Armored riding gear works, see why I know!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 pm quote
I thought there was actually a rule against posting about helmet preference on the forum but then perhaps not. Many longer term riders who wear open face helmets get a bit tired of being lectured to by riders with only a few thousand miles under their belts. I think the answer really depends on whether you're the sort of person that falls flat on their face when they fall. Me, I nearly always ride with an open face. I've had about two dozen crashes in my time - some minor, some quite serious. I'm still pretty.

I just like the wind in my face, I like smelling the roses and I like having the occasional chat with drivers/riders that piss me off.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 am quote
robinm wrote:
I thought there was actually a rule against posting about helmet preference on the forum but then perhaps not. Many longer term riders who wear open face helmets get a bit tired of being lectured to by riders with only a few thousand miles under their belts. I think the answer really depends on whether you're the sort of person that falls flat on their face when they fall. Me, I nearly always ride with an open face. I've had about two dozen crashes in my time - some minor, some quite serious. I'm still pretty.

I just like the wind in my face, I like smelling the roses and I like having the occasional chat with drivers/riders that piss me off.
no-one has lectured you about your helmet preference, but a few years ago, there was a new rider who had a bad off, who would probably have benefited from some comments about the 'possible' perils of the open face helmet compared to a full face.
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:13 am quote
Accidents happen in seconds or Mila-seconds, you don’t often have time to plan how your head will contact anything, or just how to slide to avoid breaking bones. And for bike riders, far more often they are instant. And often with no warning. I was watching oncoming traffic for a passing opening cuz the vehicle behind me was riding my bumper and I wanted them able to pass asap. Road goes from 2 lanes to 1 fast, I was in the left lane at the light, so from that narrowing I was watching for their chance to get around me. That is Why I saw that white car pull into my lane and knew traffic was moving too fast, he could not pass and get back into his lane and would hit me, that gave me time to know if I went off the right side I would probably roll the truck with my 2 passengers getting the brunt of that, and to flash the brake lights before locking them down and 55 feet of skid marks. Time to say ‘we are in a shit load of trouble’ and that’s where my memory ends... I would not have had that on a bike but I might have not been hit either, far smaller target, or might have been hit by the oncoming car and the vehicle behind me...
There’s usually no time to think and plan how to land better in an accident. And often no warning, I admit to that more open helmet with full face shield but No lower face protection to snd from work and bopping about my small town but it’s gear for me. At 63 and 3 scooters I need a lot more years to enjoy them.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 am quote
There actually hasn't been a lot of lecturing in this thread which is why it has not been locked down. I like to think we are all adults and capable of risk assessment.

Stats are stats and statistics speak for themselves. The decision is however up to the rider and the laws in the jurisdiction they are riding in.

What I would not be shocked to see one of these days is laws passed with stricter gear required for riding. Seat belts at one time were not considered necessary but now people even put them on in the back seat.
Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am quote
Do you know if her car had blind spot indicators? I think that is one of the best tech improvements on modern cars.

I guess it is also logical to further ask, "does a car "see" a motorcycle in the blind spot?"
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 am quote
Spuds wrote:
Do you know if her car had blind spot indicators? I think that is one of the best tech improvements on modern cars.

I guess it is also logical to further ask, "does a car "see" a motorcycle in the blind spot?"
They seem to. I like to play around with them a bit sometime in traffic and indeed the indicators seem to come on when I move in to the blind spot.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 am quote
Spuds wrote:

I have seen the little yellow lights turn on when I get in a car's blind spot while riding. Can't speak to whether it always works, but it certainly sometimes works.
Hooked
PX 150
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 am quote
I have had a similar accident but I was in my SUV. My middle lane was moving and the lane next to me was stopped, and a guy suddenly pulled out and I hit his side door. The only thing you might have done is to switch to the right lane. it is always high risk driving or riding at a decent speed when the lane next to you is stopped. Also, always ride with your high beam on. Glad you are not hurt worse.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Miguel wrote:
What really bothers me about this is that this is a rather common traffic situation everywhere. And I can't figure out how I could have avoided being hit. And more importantly, how I can avoid it in the future.

Comments?

Best
Miguel
When I'm in traffic like that, I ride on the far side of the lane from where the traffic is.
+1

I try to allow as much room as possible for a car to move into my lane without hitting me. This is especially true when I am in a faster-moving lane passing a slower-moving lane. People get impatient and just pull out.

That said, it's really hard to protect against someone hitting you as you are already going by them.
I was riding in the right side of the the lane but it all happened too quick to really do much. I'd just gotten on the freeway about 500 feet earlier and the next exit was another 500 feet on and I'd considered just getting off and doing my errand the next day. But BLAM, I got hit. Its a good point Michael about being especially cautious about traffic slow in one lane and fast in mine.

