1981 100 Sport Sunny Summer
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am quote
sdjohn wrote:
so long as you've got a good crimper (and it looks like you do), then those should do nicely. a proper tool makes that job so much better.
Absolutely. The crimper makes all the difference.

Last edited by JimVonBaden on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 pm quote
That is exactly the one I have. It works quite well.
2 Vespa 90 V9A1T US Model's
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:51 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Quote:
When they show up, which is basically never; I've seen some go for multi-hundred's....
Time to ramp up the fiberglass R&D

SoCalGuy, did you make this fiberglass door? Looks good! In need of one.

Last edited by smallframenyc on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
2 Vespa 90 V9A1T US Model's
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 am quote
GeekLion wrote:
Gave the new Sporty a good wash
GeekLion, did you ever locate or fabricate a door for this bike? Any project updates on this one?
Cheers
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:40 pm quote
A few small updates, as I've made little progress, as I have barely touched this project lately. Other life things have taken priority. Just a little tinker here and there. Basicly seems like I've done nothing! haha. VooDoo and I did a nice trade, Quid Pro Quo as they say. He hooked me up with a good lot of misc little parts for this project. Thanks again Terry!

I did get a handmade door for the battery side, courtesy of SoCal and by way of Voodoo. Thanks again guys. Its a nice piece of work, which due to other circumstances may not get used on this bike after all because.... after the fact I procured an NOS battery side door. That is a nice perfect fit, with Piaggio factory sticker on it. So handmade door is a possible up for trade type thing for a desperate soul. I feel your pain.

Latest update is
Still have no spark, but havn't had a moment to try to fix it either. I knew the stator needed a rewire, which I did but still no spark. Thinking it was bad condenser, and the points are old and worn too. So I decided to go a different route and convert this lil Sporty to CDI with magnetic pickup. Have read up a few other posts on the subject, and it seems pretty straight forward.

As some of you may know; the 100 sport ignition is similar to a P-series, in that it is setup for magnetic CDI ignition; although they shipped from factory with points/condenser setup. The flywheel has a pickup embedded in it already, in addition to the cam system for the points. Its possible to convert to CDI by swapping the ignition coil on stator, swapping points for magnetic pickup, swapping the ht coil for ducati CDI; a lil rewire and bam! hot spark and no points!

So now I'm working on the stator. Have the points & condenser removed. Went to install the magnetic pickup where the points previously were, and the pickup doesn't quite fit. First, the hole that the pickup should screw down (as far as I can tell) is not threaded for a screw. Is it ok to thread this hole? dont see why not.....

Second: there is a locating pin on the bottom of pickup, that I deduct should fit into a corresponding hole on the stator. On my stator where that hole should be is a larger hole with a rivet inside. This prevents the pin from locating properly, and prevents the pickup from sitting flush against the stator plate.

Third: I'm having trouble removing the old ignition coil, so I can replace with the proper one for CDI use. I have the metal tab bent up, but the coil wont budge. I did not use alot of force as I want to be able to salvage it if necessary....

Thoughts, advise, and jabbing comments appreciated

pointsandcondensor removed.jpg
Points and condenser removed

IMG_7774.jpg
magnetic sensor should go here??

IMG_7775.jpg
locating pin doesnt fit, and screw hole not threaded....

IMG_7776.jpg
old ignition coil doesn't want to come off

Hooked
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:29 am quote
hey, I am following along here as my 100 doesnt have spark either. I did rewire and bike only has 380 mile on it so points looked nice. I did order a condenser which would be my last try. if that doesnt work I want to convert like you are doing. if you could share were you sourced the parts that would be great.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm quote
A little progress today, although not on the stator....so I'm hoping someone who has done this can offer some tips.

Does anyone have any tips to get the ignition coil off without destroying it? Are they glued on, or only held on by the folded tab? I'm afraid I'll break the coil if I try to pry it off or grab with pliers.

Also, does anyone have any advise on mounting the magnetic pickup to the stator plate? The locating pin on the pickup doesn't locate properly with any recesses in the plate, and prevents the pickup from laying flat as it should.

I can thread the hole on the plate to mount the pickup. Should I just remove the pin? If so, will eyeballing the pickup mounting be ok? Am I overthinking this? haha
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:24 pm quote
meanwhile... I did some rust treatment to the top of the fuel tank. Inside is already extremely clean, but the tope is fully rusted. I gave it a quick scrub to remove the surface scale, and soaked the top in some phosphoric acid. An old bottle of Prep and Etch I've had laying around. Glad to finally use it up. I put a rubber glove under the tank cap to keep any rusty gooey acid out of the inside. Now the tanks all rust free inside and out and ready for paint!

