Maybe, sorta
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 am quote
I posted a week or so ago about a missed chance at a '61 Allstate. ( I'm sure there was a little whining involved). Any who, a local guy I know offered a 2003 Stella at a good price. I gave it a first pass, but offered it up on here (DOD). Now he would drop the price for me just to get me back on 2 wheels again (good guy), but I'm not sure it's worth doing the deal. I had a '03 Stella years ago, in fact it was my first scooter. It never really let me down and getting rid of the cat muffler and rejetting, really woke it up. The front disc was nice, shocks worked good, but I never trusted it after all the flak I read on here and other forums. Am I being paranoid, or should I wait for right Vespa to come along? Happy fourth everyone!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:27 am quote
Happy 4th to you too!

That's a tough one. You really want a real Vespa and a good one will come along eventually. But the Stella is a real scooter and not as bad as some think. I certainly don't look down on them and came to respect their basic construction when I built my cutdown. You know about the rubber bits being dicey and you should avoid certain years that may have weak crankshafts. Other than that, you get low miles and a fairly low price. If you want to ride this summer, go get it and post some piccys.

2007 Stella hacked frame then:

and now:
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 am quote
If someone wants to do you a favor and get you back on two wheels, let 'em

I've had my '05 Stella since it was new, ridden the hell out of it year-round in Chicago, street-parked it for a good five years of that time, blown up and rebuilt the engine numerous times as I was learning my tuning craft, and still use it on an almost-daily basis.

It has taken everything I and the world have thrown at it, and other than the rubber and wiring wearing out somewhat prematurely compared to expectations, I couldn't ask for a more reliable scooter.

It's not the fastest--top speed on mine was only about 52 mph stock, but the motor has lots of room for improvement if you want to go that route, or it'll Just Run pretty much forever with little or no TLC if you don't.

People can sneer all they like that you're not on a "real" Vespa, but given that they came off the same production lines with the same workers (more or less) as when Vespa owned the factory, I'm not sure what makes one more "real" than the other, besides the badges and the more advanced suspension and engine tech on the LML.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:46 am quote
Thanks for the tips guys. If I pick it up, I would just do what I did before: bin the cat exhaust, pick up a standard P 150 exhaust, re-jet and ride. Not into speed anymore, a putt around town bike, no more, no less. I'm just seeing how this plays out, As far as the wonky cranks go, it seemed to happen post 2003, but I may be wrong.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:21 pm quote
Rob Hodge, who worked for Scooterworks/Genuine Scooters, had the data on that, and it was something like 3% of one production run of the 2003's, IIRC, and at this point, they've all statistically either died and been replaced, because the failure happened pretty quickly.

At this point, it's more mythology than anything people need to actually worry about unless you're buying a NOS LML crank for some reason.
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:09 pm quote
Maybe,sorta
Hey Tierney: are you in the market for an Allstate? Scott
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:18 pm quote
Not really after an Allstate, just an old scooter, I had my share of the P series, but if the price is right, I'll probably go for it.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:20 pm quote
The shipping from Cali to here would be horrendous. Thanks anyway
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:36 pm quote
Maybe...sorta
Yea no worries...be patient one will pop up.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2454s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0504s) ][ Debug on ]