Well I wrecked the Stella, not sure what to do now..
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:24 am quote
Full Face or your face is FU$%#d

There is no way around it. The asphalt is exponentially harder and more abrasive than your soft flesh and bones. Harsh but true.
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm quote
That is terrible but thanks for sharing. I am glad there is no brain damage that is what really scares me in a motorcycle wreck. A guy at my work had a traumatic brain injury and became a real jerk with rage issues. He is on meds but it still ruined his home life and now is divorced. I am glad you are the same person as before the accident for what that is worth saying.
Molto Verboso

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 pm quote
GeekLion wrote:
Full Face or your face is FU$%#d

There is no way around it. The asphalt is exponentially harder and more abrasive than your soft flesh and bones. Harsh but true.
x2
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Oh man this is terrible news. I know you don't want to hear it and everyone's probably telling you it, but don't even worry about the scoot right now. It's a miracle you survived this and not something more permanent and life altering. Hope you recover and have no lasting results of this other than maybe a few surface scars and maybe some well deserved fear of lack of protection. Karma for that person will come back to them...

The scoot can be replaced, and I hope you don't shy away from them if you love them so much.
Exactly!
Hooked
2001 LML 150
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:43 pm quote
Deathshead... Ouch!! Take good care of yourself matey. The scoot will fix up ok when you're ready.

I'd be booking in to see an osteopath soon as you can to get checked over with those injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if you've moved some bones around in that head of yours..
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm quote
Deaths--
Youch! Sorry, man. Your face looks so painful. My sympathies on your whole situation.

Bikes are replaceable, but you are not. Glad that you have injuries that can heal eventually, even though it's gonna be a rough ride for you. Opioids are great if absolutely necessary, but they can also be a double-edged sword. If you can avoid them with some moderate sucking up of pain, do it. Not worth the risk in my extremely humble opinion. I am seriously surprised that a small Rx wasn't offered, though.

I probably would have ridden sans helmet in a similar situation, too. No fair that you slid so hard. But, you're gonna be ok. Thanks for the extra motivation to gear up and ride safe.

Rest. And rest some more. Let your body heal. You'll know when it's time to get back on the horse. And then, ride. I'm rooting for you.
Hooked
PX
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 pm quote
Sorry to hear about your accident....
I hope you get well very soon...

I also have a really nice open face helmet that I use on the Vespa but I often think what if I come off for whatever reason?
There is absolutely no protection to the front of your face...

I will be using my full face Helmet from now on...

Take it easy and I wish you all the best...

Robbie
Hooked
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 am quote
Looks like I’m going to end up fixing the bike. Anyone know where I might be able to score prepainted red cowls and front fender for a reasonable price?

Thanks guys.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:38 am quote
It won’t be easy finding already painted parts that match your scoot, but looks like Scooterworks has some used cowls and fenders ($99 and $89). They might have the color you want. If not, your local body shop can respray them to match your scoot.

https://www.scooterworks.com/Stella-Cowl-LH-Scratch-Dent-P13296.aspx?catId=660

https://www.scooterworks.com/Fender-Stella-Painted-Scratch-Dent-P13293.aspx
Molto Verboso

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 pm quote
Rather than trying to do a “butt panel match” color match, are you open to having a 2-tone scooter? Because depending upon how good your eye is (sorry, I couldn’t help myself there...) there’s a very good chance that if you only respray one of the cowls red, it won’t match the other side.

And be aware that red is the most expensive automotive paint color pigment out there (except for the exotic pigments of course).
Molto Verboso

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:32 pm quote
Robbie 11 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your accident....
I hope you get well very soon...

I also have a really nice open face helmet that I use on the Vespa but I often think what if I come off for whatever reason?
There is absolutely no protection to the front of your face...

I will be using my full face Helmet from now on...

Take it easy and I wish you all the best...

Robbie
Years ago I used to wear a half shell around on my scooter on the hot days. Then one of my friend’s caught me wearing it. He chewed me out for wearing it. I said “what’s the big deal?” He told me about the guy who worked at oit local DMV who had half a face left (from a motorcycle crash). I’ve been wearing full face helmets since.

Plus it make it more difficult for the PO-PO to identify you with a full face helmet....
Hooked
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:08 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Rather than trying to do a “butt panel match” color match, are you open to having a 2-tone scooter? Because depending upon how good your eye is (sorry, I couldn’t help myself there...) there’s a very good chance that if you only respray one of the cowls red, it won’t match the other side.

And be aware that red is the most expensive automotive paint color pigment out there (except for the exotic pigments of course).
I hear you on that 100%. I'm still unsure what do to as I try to get my marbles back, but if scooterworks still has NOS Stella Cowls and front fenders in color ready to go then. they should match pretty well. I just need to see how in the hell I would be able to afford them is all. the cowls, front fender, levers, legshield trim should get me back to 90% of where I started.. sigh..
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:36 pm quote
You're not gonna get fresh out of the box red that's gonna match after all these years. Most likely yours faded a bit, plus different years oftentimes have different but similar colors. 2005 red may not be the same as 2006 red.

I like the idea of two toning it.... paint the new stuff silver or white or cream... or black, or... the possibilities are endless with a red scoot. I used to have a motorcycle that was two tone maroon and cream.... sweet.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:48 pm quote
Larrytsg wrote:
You're not gonna get fresh out of the box red that's gonna match after all these years. Most likely yours faded a bit, plus different years oftentimes have different but similar colors. 2005 red may not be the same as 2006 red.