I also did some clean up on the floorboards, as the PO had 3M taped down a rubber floor mat after removing the floor rails. A little goof off, patience and elbow grease and the floors are gleaming again! As good as they can atleast

Mounted the spare tire holder to the legshield. Credit goes to VooDoo for hooking me up wit that! Thanks T!! Maybe a dumb question, but how does the top of the wheel mount to that little bracket thing? Obviously the bottom goes through the stud opening hole in the wheel, what about the top? Am I missing a piece?

IMG_7780.jpg
rusty top ready to be new

IMG_7781.jpg
Soaked the rags and let it sit. Periodically gave it a scrub for some of the heavier spots.

IMG_7785.jpg
All fresh!!

IMG_7782.jpg
One side clean, one to go. Why would you glue down a floor mat?!

IMG_7783.jpg
Floors all clean! help me mount a spare! haha

Ossessionato
1980 P200E, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 am quote
for the spare, they usually have one more bit that is a tab to hold the wheel. You can see it in this pic:

Untitled by john.headley, on Flickr[/img]
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 am quote
Ah ha! Thought I was missing something. Thx SDJohn.

Btw, that gas can holder is cool. Clean look!
Ossessionato
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:10 am quote
GeekLion wrote:
Ah ha! Thought I was missing something. Thx SDJohn.

Btw, that gas can holder is cool. Clean look!
thanks. it's dead simple to make too, it's just particleboard cut to shape with a couple slots for the velcro strap and a few holes for mounting.
Molto Verboso
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Mal 177 MKIII in pieces
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 am quote
oh hey.. randomly useful tidbit just stumbled upon... http://www.vintageconnections.com Been wondering where I could get some obscure connectors from. Thanks guys!
Ossessionato
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:29 am quote
those guys are awesome, it is so nice to work with the crimper and connectors they sell. it makes doing electrical a pleasure.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:53 am quote
I've ordered a few bits from Vintage Connections. Good resource!
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm quote
I was able to remove the old ignition coil, but not without destroying it... not intentionally. I got it to start sliding off, after removing the metal end plate & fiber spacer; but the red plastic was very brittle and broke into many pieces after just a little pressure. I did my best So this CDI conversion better work out!

After removing the old coil, I cleaned up the stator plate where it mounts as there was a little bit of rust corrosion. I had to clean up the inside of the new coil a bit before it would slide on smoothly. I just scraped/shaved the plastic with a razor blade till it was a snug fit. Once I got that ready to go, i put a small amount of locktite on the plate/coil just to add a little security. Put on the coil, then fiber spacer, then metal washer/plate goes on last. Folded the tab back down and gave it a few light taps with a chisel to get it snug.

For the new magnetic pickup, I went ahead and removed the locating pin by tapping it out with a small punch. Easy. Threaded the hole on the stator with an m5, and the pickup went on. I think this will work out fine.

Next up: Soldering and wiring

Also need to figure out where to put the CDI. Ideally I'd like it to go in the battery tray, as I'm not a fan of the idea of gasoline/carb/cdi al together. But Havn't decided yet. Both have their +/-. Regardless, want to keep it out of engine bay, for longevity and clean looks.

IMG_7810.jpg
New coil and pickup

IMG_7809.jpg
pickup pin removed

Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:29 am quote
Spark !
And...... we have spark!!!

I rewired and soldered the new stator wires. Mounted the CDI in the battery box, and ran the new wires from the stator to the cdi by fishing them through the bottom tunnel grommet and out the existing left side grommets to the battery tray. I did drill 1 hole in the battery tray for the plug wire, and 2 small holes for the CDI mount. I used a ET3 CDI bracket that usually goes on the motor, but I repurposed here by mounting it to the sheet metal with rubber spacers for vibration dampening. Installed a new battery & inline fuse holder. After all that, it sparked right up! Finally! I've been chipping a way at this a little at a time. So I'm seeing the spark at the end of the tunnel!

Its all ready to add fuel & oil. Stay tuned.

Pictures to follow
Ossessionato
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:58 am quote
Nice work but it doesnít count without pics of your mounting!
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am quote
100 Sport CDI Conversion
Pics as promised

IMG_7831.jpg
Battery Tray. I mounted the CDI here so that a stock size battery can still be fitted. Tight squeeze but doable. Note the 1 new hole for spark wire in upper left.

