Armored riding gear works, see why I know!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:25 pm quote
I got hit by a car 7 days ago. This thread is about my armored riding gear and how it protected me and some speculation about what would have happened to me if I hadn't been wearing it. Its not about the event or the bike or me. I hope those that are not wearing armored gear will read this and reconsider their practice but your decision is up to you. It was 2 miles from my house.

I've been riding 5 decades as of this year and I've never had an accident. I'm a cautious rider and pretty conservative about the riding risks I take.

It wasn't my fault. The woman who hit me turned suddenly into my lane because it was moving about 15 mph faster. She didn't see me. She was quite apologetic. Her right front fender caught the back of my bike as I was passing her and pushed me over. The situation I ended up in was truly an accident and I'm not sure there's anything I could have done about it in hindsight except not ridden that day.

I started riding with armored gear about 7 yeas ago when a client told me over dinner that the huge scar on his nose was from being hit on his motorcycle. He was wearing an open face helmet and he watched the road surface scrape off his nose. I got a full face modular helmet that Saturday. Over time, I got an armored jacket, gloves, overpants and boots. I was wearing all those when I got hit.

My gear:
- Helmet: Shoei Neotec modular "flip up. I'll get another
- Jacket: Joe Rocket Phoenix Leather mesh
- Gloves: Roland Sands Ace Leather
- Pants: Olympia textile mesh overpants (padding in hips and knees)
- Boots: TCX Hero WP, about 8" tall. Just got them 4 weeks ago

All the gear was damaged. See pictures below. I hit on my left side and rolled a bit. I hit my head but the helmet took the damage.I had no damage to my head or face. If it wasn't a full face, I'd have broken face bones, had a huge gash on my face and likely a lifetime scar and years of recovery. My jacket had a lot of the leather scraped off. It did its job. It protected me. If I was scraping skin instead of leather, I'd likely be missing tendons and muscle and I'd likely never quite recover. My pants had scrapes on the knees but my legs and knees were uninjured. I do have a black and blue right bum cheek but it doesn't hurt. Without the armored pants, I'd likely need knee surgery and and skin grafts. The road would have chewed right through my jeans. My boots are scuffed up but in pretty good shape. My feet didn't feel a thing.

My insurance company will pay for new gear and I'll likely buy virtually the same gear I had. It was worth every penny.

Make up your own mind about your riding gear practice but I wanted to share the experience.

The bike. I hope the bike is repairable but I'm not emotional about it. Its just a bike and I can buy a new one. Progressive Insurance told me if they total my bike, I can keep it. We'll see.

Best
Miguel

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 6.53.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 6.54.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 6.55.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 6.55.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 6.55.47 PM.png

Last edited by Miguel on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Evil
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:39 pm quote
Ouch! Thanks for the thoughtful and informative post. I am very glad you are OK!
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm quote
I am old and have NO bounce left, so I wear my gear, it’s very rare that I will even go a couple blocks in my small town without my gear on and properly fastened. It can be cooking hot and I will be wearing my gear, sweating while putting it on or taking it off, but once I get moving, even slowly, it’s all good. I don’t like seeing people with no helmet, no gloves, no jackets, flip flops or sandals on gals riding pillion but it’s Illinois and they are adults snd have a right to do what they want but I sure hate to see little kids in front or behind anything with 2 wheels that goes zipping up the street. Kids don’t know the problems of bikes and accidents and are not the ones making a choice that might change their lives or end their lives.
Hooked
No scoot at the moment, but thinking GTS 300, 2017 V-Strom 650
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:41 pm quote
@Miguel
I'm very pleased to read that you are OK after this event. For this community, you've taken a terrible situation and pulled many good things out of it; experience, reflection and very good advice (and respectfully put).

Roads are hard and rough; skin and exposed body parts are soft and easily eroded. As others have said, 'if you like solid food, wear a full face helment'. I too wear a Neotec. Neo II now.

