Sweet spot...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:05 am quote
Thanks for straightening me out.
My local Marathon station has a separate pump for zero ethanol fuel and it's 94 octane. Fuel with 10% Ethanol added runs in 93 octane, 89 and 87. Which would you recommend?

Ethanol.jpeg

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm quote
I have your same question. I was told 91 octane for my GTS 300 but no education on ethanol. I would be very curious to hear whether or not I should worry about using an octane higher than the recommendation (to achieve a no eth version)
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm quote
91 Octane or better for me, and non-ethanol if it is available. For RP-Tech: 94 octane isn't going to hurt anything, and I would go for whatever they have with non-ethanol over that crappy ethanol.

When we get home again, non-ethanol is... non-available. So, I go with premium (91 to 93 octane, depending on the station) with the crap in it. Being a retired boat captain, I have seen the effects of ethanol on rubber hoses/gaskets and even fiberglass tanks... there is nothing good about that stuff: you get lower mpg and it is quick to deteriorate. If your vehicle sets, the ethanol (and the water it draws in) stratifies in your tank. Older carbureted motors suffer more than fuel injected engines, again especially if you let ethanol laced fuel sit in the carb.

When it comes down to it, you run whatever fuel you have available. I have run 87 octane ethanol when I can't find the good stuff.

Enough of that rant.

More fun riding today...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/do-you-feel-lucky-punk.html

Gorgeous weather, great roads, and riding with my Honey (we stopped for a picnic lunch today). Seeing buffalo and begging burros on the Wildlife Loop.

A preview...

99.55 mpg when I fueled up today (with 91 octane non-ethanol); my wife got 132 mpg on her PCX. AND, fuel prices dropped a dime now that we are past prime tourist season.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:15 pm quote
One last ride here in the Black Hills - tomorrow, we start the "getting ready to roll" process and wander our way back south.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-last-ride.html

We both agreed on which road we wanted to do today, and the riding was great! Almost no traffic, warm with beautiful blue skies. We did about 120 miles, had lunch out, stopped at the BMW dealer to see if there has been any word from BMW about the scoot my wife had ordered... nope, it is still in "stop sail jail" as they wait to get the parts for the recall from BMW. No idea when that is going to happen.

A couple preview photos...

I'm planning on a stop at AF1 Racing when we pass through the Austin area, just in case my wife has a change of heart about her choice.

To say with the "theme" of this thread, the Vespa got 94.38 mpg today, the PCX got 111 mpg.

We have had a great couple of months here in the Black Hills. (My heart is happy, my hip is healing.)
Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
One last ride here in the Black Hills - tomorrow, we start the "getting ready to roll" process and wander our way back south.

To say with the "theme" of this thread, the Vespa got 94.38 mpg today, the PCX got 111 mpg.

We have had a great couple of months here in the Black Hills. (My heart is happy, my hip is healing.)
Hmmm...... 🤔 Maybe you should re-think a bit. Sounds like both the bikes prefer life there.
It’s doing you good as well.

I think the ‘sweet spot’ you speak of is the Black Hills....
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 am quote
KABarash wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

Hmmm...... 🤔 Maybe you should re-think a bit. Sounds like both the bikes prefer life there.

Good point - we do enjoy our time here. That said, we lived in the Black Hills for almost 30 years, so we know what is coming... and I try to avoid that frozen northland stuff!

After an early summer of being unable to ride, this has been a wonderful respite. We'll change gears once we get back to the Tropical Tip... we got word that the road that leads to a Wildlife Refuge near us has finally been finished - years in the making. It should be a decent (but still not hilly and curvy) ride for us. There will be more time on the boat. Like getting another "summer" after this one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 am quote
KABarash wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

You have a good point, but there is this little thing called "Winter" out there.

Kind of a game-changer for riding.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 am quote
As we head back towards home, we decided to spend a week in Texas Hill Country (based ourselves in Fredericksburg). I wanted to make a trip into Austin to check out AF1 Racing's inventory. I thought my wife might like the look and feel of the new GTS... but, no. She got the opportunity to "test sit" a BV350 (more her style), but she was really taken with a 2019 Yamaha Xmax they had taken in on a trade for a GTS 300. Short story: we went back two days later and bought the Xmax.

Nice bike, and a completely different approach from my GTS. The Xmax has a fuel mileage readout, so she knows she was getting about 76 mpg on our ride back from Austin. The only way to know how my GTS was doing was by looking at the odometer and fuel gauge. I was surprised to find that I got 82 mpg with all highway riding, mostly between 55 and 65 mph.

While we have had our scoots in the Phoenix area (our daughter lives there), we tend to stay on secondary roads where the PCX was more comfortable. Neither of us particularly enjoy mixing it up with fast big city traffic on the scoots, but the GTS handles it without breaking a sweat. The PCX was close to maxed out at 65mph. Her Xmax isn't even breathing hard at that speed.

