Overheating
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Lurker
2012 Vespa LXV 150 ie
Joined: 01 Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Location: Denver
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:04 pm quote
I just bought a 2012 LXV 150 ie with 82 miles. I've been riding it for a couple weeks and have about 300 miles on it. My engine overheated and began to stall. I haven't noticed a fan going on and was wondering if this is common. I also noticed that when it was shut off, the could hear it buzzing (like it was injecting gas). I opened the gas cap and it stopped. I did smell a lot of gas prior to that. I don't have the owners manual for this scooter.

This happened on my old 2006 GTS 200 as well.

Any ideas?
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 700
Location: Toronto
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:26 pm quote
Hi and welcome.

You posted this in the "wiki" section, so it might not get much attention. Better to post in the general section.

Unlike the GT200, I thought the LX is air cooled (and has no temperature gauge?). How do you know stalling on your LX is caused by overheating?
Addicted
Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 702

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:16 am quote
Vaccuum in fuel line or cap.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 8166
Location: New Hampshire
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:32 am quote
Re: Overheating
mikegins16 wrote:
I just bought a 2012 LXV 150 ie with 82 miles. I've been riding it for a couple weeks and have about 300 miles on it. My engine overheated and began to stall. I haven't noticed a fan going on and was wondering if this is common. I also noticed that when it was shut off, the could hear it buzzing (like it was injecting gas). I opened the gas cap and it stopped. I did smell a lot of gas prior to that. I don't have the owners manual for this scooter.

This happened on my old 2006 GTS 200 as well.

Any ideas?
Have you ever over filled the gas tank?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7205
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:48 am quote
If it is overheating while you are moving it is not a fan issue, if it is overheating while sitting in traffic it could be a fan or temp sensor issue.

A voltmeter is going to be your friend. Test the sensors on the radiator, there are two of them, test the right one. and test for voltage at the fan once engine temp gets hot enough.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5784
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 am quote
Manuals are here:
https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/LX150/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 8166
Location: New Hampshire
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:39 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
If it is overheating while you are moving it is not a fan issue, if it is overheating while sitting in traffic it could be a fan or temp sensor issue.

A voltmeter is going to be your friend. Test the sensors on the radiator, there are two of them, test the right one. and test for voltage at the fan once engine temp gets hot enough.
The 150 is air cooled. No radiator, no fan, no sensors.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7205
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:06 am quote
NightWing wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
If it is overheating while you are moving it is not a fan issue, if it is overheating while sitting in traffic it could be a fan or temp sensor issue.

A voltmeter is going to be your friend. Test the sensors on the radiator, there are two of them, test the right one. and test for voltage at the fan once engine temp gets hot enough.
The 150 is air cooled. No radiator, no fan, no sensors.
Oh, then ignore my post

Look for something blocking air flow or a lean mixture, look at the spark plug.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1796s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0462s) ][ Debug on ]