@maggiegirl,

You said it; I don't bounce the way I used to. Now I break. I understand the allure of cool, fashionable exposure, but it makes me cringe. One short slide....
Addicted
Yamaha Tricity 155 2018 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 pm quote
@Miguel
I am really sorry to read these lines of your misadventure but they serve as a warning, unfortunately the scooter (more than all two-wheeled vehicles) calls for greater freedom even in protective clothing.
Even if i know this, i wear only a pair of cross-country gloves and a jet helmet, followed by Adidas, light jeans and a cotton vest over a T-shirt. My fault...
Here from my areas some (well ... almost half) the typical scooterist rides in slippers (strictly flip-flops), without a helmet (or with a loose helmet), RayBan and ... nothing more; very common to use the phone while driving and even smoking. Equestrian circus stuff!
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 pm quote
wow, glad you are ok.
Your post makes me think about the clothing.
I ride everyday in NYC, generally the fastest speeds ( above 50mph) I get to are on the Brooklyn Bridge or some highways that i may stay on for a few miles.
But I dont wear any armor/boots/gloves etc. Have a open face helmet
But this post makes me think, maybe I should change this stupid practice, though i dont see any vespa riders wearing stuff here in NYC.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:19 pm quote
Thank you Miguel, When I ride to work, only 7 blocks from home I only wear a Vespa Open face helmet, boots or shoes with rubber sole and gloves with my regular working clothing, your post got me thinking I should at least wear my fullface helmet plus my riding jacket.
Very glad that you are okay.

Last edited by ValVitola on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
MP3-400 + Honda NT650V Deauville
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:54 pm quote
That's an "Ouch!".

Thank goodness you're okay and you'll be back riding soon.

And your gear did what it is designed to do... sacrifice itself for you.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 am quote
Miguel wrote:
I hit my head but the helmet took the damage.I had no damage to my head or face. If it wasn't a full face, I'd have broken face bones, had a huge gash on my face and likely a lifetime scar and years of recovery.
Sorry to hear about your accident Miguel. That certainly looks like a nasty scratch on your helmet though I suspect your boots just need a polish. What was wrong with the gloves?
GTS 300
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 am quote
OUCH !!
Sorry to hear about your get off. Glad you are not seriously injured. You are now living proof that Toreador Pants works.

We all get a bit complacent about gear at times, I'm as guilty as the next rider. We all know better but we all make that mistake.

I'm just getting back into riding after a 3.5 year time away. Not by choice mind you.

So I'm searching everyday for new gear, crikey it's gotten even more expensive, but good gear cost only a little more over time.

Mend fast and good on ya for posting this so clearly and taking responsibility for your well being.
GTS 300
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 am quote
Toreador pants ??
No idea where that word came from.
Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:27 am quote
Echoing the "glad you are OK" sentiment! Hopefully the driver's insurance doesn't jerk you around too much.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 am quote
Biffa
Right ! Where are my shorts and flip flops ?

Well done that man.

A good decision if ever there was one.

Let's see the bike please.

Ride safe.

Bill x
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 am quote
Too many of these threads right now. One with gear one unfortunately without, and the one without not by choice but by the actions of some third party a-hole.

Great reminder to wear it all even if you are sweatin' your...
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 am quote
Zoinks!!

Really glad you are ok, and pleased to hear that that status is due to your intelligence and forethought.

Heard a moto zooming down our little street last night at a little past 9 PM, just at dusk...10 mph over the speed limit, shorts, tshirt, no helmet....
Hooked
Primavera 150
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 am quote
The gear didn't help me last time I went down. Oh, it saved me from scraping stuff up, but when I hit the ground I broke stuff (6 ribs and a collarbone). If I were young, I would've bounced. Old bones just break.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 am quote
Whew, glad you're okay. If you've gotta crash, nice to do it without regrets. For some reason, the past few days, the local radio station has been announcing some local research to the effect of 78% of motorcycle fatalities were not wearing helmets. Can argue that many may have died anyway, but wonder if they had a chance at a replay, they might reconsider the choice.

In this hot weather here, I once again question why I gear up just to ride to work, especially when most of the other PTW riders are in shorts and or T-shirts.

Yes...photos of the scooter?
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am quote
Hi Miguel,

Similar crash 11 years ago with a similar result - banged-up, scraped-up gear - body not so bad.

I had a minor off the year before which convinced me to always completely gear up. I'm very glad I did.

As always, I recognize everyone's right to make their own choices. Your post might help those choices to be more informed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 am quote
baba12 wrote:
wow, glad you are ok.
Your post makes me think about the clothing.
I ride everyday in NYC, generally the fastest speeds ( above 50mph) I get to are on the Brooklyn Bridge or some highways that i may stay on for a few miles.
But I dont wear any armor/boots/gloves etc. Have a open face helmet
But this post makes me think, maybe I should change this stupid practice, though i dont see any vespa riders wearing stuff here in NYC.
Toronto is exactly the same. I live here but am pretty familiar with NYC and pretty much the cities have a similar vibe. I'll admit sometimes I feel silly gearing up but I get over it. Nothing fancy but do try and wear a FF, gloves and mesh jacket even on the hot days. Shorts are very rare and maybe twice a year and just if I'm running up to the store. I'm also guilty of gearing up less for the Vespa than the much bigger BMW even though the fall is the same.