Miguel
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:37 pm quote
I posted about my insurance settlement here so it might get a wider reading than this thread. I was amazed at how good my experience was.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm quote
Eeek. Thanks for sharing a bad story that could easily have been an even worse story. You are right - this is a very common scenario. Worst yet, I have no idea how it could have been avoided.

On the up side, you lived to ride another day. And it looks like your insurance is doing right by you, too. Stay safe, friend!
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Miguel wrote:
What really bothers me about this is that this is a rather common traffic situation everywhere. And I can't figure out how I could have avoided being hit. And more importantly, how I can avoid it in the future.

Comments?

Best
Miguel
When I'm in traffic like that, I ride on the far side of the lane from where the traffic is.
+1

I try to allow as much room as possible for a car to move into my lane without hitting me. This is especially true when I am in a faster-moving lane passing a slower-moving lane. People get impatient and just pull out.

That said, it's really hard to protect against someone hitting you as you are already going by them.
I was riding in the right side of the the lane but it all happened too quick to really do much. I'd just gotten on the freeway about 500 feet earlier and the next exit was another 500 feet on and I'd considered just getting off and doing my errand the next day. But BLAM, I got hit. Its a good point Michael about being especially cautious about traffic slow in one lane and fast in mine.

Miguel
I was splitting between the HOV lane and the "fast" lane. Traffic was almost at a standstill, but poking along. A guy in the "fast" lane suddenly pulled in front of me. I guess he saw an opening in the HOV lane and wanted to grab it. BTW, he crossed a double yellow line to do this.

I managed to stop just before crashing into his door. He was surprised to say the least. It's a good thing I was riding slowly enough to stop in time, so no one was hurt. If I had been one of my much faster compadres the driver would have had a helmet-first rider smashing though his side window and into his head.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:18 pm quote
Miguel: Damn, man, I'm seriously happy you got off relatively easy with this one.

My ride yesterday (already chronicled here) had me thinking about lots of stuff along the way, among them the fact that while I don't adhere to the All That Gear edict on rides under one mile in these parts, I don't fool around on the longer ones: short of armored pants (soon to be procured), I ride prepared. Never considered anything other than a FF helmet, and wear the right gloves even if I'm t-shirting it to the supermarket. If you're riding in inclement weather, nothing other than a FF helmet makes any sense, from both a safety and comfort standpoint (which, in adverse circumstances, are interconnected). I now have not one, but three armored riding jackets for everything from frosty to near-tropical temps, and decent footwear to, ahem, boot. These thoughts came to the fore yesterday when, while overtaking a slow truck at roughly 50 mph, someone in a pickup decided to overtake me at the same time, with only two lanes to play with. Thankfully, that driver was smooth in his passing. (It seriously helped that this stretch had wide shoulders on either side.) You can be the most "woke" rider in your environs, but sometimes that won't count for much.

Hope you heal up fast; also hope the damage report on your ride is minimal, even though that's the less-important bit.

Last edited by amateriat on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
Miguel: Damn, man, I'm seriously happy you got off relatively easy with this one.

My ride yesterday (already chronicled here) had me thinking about lots of stuff along the way, among them the fact that while I don't adhere to the All That Gear edict on rides under one mile in these parts (I was 1.5 miles from my house and on very familiar roads), I don't fool around on the longer ones: short of armored pants (soon to be procured), I ride prepared. Never considered anything other than a FF helmet, and wear the right gloves even if I'm t-shirting it to the supermarket.Personally I take the cage for short runs to the market, takes too much time to put on the gear. If you're riding in inclement weather, nothing other than a FF helmet makes any sense, from both a safety and comfort standpoint (which, in adverse circumstances, are interconnected). I now have not one, but three armored riding jackets for everything from frosty to near-tropical temps (me too), and decent footwear to, ahem, boot Good. These thoughts came to the fore yesterday when, while overtaking a slow truck at roughly 50 mph, someone in a pickup decided to overtake me at the same time, with only two lanes to play with. Thankfully, that driver was smooth in his passing. (It seriously helped that this stretch had wide shoulders on with side.) You can be the most "woke" rider in your environs, but sometimes that won't count for much. Yup!

Hope you heal up fast; also hope the damage report on your ride is minimal, even though that's the less-important bit.
Thanks. I'm about 80% recovered. I have been riding but I sorta lost my confidence and have been riding REALLY cautiously.

Regarding the gear, all my gear was damaged to some degree. That means that each item played a role in protecting me. As I examined my mesh riding pants, they were the third-most damaged article behind my helmet and leather jacket.

