Some a$$hole tried to steal my plate
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:00 pm quote
Having a chat with the building management in the morning to see if they have video surveillance. We returned home this evening for a five day trip when I noticed the cover of my bike was disheveled. Upon inspection, it appeared that someone had tried to hastily take my licence plate. The frame was broken and bent.

I hate these bastards who do this sort of thing.

59518FAB-F705-43E5-8EED-7D6D854C50FE.jpeg

Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:11 pm quote
I can sympathize with you mate.
I have had 2 plates stolen, I am on my third one now. Luckily in nyc you dont pay for new replacements but you still have file report with the police, take the report and then you goto the DMV & get new different plates.
So it is time wasted for some imbeciles stupidity.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 pm quote
Lucky you are not from the Northwest Territories. It happens to them every time they leave the territory.

But annoying all the same.
Addicted
Yamaha Tricity 155 2018 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:25 pm quote
An act of pure vandalism ... what would they have done with the plate?
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:08 am quote
Attila wrote:
Slapped it on a stolen scooter! And damn sorry it happened
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:02 am quote
maggiegirl wrote:
Attila wrote:
What do they gain by doing that - putting a stolen plate on a stolen scooter? The stolen plate is no 'safer' for them than the original plate...
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:59 am quote
jimc wrote:
maggiegirl wrote:
Attila wrote:
What do they gain by doing that - putting a stolen plate on a stolen scooter? The stolen plate is no 'safer' for them than the original plate...
Just stealing it is rather silly. The owner will notice and report it. However, If they have the plate from the stolen scooter and they swap it with yours you may not notice it for some time. As long as the stolen vehicle is the same make and color as your scooter a police officer randomly running plates won't be suspicious unless he or she actually looks at the VIN which isn't a common thing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:01 am quote
jimc wrote:
maggiegirl wrote:
Attila wrote:
Get a plate that has been reported as stolen yet?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 am quote
I never asked the guy who I caught stealing my plate what he wanted it for. The police officer didn't charge him but said it would be a nice reason to go visit the guys house (den of thieves) unexpectedly.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:09 am quote
Bummer sorry that happened! I guess it beats coming home and finding that the entire scooter is missing or knocked over.

I had someone tip my BMW over in our parking lot and pick it back up. No note or anything. Cost me $1,000 in repairs.
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 am quote
Many times they are stealing the plate in order to get the current registration sticker. They take the entire plate, but then they use tin snips to cut out just the area with the registration sticker. Glue that onto their plate and then they don't have to worry about getting pulled over for expired registration. But if they do get pulled over, it's gonna go sideways because their scam will be discovered.

-Craig
Addicted
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:42 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Many times they are stealing the plate in order to get the current registration sticker. They take the entire plate, but then they use tin snips to cut out just the area with the registration sticker. Glue that onto their plate and then they don't have to worry about getting pulled over for expired registration. But if they do get pulled over, it's gonna go sideways because their scam will be discovered.

-Craig
In Italy the license plate follows the vehicle, for life and without change ... if it becomes illegible it must be changed.

Theft here it can no longer happen, the police have a camera that points to all the plates (of all the vehicles even on the move) and knows immediately if it belongs to them, if it has insurance, if it has done the revision and many other things. The system is also installed in the city in video surveillance cameras.

http://www.targasystem.com/?lang=en

Last edited by Attila on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:49 am quote
Likewise in the UK. Plus, the new style of plates cannot be removed without being destroyed in the process.
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 am quote
Attila wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:

-Craig
In Italy the license plate follows the vehicle, for life and without change ... if it becomes illegible it must be changed.

Theft here it can no longer happen, the police have a camera that points to all the plates (of all the vehicles even on the move) and knows immediately if it belongs to them, if it has insurance, if it has done the revision and many other things. The system is also installed in the city in video surveillance cameras.

http://www.targasystem.com/?lang=en
This kind of technology is starting to find it's way into the USA too. Of course, it's starting in the larger population centers first. License plates are permanent in some states and not it others. It's kind of a pain having to relearn the rules if you move from one state to another. Over time, things have started to become more standardized nationally, but it's a slow moving process and is a bit of a pissing match between Federal and State authorities.