Glad in this case the gear saved what could have been much worse. The obvious hero here is the FF helmet.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:23 am quote
Retire
Puts the open face back on the shelf.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am quote
Miguel, so sorry to hear that you had an accident, but glad you are mostly OK!

Thanks for sharing this. I do wear protective gear already, but it's good to be reminded why.

All the best, ride safe!
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm quote
Thanks for all well wishing replies. I'll reply to a sample posts about wearing gear. It is the real hero in this event.
Quote:
But I dont wear any armor/boots/gloves etc. Have a open face helmet. But this post makes me think, maybe I should change this stupid practice, though i dont see any vespa riders wearing stuff here in NYC.
I'm not sure anyone really cares what someone wears when riding a scooter or motorcycle.
Quote:
When I ride [to] work, only 7 blocks from home I only wear a Vespa Open face helmet, boots or shoes with rubber sole and gloves with my regular working clothing, your post got me thinking I should at least wear my fullface helmet plus my riding jacket.
Hope you all do follow through. THere's no one telling you must wear riding gear. Its up to you. It does take discipline but you get used to it. I never ride without all the gear anymore. If its a short trip, I'll just take the car.

There was a post years ago, by Trepp I think, that said, "Your riding skills keep you out of trouble on the road. You riding gear takes over when your skills fail you." I'm just the latest person to prove that proverb.
Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 pm quote
I do have one question. Like everyone that gets hit, you question how you might have avoided getting hit.

Here's the scenario. See the picture below
I was in the middle lane traveling at about 25 mph and had a clear lane in front of me. The woman that hit me was in the left lane which was jammed and traveling about 10 mph. She pulled out in front of me at about a 30 degree angle, I believe to get into the clear lane. She hit me with her front bumper. I'm sure she didn't see me till after she hit me.

What really bothers me about this is that this is a rather common traffic situation everywhere. And I can't figure out how I could have avoided being hit. And more importantly, how I can avoid it in the future.

Comments?

Best
Miguel

IMG_0027.jpeg

Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2012 GTV 300 Espresso, 1956 VL3
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 pm quote
Good to hear you’re alright. I’ve been through it.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 pm quote
Quote:
And I can't figure out how I could have avoided being hit. And more importantly, how I can avoid it in the future.
If, as you said, her right front fender hit the rear of your scooter as you passed her, there’s nothing you could’ve done to avoid that. She essentially rear ended you. If she had her signal on, you might’ve been able to anticipate that she was trying to enter your lane, and slow down or stay clear of her. If not, it was just bad luck. Glad you’re OK.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am quote
Miguel wrote:
What really bothers me about this is that this is a rather common traffic situation everywhere. And I can't figure out how I could have avoided being hit. And more importantly, how I can avoid it in the future.

Comments?

Best
Miguel
Looking at your yellow Shoei, you've already done the visibility part. If a driver won't see that, then she won't see the rest of you either.

I have no doupts you've done the being alert part too. There'a limit what one can anticipate and this sounds like one of those cases - a true accident, as you called it.

The side rear visibility is a major challenge in cars. I'm a mindfull driver myself, won't change a lane before both checking the mirrors and turning my neck to look to the immediate side view. Contrary to the 80% of fellow drivers around here, I'll even turn my signal on before I'll make a move, not during the move.

Still, I have one particularly challenging spot along my daily commuting route. My road joins into another with that annoying angle that sets my car in the worst possible blind spot location to the left rear, in this case. Already this year I've had two "close calls"... and during the two years I've used this route, once a collision was avoided just by heavy breaking and steering of the other party - to which I would have driven into, regardless of my way of using both the mirrors and a side glance.

My car doesn't have any side collision warning systems, but those would be high on my list if I were to change to a new car. Don't know how well they work against 2-wheelers, but cars they detect nicely as I've witnessed with rental cars having those.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 am quote
Miguel wrote:

Comments?

Best
Miguel
When I'm in traffic like that, I ride on the far side of the lane from where the traffic is.
Hooked
Primavera 150
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Comments?

Best
Miguel
When I'm in traffic like that, I ride on the far side of the lane from where the traffic is.
And the car ahead and to the left (in this case) can't see you. If you are not close to the traffic lane, you are not in their rear view mirror. The lane looks empty.

There is usually always something a rider could've done to avoid an accident. I've learned to accept that it is always my fault.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:39 am quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Comments?

Best
Miguel
And the car ahead and to the left (in this case) can't see you. If you are not close to the traffic lane, you are not in their rear view mirror. The lane looks empty.

