Wire routing help GTS300
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2019 Kymco Like 150, 2020 GTS 300 HPE
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 am quote
Just got my new 2020 GTS300HPE a few days ago and want to hook up my GPS. it's on a ram mount on the left mirror stalk.

I want to run a USB cable from the port in the glove box up into the handle bar cover and out the mirror mount hole.

This has got to be commonly done to power phones and GPS.

Can someone who has done it give me some tips? Is there another way to power the Gps without using the glove box USB port?

Thanks.

[/img]

7F78984C-C41F-48EC-A2C1-4FFBBE83E975.jpeg

5A9E48A1-8E05-4CFB-A1A1-D5C1CFE736D2.jpeg

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm quote
You would have to take the top piece off the handlebar.
first emove the mirrows, take the tiny screws out from underneath the bars. remove the pieces that cover the brake reservoir and then the screw under the headlight. At least this is the procedure on my 06 GTS. Yours may vary. You should google scooterwest and look at some of Roberts videos. He is very well informed. The horn wire will be easily attached to at this point.
Hope this helps.
Tony
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:26 pm quote
You could do what I am doing: find a thin wire with a flat profile and simply close the glove box door on it. Not an elegant solution but simple and effective. I found a small USB hub with four outlets. I use one outlet to power my GPS and another outlet to power my phone.

The GPS and phone are mounted on the mirror stems on RAM mounts.

Another alternative is to install a USB outlet in the left kneepad. Scooterwest sells simple plug and play kits you can install. This is preferable because the USB outlet in the glove box seems a little anemic, but it does the job.
GTS
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:15 am quote
I am in a similar position. I dont think a thin flat, USB cable is the solution as it will bow the cover and possibly permanently over time. I was thinking of coming out of the usb in glovebox and routing it up the mirror stem as well but, I am not sure how easily this can be done.

Any tutorials or solutions, I am all ears
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:21 am quote
Iíll post photos later. I have zero concerns about damage to the glove box door.
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 am quote
On my Kymco Like150 I was able to drill a hole in the roof of the glove box and fish the USB wire up through that and out the mirror hole. A lot of "fishing" but it worked with almost no butchering of the bike.

I'm hoping someone has done something similar and can offer some tips.

I'm really reluctant to drill a hole or even attempt some disassembly of my 3 day old bike.
Ossessionato
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 am quote
I had difficulty finding a mini USB cable with a slim profile. I found skinny micro USB cables and I ordered a 90 degree micro to mini USB adapter that is coming very slowly from Ebay. Until then I butchered a mini USB cable and a 300 ohm stereo antenna and soldered on the USB connectors and it is ugly but works perfectly to power my Garmin.

Here are the photos:

(The knitted thing on the left is the cupholder Quezzie knitted for me).

688FDCE2-3F74-41C7-B892-0B3419554CE5.jpeg

DD236E69-A8E0-416D-8704-990EE0514EC2.jpeg

9E074484-6E36-4107-BD8E-296772482EA9.jpeg

GTS
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:54 pm quote
For anyone looking for a flat and thin iPhone cable, I purchased this one a few months ago for my car and I have not found anything thinner or flatter than this. Based on the picture from David, this cable should be the ticket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M4QAQI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Forgot to add, that I destroyed (intentionally) the whole mechanism and just removed the cable to use as a regular cable.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 pm quote
Get the ScooterWest kit. It has 2 USB ports and it is located in the left knee cover. Itís a clean way to accomplish what your doing.
https://www.scooterwest.com/usb-power-plug-kit-gts-super-gtv-abs-300-2015-2018.html
Call them to make sure itís compatible with 2020.
Ossessionato
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:12 pm quote
Beever wrote:
For anyone looking for a flat and thin iPhone cable, I purchased this one a few months ago for my car and I have not found anything thinner or flatter than this. Based on the picture from David, this cable should be the ticket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M4QAQI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Forgot to add, that I destroyed (intentionally) the whole mechanism and just removed the cable to use as a regular cable.
Too funny, thatís precisely what I did - got it at Best Buy!!!
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 am quote
It is very easy to attain your goal here. First you must drill a small hole in the inner glove box. Somewhere near the fuse box but don't just go drilling merrily away. Behind that glove box there are cables and brake pipes, coolant pipes etc. I'd loosen the handlebar cowling by removing the screws then unclip it and let it dangle. Then undo the entire glovebox but don't remove it, there is no need to do that. You want to be able to see behind it easily that's all so just pull it forward a bit. Select a suitable spot to drill then just pop a small hole big enough to pass your mini usb cable end through and also the bigger usb end too (so in future you can remove your glove box by passing the usb plug through and out of harms way). Run it up to the handlebar area and use cable ties to clip it in place. You will be able to pass it through the hole around the mirror base. Of course you may have already removed the mirror to facilitate the cowling removal. Allow enough cable to plug it in to your device and then reassemble the bike. Plug in your usb end to the socket in the glove box and the job is done.