IMG_7833.jpg
ET3 CDI Bracket + 2 rubber feet from hardware store

IMG_7836.jpg
Spark plug wire ran out the new hole in battery tray, down and around the inside of engine compartment. Temporary for now until I fin a better solution. I chose this over drilling more holes to go through the tunnel.

IMG_7837.jpg
New stator wiring & magnetic pickup. Note the 2 black/white wires; I would route these differently if doing it over again;for cleanliness sake. But should'nt be an issue.

Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm quote
<iframe></iframe>

Finally started up after this thing sat 10+ years (with P.O.). Not too shabby and first impression sounds strong. Wants to stall out due to air leak @ I think the carb intake. Had to baby the choke/throttle to keep it idleing, but we have some life!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:49 pm quote

Nice, huh!

And you had a long tuff road too.
But you be riding that POS soon w/ big grin on .
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:14 pm quote
Nice is an understatement. I love that Vespa sound! It has been a long road to here, just a little bit at a time. Still more to do, but atleast I know it spits smoke. Now to dive in deeper to make it purr.

Thanks for the encouragement, advice, trades and gentle prodding T
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 pm quote
Smallframe Air leak fix
I was able to chase down and fix the air leaks causing high & sporatic idle the first time I started it. After the fix, it started first kick and purred nicely.

Here is what I did.
- Filled slots in carb with Hylomar
- Filled slots in the aluminum intake manifold sleeve with Hylomar
- Saturated the felt ring with Hylomar & sealed it within the sleeve
- * installed felt ring on carb side of intake, so it sits between carb & sleeve in the machined area. This is where it was when originally removed.
- Plugged a hole in the air filter box with rubber plug, as should be from factory
- Replaced the cork gasket between carb & airbox

After this it started first kick! I ran it only for a short test, as the shroud and fan cover where not installed. Just wanted to see if it had life. Which it does!

I'm slowly making some headway on this after chasing down and out the bugs. Of course after making progress here, I found some other issues to sort out, but that is the name of this game!

New issues:
No lights after stator rewire.
After stator rewiring, I have no lights/horn. I checked stator output of lighting coils, which is the purple wire on my stator; and there is NO output from the stator. Visually the coils look good to me, but I am no expert. I cannot confirm that these were in good condition before the rewire, as this bike did not run before the rewire.

--- Any advise on how to test if the coils are good? and/or other things to chase down....

Other new issue which may or may not be minor: the OLIO FILL BOLT threads in the case are slightly stripped. This was done by previous owner, not me! haha. The bolt threads in, but if tightened too much it will spin around. For now, I think some RTV will hold & seal fine, but long term fix will need to be rethreaded for larger bolt, or other options?....

Getting closer....

Hooked
Ď64 V90 survivor, Ď75 V90 graffiti
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:07 pm quote
It looks like your brake light is on all of the time. Could just be a wiring issue or you might find a broken switch stop on the pedal assembly as I did.

E038085E-59B1-4465-B2E2-B3E0A03F9B0E.jpeg
What I found

85021111-2114-485B-A8E9-A634558F93B2.jpeg
Replacement

Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:18 pm quote
exmayor wrote:
It looks like your brake light is on all of the time. Could just be a wiring issue or you might find a broken switch stop on the pedal assembly as I did.
Thanks for the input Exmayor, Good idea to keep a look out for; but it's not the brake light. That is the taillight, and both brake switches function properly.

I've checked most of the wiring, and the issue is that there is 0v output from the stator lighting coils. I disconnected the Purple wire @ regulator to test output = 0v. Disconnected the Purple wire from stator @ main harnes = 0v from stator.

Ignition coil is working properly.
The charging coil is working properly, averaging output 13.5@idle / 13.9@higher revs.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:21 pm quote
For your oil plugs, I've wrapped teflon tape around several times and got it to stay in tight and not leak.The thread is ordinary M8 so a slightly longer fresh bolt w/ teflon tape could help. I have heard rumors of oversize thread plugs to fix this exact issue, but never actually found them. Anybody?

Your fancy wiring and pointless conversion that works, but where are the lites???? Dude, I dunno and am amazed you got the conversion working so well for ignition! Just tape or bungee a coupla damn flashlites on there like I did on my first one, same reason, so you can take a little early evening ride now.