I have already purchased a new helmet (Shoei Neotec 2 Excursion in hi-viz/blk - see below) which is the latest version of my now defunct, 4 yo, screaming-yellow Shoei Neotec 1. I paid extra for the Excurtion because it was the only Neotec that comes in hi-viz. I'm on the hunt for a new armored mesh jacket and pants. I really liked the Joe Rocket Phoenix that is now destroyed and I can't find it anywhere. I'm not that fond of the latest Phoenix 5 jacket because of all the logos, it screams "MOTORCYLE!" While the pants are beat up with a few holes, scuff marks and dirt, they are still usable so I will wear them till I decide what to replace them with.The gloves and boots are not bad. Surprisingly, the insurance company paid me the list price of each item.

Like most people, I acquired my riding gear over time and only getting the last article 5 years or so ago. Turns out, the mesh riding pants were the last item I bought. Glad I did.

Best
Miguel

shoei_neotec2_excursion_helmet_750x750.jpg
Shoei Neotec 2 Excursion edition. I wish they made a version in all hi-vi.

Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 am quote
Take a look at TourMaster and Cortech for pants and jackets (owned by the same company).

The Cortech line is a bit sportier and tailored for a trim fit. The Tourmaster line is cut a bit more generously to accommodate riders with additional mass.

Both of these lines are well made and hold up very well. Additionally, the jackets and pants come with zippers to attach them together. This prevents the jacket from riding up your back...which improves comfort while riding and eliminates the chance your back would become exposed during a slide.
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 am quote
Thanks Crazy. I've been looking at the Cortech and virtually every other option I can find. I really want a hybrid leather mesh in hi viz yellow/green which I haven't found yet. I've been cruising Revezilla and Cyclegear. I'm also considering just getting a perforated leather jacket and a hi viz vest that I'll take off when I'm taking a break on a ride.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm quote
Very little of my gear is hi-viz, but nearly everything has reflective piping/striping of some kind. This is also why I kept the reflectors on Melody.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm quote
thanks for sharing...this is an important lesson for me...

ever since i switched from sportbikes to 50ccs i have gotten lazy with wearing gear....unless its cold i have only worn a helmet..and halfhelmet at that...

25mph isnt that fast yet you could have been a lot worse off had you been wearing what i wear :/
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:50 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
Very little of my gear is hi-viz, but nearly everything has reflective piping/striping of some kind. This is also why I kept the reflectors on Melody.
Amateriat: It was 1 PM and sunny when I got hit. Pipping and reflectors don't help much during the day. I was wearing a bright yellow helmet on top of a black jacket tho but that didn't help. Armored gear was the only reason I survived pretty much unscathed. The only thing that hurt was bouncing off the road. That injury is pretty much gone now.

Cheers.
Miguel
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm quote
jixaw wrote:
thanks for sharing...this is an important lesson for me...

ever since i switched from sportbikes to 50ccs i have gotten lazy with wearing gear....unless its cold i have only worn a helmet..and halfhelmet at that...

25mph isnt that fast yet you could have been a lot worse off had you been wearing what i wear :/
I was only going about 25 mph when I got hit!!

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
amateriat wrote:
Amateriat: It was 1 PM and sunny when I got hit. Pipping and reflectors don't help much during the day. I was wearing a bright yellow helmet on top of a black jacket tho but that didn't help. Armored gear was the only reason I survived pretty much unscathed. The only thing that hurt was bouncing off the road. That injury is pretty much gone now.

Cheers.
Miguel
Gotcha. The sad truth is that some people won't take notice of us unless we rode in a suit of (preferably flashing) lights, which is both puzzling and infuriating. And I can't begin to count the number of motorists I still catch playing with their phones while in motion (including Le Wife, whom I've gently tried to wean from such behavior). We're both of a mind about armor, though, when all else fails.
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
Miguel wrote:
amateriat wrote:

Cheers.
Miguel
Gotcha. The sad truth is that some people won't take notice of us unless we rode in a suit of (preferably flashing) lights, which is both puzzling and infuriating. And I can't begin to count the number of motorists I still catch playing with their phones while in motion (including Le Wife, whom I've gently tried to wean from such behavior). We're both of a mind about armor, though, when all else fails.
You are a night owl. You are often posting after midnight.
Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 am quote
I'm so glad to see you emerge from such an accident with only bumps and bruises. An off by a car hit at 25 mph - wow! Good habits on the full safety gear obviously paid off. I'm not so disciplined, I usually wear Hi-Viz colors though, and do ride with a headlight modulator on, so if you did look at all, it would be hard to claim you didn't "see me" or notice me at some point.

Beyond the real world riding gear reminder of your post, we can only presume the at fault driver didn't safely or courtesly indicate their intentions in advance and nose out slowly, or have a turn directional on, otherwise you would have seen it. The driver who hit you was clearly reckless and should have been cited for multiple violations at the scene. I don't buy the lame excuse "I didn't see you". Way to often people just "dart" out of slower lanes. I fear that scenario every time it appears, whether on my scooter or in my car. You just know some impatient, selfish jerk is going to fail to signal and turn the wheel out, and step on gas. The fact that they're in a slower or stopped lane also increases the chances they looking at their phones, texting, or otherwise driving distracted. If I'm on my scooter I assume every one of those adjacent slow lane cars will make a reckless move into me, and usually will slow way down next to such a lane, and move to the far opposite edge of my lane too.