Do make sure your cable has plenty of slack so that it doesn't pull tight when you turn the handlebars.
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:52 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
It is very easy to attain your goal here. First you must drill a small hole in the inner glove box. Somewhere near the fuse box but don't just go drilling merrily away. Behind that glove box there are cables and brake pipes, coolant pipes etc. I'd loosen the handlebar cowling by removing the screws then unclip it and let it dangle. Then undo the entire glovebox but don't remove it, there is no need to do that. You want to be able to see behind it easily that's all so just pull it forward a bit. Select a suitable spot to drill then just pop a small hole big enough to pass your mini usb cable end through and also the bigger usb end too (so in future you can remove your glove box by passing the usb plug through and out of harms way). Run it up to the handlebar area and use cable ties to clip it in place. You will be able to pass it through the hole around the mirror base. Of course you may have already removed the mirror to facilitate the cowling removal. Allow enough cable to plug it in to your device and then reassemble the bike. Plug in your usb end to the socket in the glove box and the job is done.

Do make sure your cable has plenty of slack so that it doesn't pull tight when you turn the handlebars.
Exactly what I want to do.

Follow up question: Scooter West.com and maybe others sell a USB port Preinstalled in a left kneepad with a plug that fits into the factory plug meant for, I presume, a factory alarm option. It seems these are only for 2014 and older bikes that do not have ABS. Do newer models still have that unused alarm plug?

The attached pic shows what's behind my left kneepad cover. The slots in the plastic imply it's meant to be cut out for some reason.

I ask because adding a USB power supply hidden in there would be an even cleaner installation and leave the glovebox USB free for charging a phone if needed.

As always, this noobie (4 days now, 250 miles) Vespa owner thanks you in advance for your help.

6FD6862B-7EAA-48AD-B379-74724101F720.jpeg

Ossessionato
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 am quote
The ScooterWest site has excellent videos that explain the glovebox removal process, and the installation of their electrical kits.

The ABS Vespas have a round plug instead of the square alarm plug. ScooterWest sells an alarm plug adapter that allows all mods intended for the square plug to be plug-and-play.

I installed a signal minder on my 2016 GTS and I posted here to show how the ScooterWest adapter plugs into the round alarm connector:

Signal Minder and LED turn signals

Removing the glovebox is easier if you remove both halves of the handlebar covers first. You can do it without taking that step (which is what I do), but there will be a lot of wiggling and bending and cursing both on removal, and on reassembly. Also, you need to know the rubber band secret to re-installing the glovebox, failing which, you won't be able to open the glovebox door once re-installed. I don't know where I learned the secret. It might be on a ScooterWest video, or a Mic Bergsma video, or in a post here. It's a little difficult to explain, not that difficult to do though.

I'll do my best to explain it here. Sorry I don't have any photos to share.

There is a little dogleg lever that releases the glovebox catch when the ignition is pressed in. It hangs limp, and is in the wrong position on reassembly unless you hook an elastic band on it, pass the band to the front of the leg shield and hook it onto something or other in the vicinity of the horn. Once the glovebox is reinstalled, and you confirm that pressing the ignition releases the glovebox door, clip the elastic band with a pair of scissors and remove it from where you hooked it near the horn.