I like the idea of two toning it.... paint the new stuff silver or white or cream... or black, or... the possibilities are endless with a red scoot. I used to have a motorcycle that was two tone maroon and cream.... sweet.
2005 red is bright red. 2014 red is basically pink. So yeah they wouldn't give you 2014 cowls as those are completely different cowls, but if they gave you a red 2014 front fender (which is exactly the same fender) that would be completely the wrong color.
Hooked
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Larrytsg wrote:

2005 red is bright red. 2014 red is basically pink. So yeah they wouldn't give you 2014 cowls as those are completely different cowls, but if they gave you a red 2014 front fender (which is exactly the same fender) that would be completely the wrong color.
You guys are 100% correct. I will have to contact them and see if they have EARLY. Red cowls/fenders.. if not im beat and would have to get a body guy, etc.. and now we start getting to the point of how much am i going to sink into a Stella? I'm already looking at sinking $300 in cowls and fender just to get it back, then ordering the aluminum trim and the crimp tool from India at another $40 bucks.. left and right levers..
Hooked
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 pm quote
Deathshead wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Larrytsg wrote:

You guys are 100% correct. I will have to contact them and see if they have EARLY. Red cowls/fenders.. if not im beat and would have to get a body guy, etc.. and now we start getting to the point of how much am i going to sink into a Stella? I'm already looking at sinking $300 in cowls and fender just to get it back, then ordering the aluminum trim and the crimp tool from India at another $40 bucks.. left and right levers..

Almost $400 in lost helmet-comm setup.
$300-$400 in parts..
I'm getting into Decent P200 Money.. and after i get it all fixed up, im in a very mountainous area with horrific roads.. aye aye aye.. I just dont know what to do..
Hooked
1966 Sprint 150 & px200 and a shed full o shit
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm quote
. aye aye aye.. I just dont know what to do..
[/quote][/quote]

That really sucks dude. Feel for you.

Chill for a bit and get yourself healed then worry about the bike.

If it was me I'd look to just fix the levers and straighten the bars to make it rideable as a starting point. Hopefully the frame hasn't twisted. You can always grab the bits and pieces as they come up / funds allow and save them up for a rainy day reco.

If you need to replace the pods there is an interesting option for a side panel glovebox: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/side+panel+spare+wheelside+_75148000

There's opportunity for a few personal touches now as you replace the necessary parts. It can be better than before!

Hope you are feeling better,
PC
Hooked
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm quote
Hey guys! Just a follow up. Still recovering here. It's been pretty crazy how long it takes to heal when you hit 40 thats for sure! Still have stitches in my eyelid with goop coming out of it.. Ankle still swollen, Knee still gets really sore with a lot of walking, etc.. All after 3 days now so far.

So as it turns out, and this sounds CRAZY I was wearing my helmet! It was found about 50ft from where I went down in the weeds near a neighbors house a month later by one of the other neighbors. The last thing I remembered was not being able to find the helmet, but riding with the helmet and then putting the pieces back together later on. I never ride without it.

The most scary part of this is head injuries. Is that all tests came back ok at the time of the crash with no concussion, or any other evidence of trauma "inside" the head except for nasal/sinus bones which weren't an issue I even noticed. But still having some very odd cognitive issues, work has been a bit more difficult, just feeling fuzzy, some certain words are kind of hard to come up with, just feeling not right, that sort of thing.

The insurance company totaled the bike but I was able to buy it back.
Needs a clutch lever, I have a spare cowl that came with the bike with just some minor scratching. I will pick up some more legshield trim straighten out the bar/front tire alignment and we are back on the road.

I have this crazy idea of clearcoating over all the blood that's all over it as it kinda looks cool like flames, lol! The bike just runs too damn well to be scrapped, However nobody would want to go near the bike if i did that.

So anyways, here is the helmet. The inside of the shield is full of blood. Its just insane how this all happened. But I cannot stress this enough!.

*BUY A REAL FULL FACE HELMET!!*

This is called a Scorpion "Covert" its not a real fullface helmet, Its a half/1/4 helmet. the face guard which is just rubber and detaches was also blown off and found in another area as was the lower portion of the back/sides. While it probably saved me from waking up dead it also really didnt "save" my face/head either. a real quality full face I'm thinking would of saved me from getting knocked out for unknown amount of time and only being awoken by that obnoxious Stella turn signal beep.

TLDR: Buy a real quality full face helmet. Don't be cheap and don't buy shitty helmets just because they look cool...

Cheers guys and see you back on the road soon.

[/img]

helmet.jpg

Addicted
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm quote
that is crazy. Hope you recover fully with no lasting effects, but it sure sounds like you had some short term memory loss as a result of it. Those hybrid full half face helmets never seemed totally safe for me. I got a full face helmet, but its stylish and I've noticed that my chin hangs down lower than I feel comfortable with due to its styling as the chin goes up slightly in the front as it was used in the 70s for resting your chin as close to the tank as possible for racing. I thought about it occasionally, but your post is making me seriously question that it doesn't provide enough coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQLIhbhLtM
Addicted
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 pm quote
Btw, glad to hear you are rebuilding the stella and not walking away from it!
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.2106s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0511s) ][ Debug on ]