A hundred mile hamburger...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 pm quote
I am just about three months out from having a total hip replacement. Doing well enough that I convinced my wife that I am good to travel with our motorhome, towing the scooters north for some riding in the cooler weather and great roads in the Black Hills.

We just got here yesterday - I took my GTS out for a short ride. Today, my wife asked if I was up for a ride to Custer (great hamburger shop there)?

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-hundred-mile-hamburger.html

Since this is the first riding other than our local roads at home in south Texas (flat and straight), I didn't take photos while riding... but, the riding was great. Warm weather, fun twisties, and a good burger.

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:01 pm quote
Well, for one thing, I'm seriously happy you're in the saddle this much with few if any issues, post-op. And, I'll bet that burger was all the more savory for the effort.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
Well, for one thing, I'm seriously happy you're in the saddle this much with few if any issues, post-op. And, I'll bet that burger was all the more savory for the effort.
Thanks for the kind words. The burger was great, but today was all about the riding. I'm not back to 100%, but my hip was in bad shape before the surgery. I worked hard through the physical therapy and continue to do the exercises, walking, and bicycle riding. I had a goal in mind all along: getting to have some scooter time in the Black Hills before summer slipped away. It took a lot of convincing to get my wife onboard; she was thinking that we would stay home all summer while I recuperated. The surgeon tended to agree with her (and also said that riding was "out of the question"), the physical therapist could see how hard I was working and suggested to her that this would be good for me in more than a physical improvement.

I have no issue with the riding - the hip handles that just fine at this point. I am still building stamina. For the record, I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14; made a switch to a scooter 6 years ago when the hip made it too painful for me to toss a leg over my last motorcycle. At this point, I think I can get a leg over a reasonably low seat height motorcycle again, but I have no plan to switch from the Vespa... this scoot is a great fit for me.

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally starts next week. I think I may have had the only Vespa there last year (only one that I saw, anyway). I'm looking forward to taking the scoots there once again and being able to walk Main St.
Addicted

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:12 am quote
The motion of getting on and off the scooter is actually goodmotion therapy. When you can do the normal things you are healed. We referr to those kinds of rides, cleansing rides for the body and soul!.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:19 am quote
Glad to see you could get out. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Good work on the recovery!
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:18 am quote
Thanks, folks!
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 am quote
Its been awhile since I had a 100 mile burger. Had a 105 mile chili dog last week. And a 75 mile breakfast. It sounds funny but it's one of my favorite reasons to ride!

Your adventures look great. Looking through your blog. Man, you are a busy guy!
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:37 am quote
Woo Hoo! Good on ya, hope the recovery is complete and you get many more miles!
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:22 pm quote
Awesome! Glad you are riding longer and farther. And today the gold Spyder was at the plant, first time this summer. Another with hip and knee issues, had him and the wife off bikes until they got the Cam-Am Spyder. And I have made spider comments ever since, so glad to know you are riding and very glad to see they are too. They work in the other end of the plant, earlier start for their days and live farther away.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:23 pm quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Its been awhile since I had a 100 mile burger. Had a 105 mile chili dog last week. And a 75 mile breakfast. It sounds funny but it's one of my favorite reasons to ride!

Your adventures look great. Looking through your blog. Man, you are a busy guy!
Live to ride, ride to eat.

Yeah, I'm kidding... I don't need an excuse to ride... but, a good meal mid-ride doesn't suck.
Ossessionato
Kymco Like 200i (Sold)
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:00 pm quote
Glad you could get back in the saddle to enjoy some great riding and eats. Ain't technology wonderful?

Hip surgery has really changed. When my sister had it done 20 years ago she had to recoup in a nursing home for a few weeks then weeks of PT. 6 month after the surgery she could get around okay, but her movements were limited given the technology at the time. Fast forward 18 years and my brother needed the surgery. Night and day different. He was literally walking within hours of the surgery and within a month making excellent progress. His range of motion is limitless by comparison to that of our sister. Today she walks with a limp and has to concern herself with a follow-up surgery. My brother on the other hand two years post surgery is as good as new.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:07 pm quote
The surgeon and PT guys both say 6 months to a year for the recovery. Tomorrow will be 3 months in, so I am feeling good about my progress. I heard from some folks that this surgery is a piece of cake... those people would be full of crap. It is major surgery, and there is a big difference between "they get you up and walking right away" and actual functionally walking. The hip joint may be "weight bearing" right after the surgery, but the pain and shock to your body is significant. It takes time to recover... as you would expect if you had a couple big chunks of bone cut away.

The only people who have said (to me) it is an easy procedure are people who haven't had it done to themselves. It is always: my uncle (father, friend, etc, etc) had it done and "they were up walking right away." Ask anyone who has actually been through it, and you will get the real story.

A neighbor of mine had his hip done three days after me. His recovery started out much better than mine... he was walking without a cane in three weeks, I was still having to use a walker. I worked my butt off doing all the physical therapist told me; my friend did PT only when the therapist was there. At this point, I am doing much better than he is. But, I am still working at it every day.

