Parts for GTS250 rear wheel removal
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:29 pm quote
I need to replace my rear tire, and I've decided to try to take the wheel off myself to then take to a shop like CycleGear to change. I've looked at a few articles on MV and a few Youtube videos but I want to make sure I get all the correct tools and parts ready before I attempt this.

Other than a socket set and typical screwdriver tools, will I need a breaker bar?

What size cotter pin will I need for replacement? And will I need an exhaust gasket replacement if I remove the muffler? If so, where can I purchase this?
Enthusiast
2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 pm quote
xtine wrote:
I need to replace my rear tire, and I've decided to try to take the wheel off myself to then take to a shop like CycleGear to change. I've looked at a few articles on MV and a few Youtube videos but I want to make sure I get all the correct tools and parts ready before I attempt this.

Other than a socket set and typical screwdriver tools, will I need a breaker bar?

What size cotter pin will I need for replacement? And will I need an exhaust gasket replacement if I remove the muffler? If so, where can I purchase this?
It can be done but at the least Id be using a longer handled 1/2 drive ratchet if I was doing it without my impact. Id say youll want either a breaker bar or an extension (like an old pipe) to increase the length.

Ive taken my exhaust off many times on many bikes and never once fooled with a gasket. Maybe luck. As for the cotter pin bring the old one with you to the tire shop and see if they have one. Otherwise stop at an auto parts on the way home
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm quote
highly recommend you go thru this process with someone who has done it a few times FIRST before trying on your own.

the swing arm can be a bit tricky and stubborn to get off as well.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:12 pm quote
Re: Parts for GTS250 rear wheel removal
xtine wrote:
And will I need an exhaust gasket replacement if I remove the muffler? If so, where can I purchase this?
As already noted, you may be able to successfully reuse your gasket...just be very careful to align the pipe as you reinstall the exhaust. I just did mine 3 times due to some glitches, and the old one is still good. Probably don't need a spreader tool to reinstall, but if you use a new one, they're handy.

You can pick up a gasket at a dealer, but there is a good discussion and several sources for gaskets on this recent thread:

In Daytona, exhaust bushing...out!

It's not a bad idea to have one on hand, as they can blow out at the most inopportune times...maybe not abruptly, but can't predict. You'll likely need one eventually, so if you're lucky enough to reuse the old one, it's no loss.

BTW, if you have fairly good mechanical skills, the whole job usually isn't all that hard, just leave extra time.

Protip: Be absolutely sure of location of spacer/washer placement on the axle when disassembling. It only works well one way....ask me how I know.
2008 GTS 250
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm quote
FYI cycle gear probably cant/wont do it. I bought my tire from them only to find out they cant mount something so small.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:55 pm quote
Changing the exhaust gasket when you remove the pipe is usually a good idea. As you can see, some people don't, and it works out, other people do, and it doesn't work out. So it's good to have one.
Another issue that might come up, if the wheel has been on the scooter for a long time, is that the swingarm bearing might not come right off the axle. A lot of times people don't put grease on the axle, or even if they do, the swingarm bearing is locked on. There are pullers that can help pop the swingarm off the axle. Scooterwest has an excellent one. Before you start, you might be well served to find someone, probably on this forum, who has one and would lend it to you if the need arises.

This thing comes in handy a lot. If you don't have one, find someone who does. https://www.scooterwest.com/gt-gts-swing-arm-shock-mount-puller-toolsap.html

Don't take the air out of the tire until you get the swingarm off. That can be a stop and regroup moment, and you might need to put it back together until you can get the tool to unfreeze the bearing on the swingarm from the axle. Once you know the swingarm will come off the axle, the rest is easy peasy.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 pm quote
Some people have successfully reused the exhaust gasket, other didn't work out so well. You could order a new one and use if you fail to reuse the old one. Others, just keep it around for next time.

Also, the exhuast gasket goes inside the engine end of the exhaust which is clamped closed. You will likely need to spread the exhaust fingers. You'll see when you watch the scooterwest video below. Scooterwest also sells the tool, about $20

My favorite Vespa maintenance YouTube stars and Mitch MicBergsma and Robot at Scooterwest. Mitch MicBergsma videos are all without sound because he has speech disabilities. Despite that he has an amazing ability to communicate.

MicBersgma: He has another video for reinstalling.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvFcNRFEuM

Muffler video from Scooterwest:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBmQealrX8M

The other video from these two sources are excellent as well. They are often the first place I look for help.

Best
Miguel
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm quote
Cotter pin and exhaust expander tool can be bought at places like Harbor Freight.
Cotter pins
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=cotter%20pin

Exhaust expander tool
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=exhaust%20pipe%20expander
You want the medium one.
If you lived in NYC or near, I would be more than happy to lend you my tools.

For a breaker bar you could use an emt half inch pipe as a extender on the ratchet & use it to break the bolts loose with.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-10-ft-Electric-Metallic-Tube-EMT-Conduit-853428/100400405
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 pm quote
raceratb wrote:
FYI cycle gear probably cant/wont do it. I bought my tire from them only to find out they cant mount something so small.
If CycleGear can't do it, what would be a recommended place in LA for a tire change?
Hooked
'07 Vespa 250 IE;'13 BMW F700GS; 87 Elite 80
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 am quote
I'm interested in how this turned out .
I recently replaced my rear tire. the easy part was removing the wheel.
Getting the old tire off was a *itch. I ended up cutting it off.
Getting the new tire on was even worse.
I used a spin balancer from harbor frieght to balance the wheel and it worked ok.
Lots of motorcycle repair shops wont do scooter tires. I called the Harley shop and they told me to leave it by the side of the road and just buy a new Harley.
The Vespa dealer in Sherman Oaks should be able to mount and balance a tire.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am quote
Leaking Lewis wrote:
I called the Harley shop and they told me to leave it by the side of the road and just buy a new Harley.
Well, that was rude....
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 pm quote
You could go to any motorcycle repair store that sells scooters. Most places want you to buy the tire from them so that are making some money besides the tire mounting.

Cycle Gear did my 14 inch rear tire. I don't know if they do smaller sizes than that but I assume they would. Not all Cycle Gear stores mount tires. You can look up which ones do on their website, then call the store to see if they do smaller sizes.

Places to go: Vespa Sherman Oaks, Bert's Mega Mall, Vespa Marina Del Rey, etc.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3860s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0740s) ][ Debug on ]