ET2 Modding
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:05 pm quote
I'm not very mechanical but would like to get my ET2 a little more power. What do I need; what should I get? I definetly want the 70cc kit but what else? I have trouble understanding what I need for the 70cc kit on the Scooter West site.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:50 pm quote
Hey Rosetti,

Len Smith on here has a kitted ET2. Also, this topic was pretty well aired out in this thread on the that other bbs. This was an informative and civil thread, but be prepared to step waist-deep into the sludge if you wander around on that board. There are a couple different folks there who know what they're talking about when it comes to kitting ET2s, and I think they all weighed in on this thread so you'll see pretty quickly who can help you with hard info.

In general, though, where "kitting the motor" is concerned, the strategy is to move more fuel charge into your cylinder (through a bigger carb), increase the displacement of the cylinder (the so-called "kit") from 50ccs to 70ccs, and then remove the waste gases more efficiently through a less restrictive exhaust system (like the Leo Venice SP3 you saw on the the Scooter West site). You can do this in stages. For example, you might try just the Leo Venice SP3 and a carb rejetting and a different variator roller weight set and see how you like that. If you don't get the love that you desire from that, you could go the next step and put a 70cc kit on. (Somebody somewhere is going to say that you should do this before the exhaust. I don't know, that's why I suggest you talk to the experts). Up to this point, you will have been rejetting the stock 12mm carb. At this point, the next step is to replace the carb with a larger one (17.5mm or the 19mm one ScooterWest sells.) which will move yet more fuel charge into the cylinder. If you're thinking about changing carbs, be sure to ask hard questions first, like "Will my auto-choke work with this carb?" And "Do I have to cut up my underseat storage box to fit this carb?"

Making these changes to your ET2's motor will change its power delivery characteristics, and you'll have to change your variator weights to tune the power delivery to the type of riding you mostly do. Think of it this way, one set of weights will deliver faster accleration but maybe take away a little bit of top speed. Another set of weights will take away a little accleration but deliver more top speed.

Hope I haven't frightened you with all this. By all means, if you can afford it, go for the pipe and the kit and new variator weights (or a Malossi "Multivar"). Keep careful notes on what you like and what you don't and why, and then YOU can be OUR expert on this topic.

P.S. You might also try e-mailing that Troy guy who started that thread and see if he's still happy with what he did. "Was it reliable?", is a question I would ask up front.

Hope this helps. And good luck.

Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:08 am quote
here's what i'd run:

70cc malossi kit, upjet the stock carb, and a leo vince pipe.
upgrade the stock belt to the malossi, polini, athena, etc.

if you wanna get a little more into it you can add a variator kit, bigger carb and better air filter, upgear kit, a crazy expansion chamber pipe, tune the clutch, and on and on and on.

the good part about starting with a 70 kit and a mild pipe is that you can run it with stock components and make it reliable. and then down the road you can up the ante with some better components.

personally, i like the malossi products but polini makes some good stuff too.

when you're ready to pull the trigger call up max or alex at motorsport scooters and they'll tighten you up with the goods ya need.

best,
-greasy
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:56 am quote
Thanks guys for the help.

I plan to get her running a wee bit faster over the summer prob with the sito+, 70cc malossi, and belt. What does jetting a carb do, how is it done, who would do it? What would be the difference between jetting the stock or upgrading to a 17mm carb? I'm correct in understanding a 17mm carb won't disrupt the bike correct, ie auto choke?

whats a variator kit?
With 70cc and a larger carb what weight rollers would produce a even powerband with slight attention to accel? I wouldn't want to do wheelies and I don't need to go 70mph after an hour of getting up to speed. Something similar to the stock performance only adjusted for the new power output?

Sorry for asking so many annoying newbie questions, I'd just like to put some money into my scooter; but don't know too much about the internal workings.
Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:59 am quote
I think you're best to trade it for an ET4...All those mods willl add up to a LOT of $$$$$
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:01 am quote
I don't pay for inspection, my insurance is lower, my registration is lower, I don't have to pay for a 2-wheel license. Over-all its much cheaper with a ET2 especially on this island.
Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:14 am quote
Ah,I see.. Well in that case,go for it!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:19 am quote
John,

Thanks for the link to that ET2 thread on the bbs, great discussion there.

Len
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2670s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0639s) ][ Debug on ]