-Craig
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am quote
Canadian crime crisis.
Ossessionato
Piaggio Fly 150
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 am quote
I paid several bucks for a “secure” set of nuts and bolts for my plate, and found I could take it off with my fingers when the nut was started. I went to TORX head bolts (not hard to find) and nyloc lock nuts. That requires a non standard screw driver for the bolt and a wrench for all the turns of the nut. I’ve had these on all my vehicles and never had a problem.*

*Well, once I was trading my car for a Mercedes and the mechanic at the dealership asked me for the “key” to switch the plates, and when I told him it was a TORX he asked me if it was metric. They also sold and serviced Smart cars.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:32 pm quote
Tor2ga wrote:
I paid several bucks for a “secure” set of nuts and bolts for my plate, and found I could take it off with my fingers when the nut was started. I went to TORX head bolts (not hard to find) and nyloc lock nuts. That requires a non standard screw driver for the bolt and a wrench for all the turns of the nut. I’ve had these on all my vehicles and never had a problem.*

*Well, once I was trading my car for a Mercedes and the mechanic at the dealership asked me for the “key” to switch the plates, and when I told him it was a TORX he asked me if it was metric. They also sold and serviced Smart cars.
They sold Smart Cars but maybe they also needed a smart mechanic.
Ossessionato
Piaggio Fly 150
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm quote
EN82pg wrote:
Tor2ga wrote:

They sold Smart Cars but maybe they also needed a smart mechanic.
Ya think?
Molto Verboso
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 pm quote
So here’s the dealio. Our Vespa Dealer extraordinaire, Lou, uses spanner or snake eyes bolts, making it more difficult to steal. The PoS who tried to steal the plate, tried to pry it off the bike, destroying the backing plate and also scratching the lower tail.

We are leaving on our Vespa trip next month so it will just plain take the plate off entirely.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm quote
caschnd1 wrote:

-Craig
I've had someone razor-blade off my registration validation sticker several times over the years. Its a small cost to get a new valid sticker but PITA to get it. Most LEO will only look to see if the month and year are valid. Verifying the sticker number is for the right car is more difficult because the numbers are small and you have to get low to read them.

Best
Miguel
Addicted
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 pm quote
Perhaps the European license plate model works better...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 am quote
Guess what? Just talking to another one of the guys that parks his bike at Peter and Adelaide in Downtown Toronto where I park when I'm at the office. He had a veteran plate and well as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

08096545-BB0B-47BB-8F35-7D4B5FD6184B.jpeg

Addicted
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:20 am quote
I understand the problem but all the mudguards are made of plastic (maybe on the costum no bikes) and the license plate holder is the weak point. Do you take away the license plate? It could be a solution, maybe the only one... ooops ... perhaps on the Ural this problem does not exist, the plaque can be welded anywhere ... it is all iron.
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Guess what? Just talking to another one of the guys that parks his bike at Peter and Adelaide in Downtown Toronto where I park when I'm at the office. He had a veteran plate and well as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Bollox! I ordered the snake-eyes/spanner bit to take my plate off.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 am quote
I gotta say that a "real" mechanic in todays world absolutely knows Torx bits. Somethings missing in that tale?
Some of the answers above as to why they steal plates are smarter than many crooks.
IMO, the winner is the renewal sticker answer. it's all about the money to renew.
I wasn't aware that cops kept track of stolen plates? Cars are a given but also can be driven stolen for years and go undiscovered.
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am quote
I ended up at the Brofasco in Markham to get the ¼" spanner bit and immediately removed my plate while I'm not riding. This is a real p.i.t.a but it may avoid further temptation and damage in exchange for the inconvenience.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4508s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0964s) ][ Debug on ]