I hope your recovery is quick and your riding confidence returns in full.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 am quote
Miguel wrote:
I was only going about 25 mph when I got hit!!
Depending in impact, you can die at a far lower speed....
amateriat wrote:
Gotcha. The sad truth is that some people won't take notice of us unless we rode in a suit of (preferably flashing) lights, which is both puzzling and infuriating.
There's no "unless" for a lot of people if you take note of all of the collisions with emergency vehicles WITH flashing lights, reflectors, etc.
Hooked
Vespa Primavera 150

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 am quote
Accident Waiting to Happen
Thank you for the excellent post Miguel. Vespa advertises its scooters with glossy pictures of people wearing no gear or minimal gear (such as a helmet) and I think that contributes to the problem. On hot and humid days where I am running to the store on slow side streets, I forego my armour. I wear a 3/4 helmet in hot weather. I think manufacturers also have to make better full face helmets for hot weather riding. I wear a full face helmet when it gets cool and always feel safer. But in extraordinarily hot weather, it is no longer as fun to ride with all of the gear to pick up a few groceries. Of course our lives, safety and bodies are worth more than our comfort (and we make our own choices) but this is an opportunity to produce gear that puts safety and comfort first. You made a choice that saved your body from a terrible ordeal. I have nothing but respect for you. I can only suggest avoiding the centre lane at all costs. But you did nothing wrong and it truly was an accident.
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 pm quote
Re: Accident Waiting to Happen
lmctdot wrote:
Thank you for the excellent post Miguel. Vespa advertises its scooters with glossy pictures of people wearing no gear or minimal gear (such as a helmet) and I think that contributes to the problem. On hot and humid days where I am running to the store on slow side streets, I forego my armour. I wear a 3/4 helmet in hot weather. I think manufacturers also have to make better full face helmets for hot weather riding. I wear a full face helmet when it gets cool and always feel safer. But in extraordinarily hot weather, it is no longer as fun to ride with all of the gear to pick up a few groceries. Of course our lives, safety and bodies are worth more than our comfort (and we make our own choices) but this is an opportunity to produce gear that puts safety and comfort first. You made a choice that saved your body from a terrible ordeal. I have nothing but respect for you. I can only suggest avoiding the centre lane at all costs. But you did nothing wrong and it truly was an accident.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm fully recovered. I've replaced my helmet but not my jacket, pants, boots or gloves yet. They all still function and the signs of the damage is so small and has no impact on their protective features.

Regarding riding in the center lane. In my specific incident, I was really in the right through-lane. The right most lane was a combination onramp/offramp between two closely-spaced onramp/exits.

I've done two things to improve my visibility: I added very bright yellow driving lights and ordered a hi-viz vest. In fact I order 4 to try on. I'll post more in my "HiViz vest" thread, likely tmw.

For short trip to store, I just take the cage rather than put on all the gear. Not as fun but way safer.

ITs good point you raise about Vespa. I've never seen a Vespa add with a FF helmet.

Also, good point on helmet manufacturers and making a more hot weathe-freindly helmet. Maybe they have and I don't know about it.

Best
Miguel
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 am quote
On the power of commercials and the image they give:

I've been glad to notice, that the "modern cool guys" can be cool with the gear too...

like Ewan McGregor in the Moto Guzzi add below

or Norman Reedus in the "Ride with Norman Reedus".

ctaTiger800.jpg
Norman Reedus with his own Tiger.

Molto Verboso
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:17 am quote
[urlhttps://youtu.be/WCsbdN2bP1M

I hope this web address is visible, I tried to get it into the post above, but it just did not work... [/url]
Molto Verboso
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:22 am quote
RRider wrote:

I hope this web address is visible, I tried to get it into the post above, but it just did not work... [/url]
Off the topic: Jeez folks, what's wrong with my URL posting?!

If I leave the closing URL code away, the result is like above.
If I'll use it, the result is not a link, instead it is a line of text with also the URL codes visible at the beginning and the end.

I'm obviously doing something wrong...

I use Firefox on top of Androi 9 so that should not be the issue.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am quote
RRider wrote:
RRider wrote:

Off the topic: Jeez folks, what's wrong with my URL posting?!
You don't have an "=" between the url and the https bit.
You also need a "]" after the web address.
Your link

Actually if it's youtube then you can just post the link directly into your text and then everyone, apart from chrome users, can see the video in the post:
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1760s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0392s) ][ Debug on ]