The odds are that the first time you remove the glovebox you will find the remnants of the elastic band they used in the factory. I did. It was yellow.

Why they don't put a 1 cent spring on the dogleg is beyond me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:03 am quote
David Masse wrote:
I had difficulty finding a mini USB cable with a slim profile. I found skinny micro USB cables and I ordered a 90 degree micro to mini USB adapter that is coming very slowly from Ebay. Until then I butchered a mini USB cable and a 300 ohm stereo antenna and soldered on the USB connectors and it is ugly but works perfectly to power my Garmin.

David, the word eloquent comes to mind with those pictures....

But hey, it works!

As for cable out of glovebox, I solved my dilemma the first time by trapping a screw in the door when closing it, which made a small divot in the door....perfect spot for squeezing a cord out of. Fancy.

Second move was installing my own USB port in the kneepad, splicing it into the wiring for the existing USB.

Was in a large local building supply store and found a set of three cables of different lengths, all flat. Would work well, except I'm well past that point.

As to the OP, the only way to go without digging into the scooter is to add the kneepad outlet. Aesthetically a win over having a plug dangling from the mirror stem anyway, though that is a tempting idea.....just a ton of work. Now that I think about it, wonder how much fishing it might take to possible make that happen without disassembly.
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:20 pm quote
Thanks. That's exactly the info I need.

I just watched the scooterwest. Video and they explained everything. I'm hoping it applies to my 2020. Probably will.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:46 pm quote
Wolfeboats wrote:
Thanks. That's exactly the info I need.

I just watched the scooterwest. Video and they explained everything. I'm hoping it applies to my 2020. Probably will.
Their product keeps it simple & clean looking.
Ossessionato
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:26 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
David Masse wrote:

David, the word eloquent comes to mind with those pictures....

But hey, it works!
Eloquent?? Hmmm... as in worth thousands of words? Thanks Dave.

My black 2010 GTS has dual marine grade outlets plus a heated grip controller. I am cautiously optimistic that my kludgy setup on the new GTS will do the trick and spare the left kneepad some surgery and indignity. I hedged my bet though because I have a circuit direct to the battery ready in behind the kneepad (I provided for it when installing the Stebel) in case the glovebox network canít manage powering the GPS and my phone.

I have a 1,000 km trip planned this week. That will be the acid test.

Brief digression, I have a video launching on my YouTube channel tomorrow that is... nope, no spoilers
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:04 pm quote
PROBLEM SOLVED! And way easier than I expected.

1. Take off mirror. Did everyone but me know the left mirror is a left hand thread?

2. Take off horn cover. The scooterwest video shows how to pop off the Piaggio emblem, remove one screw and slide cover upward. On my 2020 the spring tabs are different. You just pull out. Doesn't take much force.

3. Unscrew fuse box. Two screws at the bottom and it slides down a bit to disengage two tabs at the top. It will be held on by the wire harness but there is enough slack to wiggle it out of the way to see behind it.

4. Unplug the two wire cable (red in the attached image) that powers the built-in USB port. Note this supplies 12 volts, the reduction to 5 volts is done by the socket itself. Push and wiggle the USB socket out of its rubber grommet.

5. Feed your USB cable through the mirror hole. Just wiggle and push and say a prayer and you will see it pass down from the handlebar cover into the leg shield. A flash light helps a lot to see what's going on. I bent a hook into a piece of wire and used that to guide the USB cable down far enough so you can get to it through the fuse box opening. The access provided by removing the horn cover let's you see the wire and guide it with the hook if necessary. This process takes some fiddling and some luck probably but all told I don't think I spent ten minutes getting the USB cable threaded through to the back of the fuse box.

6. Plug the Vespa power cable removed in step 4 back where it came from. Plug your USB cable into the Vespa socket.

7. Replace the horn cover and fuse box. A magnetic T25 torx driver eases getting the fuse box screws into place. That's it!

