2016 MP3 500 Common Issues - Buy Extended Warranty?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Lurker
2016 Piaggio MP3
Joined: 25 Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Location: Edmonton
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 pm quote
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a used 2016 MP3 500 Business ABS for $6000 CAD/$4550 US. It looks nice and only has 2200 km's (1360 miles) and there is still 1 year of the warranty left. Before I sign on the dotted line, they want to know if I want to buy an additional two year warranty, so I would have 3 years walking out the door. I am not sure what problems are typical and when they begin to appear and if the oil issue applies to this model as well. Bike was single owner for 1 year and has been at dealership for trade in for close to another year. To buy the extended warranty for another 2 years would add $1200 CAD/$900 US to the price tag. I know this question has been asked many times before, but I thought I would ask again just in case anyone has thought to this year/model since last 2018 post I was able to read.

https://www.albertacycle.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=6011786&p=1&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Thanks!
Rachel
Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 216
Location: San Diego California
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:42 pm quote
Read your warranty and you will find the last line reads:

"Any part subject to wear and tear is excluded from this warranty."

If you wish to extend this warranty at that price, you should do it. Dealers are not crooks but must stay in business, even though they know that Piaggio will not support them. Try to think of any part not subject to wear and tear!!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37389
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:14 am quote
They wouldn't offer it if they weren't guaranteed to make money from you.
Hooked
Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 226
Location: England
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:25 am quote
The most common expensive repair could be the steering bearings that could be 600 to replace when they develop a notch(my 2016 was going thru one set every 2.5 years!).
I worry this may not be covered anyway.

Ride it hard for the first year and get any faults done under warranty. Maybe keep the money and use it for repairs>?
Lurker
2016 Piaggio MP3
Joined: 25 Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Location: Edmonton
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am quote
Thanks everyone! I super appreciate the replies and perhaps saving the money in case it needs some repairs is the way to go. I am coming from a long history of 80's hondas so thanks for the ad to the group and I see that I have a ton of reading to do and lots to learn.

Cheers!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7039
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:34 am quote
jfolander wrote:
Read your warranty and you will find the last line reads:

"Any part subject to wear and tear is excluded from this warranty."

If you wish to extend this warranty at that price, you should do it. Dealers are not crooks but must stay in business, even though they know that Piaggio will not support them. Try to think of any part not subject to wear and tear!!
Wear and tear items are brakes, tires, belts, shocks. Not what you are implying.
Engine blows up they aren't going to call it wear and tear item.
Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 216
Location: San Diego California
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm quote
If you say so......unfortunately, dealers say otherwise.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7039
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:36 pm quote
jfolander wrote:
If you say so......unfortunately, dealers say otherwise.
If you read the warranty, not the booklet the dealer has, but the contract, it must list what they do not covered to meet Fed Guidelines.
Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 216
Location: San Diego California
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:06 am quote
That is your opinion and we are entitled to it.

Happy scootering, from San Diego.....
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2692
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:17 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
jfolander wrote:
If you say so......unfortunately, dealers say otherwise.
If you read the warranty, not the booklet the dealer has, but the contract, it must list what they do not covered to meet Fed Guidelines.
Read the Canadian version of the warranty. U.S. Federal rules won't apply.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7039
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:04 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
jfolander wrote:
If you say so......unfortunately, dealers say otherwise.
If you read the warranty, not the booklet the dealer has, but the contract, it must list what they do not covered to meet Fed Guidelines.
Read the Canadian version of the warranty. U.S. Federal rules won't apply.
Ah, I see he's Canadian Eh?
Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 216
Location: San Diego California
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:12 pm quote
He is an american, but the OP is living in Canada. That is the reason for his comment about Canada.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5279
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
jfolander wrote:
If you say so......unfortunately, dealers say otherwise.
If you read the warranty, not the booklet the dealer has, but the contract, it must list what they do not covered to meet Fed Guidelines.
Read the Canadian version of the warranty. U.S. Federal rules won't apply.
Ah, I see he's Canadian Eh?
Yah, der. Dat's right, eh.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7039
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:29 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
jfolander wrote:
If you say so......unfortunately, dealers say otherwise.
If you read the warranty, not the booklet the dealer has, but the contract, it must list what they do not covered to meet Fed Guidelines.
Read the Canadian version of the warranty. U.S. Federal rules won't apply.
Ah, I see he's Canadian Eh?
Yah, der. Dat's right, eh.
I worked for a Canadian Telecomm Equipment manufacturer. On the first products they put out, if you entered a line command wrong, it would reply with c:> Eh??
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.5904s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0685s) ][ Debug on ]