[NSR] It Looks like Louisiana is next in line
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:18 pm quote
Actually I guess it is kind of scooter related if you own one and live there.

I don't think we have too many members from Louisiana here but you never know. It looks like they are next in line for some nasty happenings. I hope everyone is safe but I have to wonder why TF anyone would live in a flood plain or somewhere prone to natural disasters? It makes no sense to me and I have to imagine insurance costs if you can get it are through the roof. I understand some people may have little choice but there are some that live there even though they could go somewhere else. The USA is a big country , seems that moving somewhere where your don't have to worry so much about these things just makes good sense.

I'm just curious if we have any members that live somewhere that is prone to natural disasters? I think their opinions could be interesting and I like hearing other viewpoints on some things.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:25 pm quote
Re: [NSR] It Looks like Louisiana is next in line
Harbinger wrote:

I don't think we have too many members from Louisiana here but you never know. It looks like they are next in line for some nasty happenings. I hope everyone is safe but I have to wonder why TF anyone would live in a flood plain or somewhere prone to natural disasters? It makes no sense to me and I have to imagine insurance costs if you can get it are through the roof. I understand some people may have little choice but there are some that live there even though they could go somewhere else. The USA is a big country , seems that moving somewhere where your don't have to worry so much about these things just makes good sense.

I'm just curious if we have any members that live somewhere that is prone to natural disasters? I think their opinions could be interesting and I like hearing other viewpoints on some things.
So you rule out the west coast (earthquakes)?
And the Midwest (tornadoes), and the north (snow) and the eastern seaboard (hurricanes). But what about the southwest (drought)?
Turns out the USA is a rather exciting place to be, naturally.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

And the Midwest (tornadoes), and the north (snow) and the eastern seaboard (hurricanes). But what about the southwest (drought)?
You want snow? That we got you beat on for sure
Hooked
P200 (sold) *Elite 250 *Buddy 161 *125cc Passport *Trail 90 *K-Pipe 125

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:44 pm quote
It's just rain, we'll survive
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 pm quote
Then there’s those pesky waters which seem to want to go over the banks instead of just flowing nicely. You build walls, and levees and dams and dikes and the blasted things just want to create floods, ruin roads, detour traffic...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:

I don't think we have too many members from Louisiana here but you never know. It looks like they are next in line for some nasty happenings. I hope everyone is safe but I have to wonder why TF anyone would live in a flood plain or somewhere prone to natural disasters? 1.
I don't think there is anywhere you can live without the risk of a natural disaster. In Houston we aren't in a flood plain but Harvey dropped over 70" of rain so we still flooded. In Breckenridge, we've had wildfires as close as 1/2 a mile from our house, avalanches less than 10 miles away..

Midwest and other parts of the world have tornados. Costal areas het hurricanes/typhoons. Then there are droughts, etc.

You can minimize your risks like living in the French Quarter in NOLA (high ground) and build elevated like they do along much of the Gulf Coast. Build out of fire resistant materials, to earthquake codes, tornado shelters, etc.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
I don't think so, less than 3 weeks since we last saw snow at our house.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

I have no idea how you live where you live.
Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS ‘Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:

Simply stated, because it’s my home.
Ossessionato
GTS300 Super Blue Gaiola
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:02 pm quote
Its very peaceful on Mars. Just the occasional dust storm. Ok, so the dust gets into EVERYTHING!

Just had my roof repaired after a terrible hail storm, and I thought I was living in a very safe part of Sydney. I guess no one is safe anymore.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:32 pm quote
Many cities developed along waterways for economic reasons. Simple structures became more substantial as the cities grew. It became economically unfeasible to relocate whole cities based on the risk of occasional flooding.

Unfortunately environmental conditions are changing...we see multiple "500 year" floods, for example, occurring nearly back to back. It's only going to get worse. Some people have the means to walk away from property, but for most, it's financially devastating.
Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 pm quote
Sometimes the best places are a product of the most inhospitable locations. New Orleans is such a place. I fear a flooded basement in New Jersey but I never stop thinking about moving to the Gulf Coast.

w.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2404s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0470s) ][ Debug on ]