Getting this ride in yesterday was a true high-point for me. But, I know I have more work to do.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:52 pm quote
We took "the long way" to Mt Rushmore today - a great riding day and plenty of twisty roads. Yeah, this is worth all the work it took to get to this point.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-long-way-to-mt-rushmore.html
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:54 pm quote
Flat-out magnificent. Getting better all the time.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 pm quote
We have been riding most days since we came to the Black Hills. Today, it was off to Sturgis - a preview, since the Rally doesn't officially start until this weekend.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/07/sturgis-preview.html

The crowds have not rolled in, yet - the riding was outstanding. Two-lane twisty roads, making the 30 mile distance (via Interstate) to Sturgis a delightful 60 miles. No traffic. Delightful weather. Wonderful sweeping curves. And once in Sturgis, less than half of the vendors are set up, but still more than enough selection for a couple Rally T-shirts and a few other bike things. A great lunch with no wait for an outside table where we could watch the light traffic go by.

In a few days, the roads will be thick with motorcycles and the town of Sturgis (and much of the surrounding Black Hills) will be jam packed.

A few photos from our day...

We will probably ride up when the Rally is in full swing, just to experience it. But, the riding won't be as good as today. And then, 10 days after it gets going, it will thin out just as quick.

About 120 miles today, and hip is doing fine. Plenty of walking around Sturgis to see what the vendors are offering this year. Building my stamina, one ride at a time.
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:16 pm quote
Most excellent, Jim. Y'all know how to enjoy yourselves, pre- and post-festivities!
Addicted
Yamaha Tricity 155 my 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:22 pm quote
...belle strade lisce...
... beautiful smooth roads ...
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 am quote
amateriat wrote:
Most excellent, Jim. Y'all know how to enjoy yourselves, pre- and post-festivities!
Thanks. I am just excited to be out and about again. Our lifestyle has been rather mobile, so I had some real concerns about how long the recuperation would be from the hip surgery. This trip out has been great for my sense of well-being... and, yes, I am still finding time for my exercise/walking regime.
Attila wrote:
...belle strade lisce...
... beautiful smooth roads ...
The Black Hills (in western South Dakota) is an area blessed with some great riding roads. They aren't all smooth, but there is some great variety in a reasonably compact area.

Of course, I think there are a lot of us here who would enjoy seeing some photos of where you ride.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 pm quote
A "movie trailer" from today's ride: twisty roads to Hill City (South Dakota). I heard they were blocking off their downtown area to motorcycle only parking (like Sturgis) and thought we should check it out...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/08/another-day-on-scoots.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2htCpmH9A

Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 pm quote
Another outing today, in between rain and predicted rain. No destination, just enjoying the curves and scenery. At the end of that road, we were both thinking the same thing: "Let's ride that same road back instead of taking the highway!"

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/08/curves-for-fun-of-it.html

Preview...

Surprisingly light traffic, considering the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is in full swing. We hauled butt back to our home base, with threatening weather moving at us from the south. We could hear the thunder and smell the rain. I put the scoots in the cargo trailer as soon as we got back...

The rain moved just south of us - 7 miles away, they had 3" of rain this afternoon.
Addicted
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:03 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Of course, I think there are a lot of us here who would enjoy seeing some photos of where you ride.
If I publish the photos of many Italian roads then I block tourism from abroad ... good only for the Paris-Dakar.
Very impressive video, where can you see the whole movie?
I got the chills looking at him ...
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:03 am quote
Attila wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
If I publish the photos of many Italian roads then I block tourism from abroad ... good only for the Paris-Dakar.
Very impressive video, where can you see the whole movie?
I got the chills looking at him ...
Um, that trailer IS the whole movie.

When I first started shooting video from the scoot, even 2 minutes without a cut was too long. The first few videos I made for us (family) was more than anyone wanted to see... more fun to ride than to watch somebody ride. So, I started making these "trailers" for a glimpse of the day.

Mostly, I shoot stills when we're out having fun. I don't have the patience for video editing and setting up different angles.
Addicted
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:00 am quote
... sin, you have a lot of talent ...
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:31 pm quote
Another outing on the scoots today. The Blonde is good with a burger once a week or so - I voted back to Custer. The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is in full swing, and Custer has gotten on the bandwagon of having motorcycle only parking on their main drag - right down the middle of the nice wide street.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/08/another-town-with-motorcycle-only.html

Preview...

Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm quote
Off to Sturgis today. I can tell I'm getting more mellow as I... um... mature. The crowds, the roar - I think I'll be good with one visit there this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W26PG3gZecY

A Vespa rider in the crowd...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-crowd.html
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:19 pm quote
Not about the lunch destination today... it was all about the curves...

Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 am quote
I'm slow catching up - great pics and that movie trailer was a blast!

Ride safe.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm quote
The most distance traveled for a routine social event must be a fellow serviceman in the Navy when I did my National Service in the '70's...

Jurgen lived on a from 150km outside Windhoek in Namibia. His girlfriend lived on another farm 50km further. So a 'normal' date involved him driving 50kms to fetch her, 200kms to catch a movie, then 200kms to take her home, followed by 50kms back to his home.

That is 500kms for a movie date...!
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:04 pm quote
Out and about on the scoots again today. Pulling into the parking lot of a store that sells Iron Mountain Road stuff, a Harley rider stood up, pointed at me, and... his wife put her hand over his mouth. The story is here...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/08/are-you-making-fun-of-my-vespa.html

And, an unintended time lapse that looks like a bad Benny Hill Scooter Clip...

Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.5624s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0755s) ][ Debug on ]