíve replaced the front wheels the steering is shaking as hell when I reach the 70 km/h. Iíve taken my wheels to 3 different dealers to balance them out but it seems that this was not the issue.
It seems now that the front wheel is moving vertically even after replacing all the bearings in the hub and suspension holder. Could it be the swingarm is loose or the connection to the front leg is damaged.
Iíve been looking for a new swingarm but it seems Piaggio only sells them as a complete front leg instead of loose component.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Arthur
You say ' ever since i've replaced the front wheels' Do you mean you have put later wheels on you bike? Because when i changed my original 2008 Fuoco 12" front wheels for the 13" later style wheels i found that the original wheel bolts ( socket head cap screws ) were slightly too long for the later style wheels ,only by a few mm , so when i tightend the wheel bolts they were tight but the wheels were not clamped up tight to the hub.There was only a very small amount of play and probably you would not notice it unless you held the wheel and checked it was tight on the hub. The play was easily sorted by running a 8mm threading tap down the hubs threaded holes so the bolts could go in further.
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 400cc
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:04 pm quote
Arthur[/quote]
You say ' ever since i've replaced the front wheels' Do you mean you have put later wheels on you bike? Because when i changed my original 2008 Fuoco 12" front wheels for the 13" later style wheels i found that the original wheel bolts ( socket head cap screws ) were slightly too long for the later style wheels ,only by a few mm , so when i tightend the wheel bolts they were tight but the wheels were not clamped up tight to the hub.There was only a very small amount of play and probably you would not notice it unless you held the wheel and checked it was tight on the hub. The play was easily sorted by running a 8mm threading tap down the hubs threaded holes so the bolts could go in further.[/quote].

Sorry, what I meant ďwas replaced the front tiresĒ. I did replaced the bolts a few months ago because they where worn out. But that never resulted in wobbly wheels. If I lift up the front and move the tires the hub is firmly attached to the susp. bracket, the movement seems to be in the swingarm. But is this one replaceable?
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:02 am quote
Ok not that then. So i would have thought any mechanic would be able to sort out whats wrong BUT as your in Holland and as 'old as dirt' says contact 'maksor' as he's the MP3 man and in your home country. I think he is in Olst.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am quote
you can only buy the front legs complete its " geklinkt " in dutch

bt how are your front shocks and elbow joints on the stearingrod
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 400cc
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 am quote
Checked yesterday and indeed the both bearings in the fork wonít move a bit wen trying to press them out. Both shocks are nominated to be replaced. To links are both new ( replaced yesterday). The only thing wobbly is now the fork. If this needs to be fixed by doing the complete front it will be a huge investment.!! Is there no other option to fix this?
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 am quote
Are you absolutely sure the bead has seated on both sides of both tires? If the bead isn't down all the way, it will bounce and jitter all over the road. Plus it's dangerous; the tire could go flat suddenly. It could also be a defect in one of the tires. I would look there first because it was fine before the tires were replaced and broken after the tires were replaced, it must have had something to do with the tires. A tire could be balanced, but still be out of round.
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 400cc
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:05 am quote
Yes really shuts the tire is ok, itís been checked by several times. The movement on the wheel was probably there for a longer period, but with the worn tires it wasnít noticeable. When I lift the front wheel, you can feel the play in the fork when you leave your hand on the fork, so I guess these bearings needs to be replaced. You can order the bearing and pin separately but Maksor told these cannot be replaced. Hopefully there is a way to replace them because a new leg is pretty expensive.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1466s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0265s) ][ Debug on ]