There is usually always something a rider could've done to avoid an accident. I've learned to accept that it is always my fault.
Joe. Anything specific you would do to avoid getting hit? I'm not trying to assign blame.
Miguel
Hooked
Primavera 150
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Joe. Anything specific you would do to avoid getting hit? I'm not trying to assign blame.
Miguel
In this case, you have to be extremely mindful of blind spots. I've actually pulled closer to a car so that they can see me in their mirrors. It's counter-intuitive - you instinctively want to get away from cars.

The best way to avoid getting hit is to stay off the freeway. There is just too much going on when traffic is heavy.
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:09 am quote
Glad you are ok. Visibility is everything, and it was already said that if she didn't see that helmet, she wouldn't have seen you anyway.

Something I've noticed since I started riding a 50cc is that people - even when they see you - are just jerks.

I was wearing the GoPro this morning on my way to work and I recorded TWICE someone passing me in the left turn lane. The first time I was actually 10 over the 25mph speed limit already and the woman simply couldn't be behind me.

See the red light up ahead? I pulled up right beside her.

When I took driver ed, the instructor was very clear that every single time we got behind the wheel we were manning a 300 pound weapon. People forget.

You have really made me think twice about my open face helmet.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:12 am quote
all the gear all the time.
Hooked
GTS 300
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:20 am quote
Hi Miguel, I wear a Bell Pit Boss Half helmet because only halves fit in the under seat carrier. My hope is to be able to tilt my head to scrape against protected areas.
My gloves and Corozzo jacket are well protected.
Please heal, buy a new HPE and get back to us. I like your xray avatar.

Regards, Ralph
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
My hope is to be able to tilt my head to scrape against protected areas.
I'm going to guess that anyone in a crash tries to avoid the front of their head smacking pavement.
It just doesn't work out that way.
2012 LXV150
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 am quote
Miguel, I am glad your gear did its job and that you are all right.
I have been riding only a short while and it didn't take me too long to invest in an armoured jacket, motorcycle gloves and moto-jeans. The rep at the bike shop convinced me to get a full-face helmet when I was shopping for one for my bike course.
A good friend crashed his bicycle at about 5-6 kph and broke his collarbone, bruised his ribs and one leg. Falling off any bike at any speed can be painful.
Hope things work out with your insurance.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am quote
I'm glad you're well enough to recap your accident. Looks like your gear did it's job.

I also wear all my gear, regardless of weather. I had a low speed slide a couple of years ago that would have done significant damage to me if I had not been wearing gear. The chin bar on my Nolan Modular saved my jaw.

I've posted this graphic in the past, but it seems applicable to this discussion. Nearly 35% of the time, a helmet will strike in the front lower area. Add the face shield area, and you're over 40%.

Helmet Impact study.png

Ossessionato
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I'm glad you're well enough to recap your accident. Looks like your gear did it's job.

I also wear all my gear, regardless of weather. I had a low speed slide a couple of years ago that would have done significant damage to me if I had not been wearing gear. The chin bar on my Nolan Modular saved my jaw.

I've posted this graphic in the past, but it seems applicable to this discussion. Nearly 35% of the time, a helmet will strike in the front lower area. Add the face shield area, and you're over 40%.
Thanks Carl, especially for reposting that graphic. I'd seen it before on MV, likely from one of your previous postings.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Comments?

Best
Miguel
+1

I try to allow as much room as possible for a car to move into my lane without hitting me. This is especially true when I am in a faster-moving lane passing a slower-moving lane. People get impatient and just pull out.

That said, it's really hard to protect against someone hitting you as you are already going by them.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 pm quote
People are aholes no way around it. Twice today I almost got hit. first time stopped at red light, old man coming the other direction has his turn signal on and slows down, I assume he's turning since hes slowing down and got the signal on. I start to pull out as the light turns green, he goes straight. I'm barely started and slam on brakes to avoid him. He stops and yells at me so I scream at him that he's got his blinker on. He looks down realizes he's got his blinker on turns it off and says sorry as he barges past me. Second time on the highway im going 50 in a really long straight off-ramp with a sharp turn way at the end. I dont see anyone in mirrors behind me but im not turning cause its a straight shot with curve about 300 yards away. Little did I know an ahole cab driver is in my blind spot driving in the brake down lane and flies by me about 1.5 foot away from me. I get to the light after the curve and scream at the woman for being as ahole driver. She laughs and drives away.

Two instances, one oblivious, the other intentional. People don't care about you on your PTW. Even when you are doing your best to be careful, some dumbass is gonna change your life if they so choose.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm quote
Excellent post Miguel, thank you.

When I was commuting I always wore full gear. Now that I am retired I often ride in jeans and street shoes, with my modular shield open.

I need to change that. Kevlar jeans would be a good start.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3477s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0684s) ][ Debug on ]