Pretty sure we need up to date pics including a simple rolling shot to confirm your claims.
Molto Verboso

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:41 pm quote
For stripped oil plug threads, a Time-Sert canít be beat for long term reliability. A Helicoil is more designed for a one time use...as in you shouldnít remove the fastener once you thread it into a helicoil. Otherwise the helicoil insert could come unwound, creating an even bigger mess. Whenever I strip down any of my cases for any reason, i automatically will install a time-sert in them whether is needs one or not. Eventually it will probably need one if you ride enough and change the oil enough times.

I have also drilled and tapped the drain hole to a m8. I used the m8 drain plug that comes on one of the Bajajís (I donít remember which model). It was just an ďokĒ fix. I donít think Iíd do it again though. Iíll probably end up welding the hole shut then redrill and tap it to fit a 6mm time-sert in it the next time I have the case apart.

Just make sure that you stay above 13.3 volts (at idle) on your system when all the lights are on. Those fancy batteries can overheat and melt if the scoooterís ignition system canít provide a high enough charging rate to them.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:25 pm quote
I'll check into the Time-serts for when I eventually break down the case. I've seen them, but never used or installed them. I think its an interesting idea to put them in wether needed or not, as I've known plenty others who have dealt with the stripped out oil plug holes. Good tip!

I'll keep an eye on the voltage output when I've got all this sorted out. Was planning to run LED lights, to help keep the voltage consumption down & keep the brightness up. I'm experimenting a bit here with the Lithium battery and LED's. I got some tail/brake bulbs, which light up nice and bright; but dont look good.... too narrow an angle/too few led's. If the system doesn't balance out in the end, I'm OK going back to traditional battery/bulbs etc. Some Trial and error but I think I can work it out!

I rechecked the output from the lighting coils, and am actually getting a small output of 0.1v @ idle. Maybe not significant, but perhaps it lends to the idea that the lighting coils need replacing?...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:16 pm quote
Time sert or Tap lok, similar products from different companies.

I've used Tap loks in production and prefer them for their simplicity, although Time serts probably can use a smaller hole for real tight jobs, not sure. You can use a Tap lok with nothing more than a standard drill and a bolt and jam nut to install for one or two, so zero taps or special tools. The insert is the tap.

vs

and
https://www.timesert.com/

vs
https://www.groov-pin.com/tap-lok-hole-series.html
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 pm quote
Good info on the Time-Serts and Tap-locks. I will def come back for reference and future use.

Today I made some more progress and hit a milestone! The first test ride!
I did some final work to get it road worthy, atleast enough for a few short laps around the neighborhood

New Conti Zippy-1 tires mounted on new rims. I got the rims in a lot of stuff a while back, so its nice to finally put them to use; and the price is right.

Adjusted the front brake cable, and shifter cables; as both were reeeeally stretched. All cables need replacing, but was able to make it enough for a quick romp around the block. Scuffed up the front brake shoes & drum, as they were glazed over pretty darn good and basicly non functional.

I still havn't figured out the stator light output issue, so I hooked up the headlight to the taillight circuit on the ignition switch; as a temporary solution for the short night ride.

This was the first time I've been able to ride this scoot, and I'd say it was a success! It sat in storage with the previous owner for 10+ years or so, and after sorting through most of the small things a little at a time; My first impressions are that the engine is strong for this bike! Clutch worked smooth gears shifted easily, carb rebuild obviously worked; I think all good overall!

Fun no doubt. It has been more than a few years since I've had a running Vespa; so even the short ride was fantastic! Now back to work to make it really road worthy! Rebuild the front hub, new brakes, new cables, finalize some wiring and fix the lighting issue most of all.

Getting closer!

Please forgive the trashy start, and shaky shots! I wrapped my phone to the headset with electrical tape. Effective but maybe not professional. Makes for artsy video

[https://youtu.be/GSp0LT_IyQc]

IMG_7867.jpeg
New Conti Zippy-1's and SIP Wheels

IMG_7870.jpeg
Rollin on new Rubber!

IMG_7848.jpg
New to me, Slightly used replica SS90 seat. I like the stream lined look. Much better than the old and busted cracked seat

Ossessionato
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:54 pm quote
That video is trippy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:29 pm quote
I like the shiny mudguard.

And all that power on tap of course!

But I confess I did get a little bit dizzy...
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
I like the shiny mudguard.

And all that power on tap of course!

But I confess I did get a little bit dizzy...
Trippin on Two Stroke!
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.2007s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0418s) ][ Debug on ]