BV 350 Gas Tank/gauge issue?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm quote
New to the BV. Refilled my tank just once, but the gauge was reading at 95-100 miles and it was right on the first red tick mark. Two questions:

1. Is the gauge off? I thought the gas mileage was better than this, though itís been mostly in town/city driving with few opportunities to let it open up for very long.

2. When I filled it up as much as it would go without gas spilling everywhere, the gauge doesnít go up all the way to the end of ďFull.Ē

Itís a brand new scooter, about a month old (2018 BV), but I thought this was odd. Am I wrong?
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:51 pm quote
No. You have discovered one of the quirks of the BV350. The fuel gauge lives in an alternate reality from our world.

Don't try to fill it all the way up, it will just splash fuel all over you. When the fuel light comes on you may still have 50 to 100 miles to go -- no one knows for sure how far. Don't try to calculate the mpg from only one tank of fuel, let alone a partial tank. Determine the fuel consumption over several tanks.

It's a great machine. Have fun!
Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:54 pm quote
But I could swear when they gave it to me it was on full! Ok, "tank" you!
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 pm quote
My 2018 GTS sometimes Does the same thing after filling. I ignore it now because I know it will eventually read full. Maybe the float gets stuck and after some driving it releases. Always hits the full mark after turning engine off then starting. That may indicate an electronic issue..... Who knows!
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 am quote
On my first 2013 BV350, the gas gauge needle would go past the Full mark. It would drop to the 3/4 full mark after about 30 miles. It would hit the half-full mark at about 60 miles. It would hit the 1/4 full mark at about 90 miles. When the light came on, I figured I had about 50 miles until it was dry. I'd usually fill up the next day.

On my current 2017 BV350, the needle won't even ready the Full mark, even if the tank is full to the top of the filler (only did that once). Again, after 30 miles, it reads 3/4 full, and after 60 miles it reads half full. But it doesn't read 1/4 full until 100 miles. Again, 50-ish miles to dry when the light comes on (I guess).

You can see my current MPG in the banner in my signature below. I'm a heavy guy. I know that if I were to lose weight, MPG would improve.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 pm quote
When you are filling up you have to let the gas settle down into the baffles in the tank. If you have it on the side stand, you need to tilt the scooter up right and let the gas settle. Repeat. Then it will show full. I regularly full it to the top of the rim and have never had an issue with the EVAP, but some people have.
Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 am quote
Hey Bean. -It's on the sidestand when I pump the gas. But when I'm riding it afterwards the gauge still stays about 1/4 tank down.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 pm quote
bean counter wrote:
When you are filling up you have to let the gas settle down into the baffles in the tank. If you have it on the side stand, you need to tilt the scooter up right and let the gas settle. Repeat. Then it will show full. I regularly full it to the top of the rim and have never had an issue with the EVAP, but some people have.
I've never parked my current BV on the side stand. I always park it on the center stand. And I usually overfill mine (so that the level is in the filler neck, but not necessarily to the top of the rim), and have had a couple of instances of vapor lock, but I know how to solve that issue, and if the CEL comes on, I pop next door to Vespa Dallas and they clear it for me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:49 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
No. You have discovered one of the quirks of the BV350. The fuel gauge lives in an alternate reality from our world.

Don't try to fill it all the way up, it will just splash fuel all over you. When the fuel light comes on you may still have 50 to 100 miles to go -- no one knows for sure how far. Don't try to calculate the mpg from only one tank of fuel, let alone a partial tank. Determine the fuel consumption over several tanks.

It's a great machine. Have fun!
I get mine to the brim no problem, you just have to pick the right pump.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:34 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I get mine to the brim no problem, you just have to pick the right pump.
True, dat.
Hooked
BV 350
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:00 pm quote
patience
My BV350 is quirky that way as well. I fill mine from a 5 gallon can, with the scooter on the centerstand. After the first half-dozen 'partial' fillups, I figured it out. Usually I get it pretty full, let it sit a bit, and the level drops. Add some more (but not overflowing it, hopefull), let it sit a bit, and the level drops. Add some more, slowly, let it sit a bit, and see where you are. Generally takes at least two "re-fiills' to get it full, sometimes 3 or 4. Nice that the 'fins' in the filler neck pretty much prevent you from seeing the level in the tank. I try to do it when it is quiet around, so I can hear as the fuel nears the top. Not always successfully, though.

Always do it outdoors, so the overflow ends up on the driveway rather than the garage floor.

I never fill mine at a pump, so if I ever tear the scooter down, I'm gonna cut those 'fins' out of the filler neck.

Not really sure what kind of mileage it gets. I'd guess high 40's or low 50's. But then I'm riding it almost exclusively on Interstates with speeds of 70-75 MPH (sometimes higher), so most of the time the throttle is pretty well twisted.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:18 am quote
Re: patience
Jimding wrote:
My BV350 is quirky that way as well. I fill mine from a 5 gallon can, with the scooter on the centerstand. After the first half-dozen 'partial' fillups, I figured it out. Usually I get it pretty full, let it sit a bit, and the level drops. Add some more (but not overflowing it, hopefull), let it sit a bit, and the level drops. Add some more, slowly, let it sit a bit, and see where you are. Generally takes at least two "re-fiills' to get it full, sometimes 3 or 4. Nice that the 'fins' in the filler neck pretty much prevent you from seeing the level in the tank. I try to do it when it is quiet around, so I can hear as the fuel nears the top. Not always successfully, though.

Always do it outdoors, so the overflow ends up on the driveway rather than the garage floor.

I never fill mine at a pump, so if I ever tear the scooter down, I'm gonna cut those 'fins' out of the filler neck.

Not really sure what kind of mileage it gets. I'd guess high 40's or low 50's. But then I'm riding it almost exclusively on Interstates with speeds of 70-75 MPH (sometimes higher), so most of the time the throttle is pretty well twisted.
At full throttle all the time on the BV 350 you will still get 55 + miles per gallon.
Hooked

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:16 am quote
I managed mid 40's on a trip back from the keys last winter running 80 - 85 mph into some stiff wind. Prior to that I'd never seen mileage anywhere near that bad on mine. I typically average 58 - 60 with lots of interstate, and I've seen 64 on secondary roads.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 am quote
+1, Jimding; Patience.
Also, rocking from side to side helps. You will hear bubbles finding their way out of hiding places in the tank.
The scoot' is great. A few details are character building.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4202s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0296s) ][ Debug on ]