More options.
2019 GTS 300 Super
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:20 am quote
Over 8000 miles on my 2019 GTS, I've gotten 58-64 MPG. That's on E10 91-93 octane premium gas. Unfortunately no ethinol free premium on my routes to work. That's mostly travelling 50-65 MPH on back roads.
Hooked
GTS 300
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:38 am quote
My 2018 GTS is pegged @ 75 miles per gallon with or without E10. She gets 94 octane w/o ethanol because my baby deserves the best although she doesn't go further.
Doesn't being a snowbird cause you to become thin skinned and lose resistance to cool temps? That's probably the point. Enjoy winter on the boat.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:51 pm quote
maydaymike wrote:
Over 8000 miles on my 2019 GTS, I've gotten 58-64 MPG. That's on E10 91-93 octane premium gas. Unfortunately no ethinol free premium on my routes to work. That's mostly travelling 50-65 MPH on back roads.
That is closer to what I expected when I bought this GTS used, last year. I think my first fill-up was 70 mpg. That seems to be what I get when we are at home (sea level, only enthanol available, premium 91 to 93 octane). Also why I started this thread: having more fun riding those great roads in the Black Hills AND getting far better fuel mileage. Makes no sense. That's two summers with consistently better mileage than the rest of the year, at lower elevation.
RP Tech wrote:
My 2018 GTS is pegged @ 75 miles per gallon with or without E10. She gets 94 octane w/o ethanol because my baby deserves the best although she doesn't go further.
Doesn't being a snowbird cause you to become thin skinned and lose resistance to cool temps? That's probably the point. Enjoy winter on the boat.
I guess we would be the opposite of a snowbird: we get out of the heat during the summer, preferring to head north where we can find cooler temps. We sold our cruising boat and now have a small boat that we can take out for local sight-seeing and dolphin watching. (No liveaboard facilities) But, we do have a dock right out our back door (home is on a canal just off the ICW), so shorter day trips any time we feel like it.

The downside is the riding around our home is a bit lacking: flat as can be, hard to find an actual curve. So, we take the scoots out for lunch; cruise around on some back roads (still flat and straight), maybe head to the nearby National Wildlife Refuge. Definitely not the fun riding we have when we haul the scoots north. Trade-offs.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm quote
It has been a while since I've posted on this thread. On topping off our tanks today, I got 76 mpg; a mix of in town and highway riding. And my wife, with her Xmax, got... 76 mpg. Larger, heavier, more horsepower... and the same mpg. Go figure.

First time since we've been home that it has been comfortably cool for a ride today. I actually put a wind shirt on underneath my mesh armor jacket.

Also, an anniversary of sorts for me today: 6 months since the hip replacement. I am totally convinced that scooter riding has really helped with my recuperation... I am getting really good "smiles per gallon."
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:57 pm quote
There are worse ways to spend a Monday: out on the scoots, across the causeway for breakfast at my favorite Monday breakfast place, and some scootin' around. We swapped scoots for some highway riding - seems we both prefer what we have (nice when it works out that way 😉). Riding position matters...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/11/its-like-iron-mountain-road.html

Scooter swap...

We stopped to fuel up on the way home. When we both had PCXes, her mileage was always better than mine. I attributed that to our weight difference (I outweigh her by a pound or 50). Going with my GTS and her Xmax, I expected to finally beat her mileage. Nope. The Xmax is heavier and has more horsepower than my GTS; this fill-up: she got 86mph, I got 83.

We both, however, got in some good riding.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 am quote
Re: Impressed
WEB-Tech wrote:
RP Tech wrote:
Picked up my new 2018 this past Memorial day and never paid much attention to ethanol additive. That is until going to Amerivespa where several of us topped off and I was schooled on the corn product. Apparently our engines are high compression and eth may cause pre-ignition problems in the long run.Checking the owners manual said we can use up to 10% eth. But this forum recommends pure gasoline for improved mileage and no undue header problems you might have using 10% eth.
You were either told wrong or understood wrong. Doesn't matter if the gas has Eth or not the Octane controls pre ignition. If it is the right octane you will NOT have pre ignition problem.
And no reason in the world expect MPG is there a reason to worry about using 10% eth in a newer motor.
And in 45 years of working on cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers and boat motors have I ever heard that the gas you run can affect exhaust gaskets
Don't know who you were talking too but that weren't giving you facts, they were giving you their opinion, which is wrong.
This.../\ /\
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:00 am quote
Re: Impressed
RP Tech wrote:
Let me start by saying your places visited map in incredible; you scooted the whole country including Hawaii where you probably rented.Is that what you do', rent at your destination?

Picked up my new 2018 this past Memorial day and never paid much attention to ethanol additive. That is until going to Amerivespa where several of us topped off and I was schooled on the corn product. Apparently our engines are high compression and eth may cause pre-ignition problems in the long run.Checking the owners manual said we can use up to 10% eth. But this forum recommends pure gasoline for improved mileage and no undue header problems you might have using 10% eth.
MPG before using 10% eth and several tank fulls after with 93 octane 0 ethanol proved no better. I'm at 75-76 miles per gallon. A slight improvement in pick-up from a dead stop is all I physically noticed due to the increased octane rating.
RP if your bike is still quite low miles the motor will still likely be quite tight. The 300 Vespa engine needs around 5-7k miles to fully loosen up. It varies a little depending how its ridden. As it does so performance does improve, as does mpg. Increased octane rating on its own doesn't normally give an increase in performance. In fact too higher octane will lower your performance as that fuel will have a much slower flame propagation causing too slower burn rate which results in wasting energy/power leading to worse mpg. There is no more stored energy in higher octane fuel than there is in low octane fuel. What you may notice with slightly higher octane fuels sometimes is a small improvement in power due to extra cleaners and other additives in the higher octane fuel which cleans your valves and injector. But if your motor is already clean you won't notice a difference.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.3103s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0544s) ][ Debug on ]