This uses the Vespa USB socket so it's no longer available in the glove box. I ordered a USB socket for $10 from Amazon. When it comes I'm going to splice it into the Vespa two wire cable and put the Vespa USB socket back in it's rubber grommet so I'll have that plus my extra USB cable for the GPS.

Third attachment shows the finished product. The wood block ram mount is a prototype. After I get the FACO twin screen installed I'll fab up something nicer.

164EA310-8A1F-4BF9-9565-5B4D6F083893.jpeg

7A722696-FD9D-489C-946C-D3EDDBE0EEA8.jpeg

FF99F41C-A1C4-41CD-9C66-25D6644BC421.jpeg

Ossessionato
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm quote
Hmmm... on my Vespas the mirror threads are identical if I recall correctly.

RAM has U-bolt holders that hold very securely on the mirror stems. I think the the windscreen arms may be too thin to support RAM mounts.
Enthusiast
2012 LX150ie
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:44 pm quote
Haha left hand thread
I have been hearing for years of the mythical left hand thread. Various Vespa models and years are supposed to have them. I never encountered anybody who actually had them. Itís sort of a Unicorn.

I think the most we can say is that your Vespa has a left hand threaded mirror.
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 pm quote
Bump for Dandydoug
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 am quote
Not to be a story topper but I just responded to this wire story with a much simpler install in ADV, Battle scooters.
Easy to take a minute and feed a wire down through the leg shield to the battery from a power outlet on the left shoulder piece. The other aspect of solution I used is found on www.3brpowersports.com who builds and sells the redband power cord designed for this purpose on scooters and MC's. Mine is exact length to run from weatherproof USB in shoulder to RAM mount on stem nearby.
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am quote
Mike, my goal was to hide the wire as much as possible.

Installing an outlet on the knee pad, as scooter west sells, is a good solution and more flexible because you can plug in whatever you want. But then you have the wire dangling there when you are using it.

I don't see using any electronics while I ride except the GPS. The last thing I want is to be distracted by a phone call or text message.

If my phone needs charging it can go in the glove box although, for safety, I try to keep my phone in a zipped or velcroed pocket, not on the bike.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 am quote
The dangle factor is why you size the red band cable to fit the setup. It allows full motion of the handlebars yet not in the way. If you'll read about that cable and how it functions to transmitt data, not just power, then it's value becomes easily apparent.
I am NOT a cell phone addict even when stopped and also dislike riding and reading a GPS as even in a car/truck they will kill you or others. Riding I have a route in mind then the GPS is icing on that cake. Usually I make a post-it size note of turns and road numbers for ready reference. My reading glasses are not worn when riding thus phones and GPS's become non useful to me unless I stop.
I really dislike those moments using a GPS when the distance toa turn gets dicey as the gizmo counts down from several hundred meters to bang! now your there. In a city it is ridiculous sometimes and needs my wife to watch the screen while I do the stay alive routine.
My neighbor the state cop was telling me yesterday as to our cell law which says texting illegal yet on the road the law has no enforcement as nobody knows if a phone user is texting or simply answering the phone, etc.. If they stop them they argue it was just a few touches or reading the screen but of course thousands die everyday over this stuff. All my sons use blue tooth in motion never text but we all see the texters.
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 am quote
My iPhone is my GPS among many other things. The 3 apps I use on the bike are Reminders (list of stops because I WILL enjoy riding enough to forget why I left the house ), Maps or similar gps, and music (in-helmet speakers). I rarely touch my phone after I leave the parking space & can't in winter...my winter gloves don't work with the touchscreen. The only reason to is to skip a distracting song, but I've since fixed that issue with playlists.
I deal with dangling cable via a hair tie (my solution to multipurpose rubber bands). I coil the cable and band it, then uncoil just enough to plug in and account for handlebar movement.
Just one possible approach that works for me. If your solution works, rock on. It sounds aesthetically cleaner and you probably don't have to worry about your cable disappearing while away from the bike. (I haven't lost one yet, but I stow it if I'm gone more than a brief moment.)
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1729s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0313s) ][ Debug on ]