Sweet spot...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:05 am quote
Thanks for straightening me out.
My local Marathon station has a separate pump for zero ethanol fuel and it's 94 octane. Fuel with 10% Ethanol added runs in 93 octane, 89 and 87. Which would you recommend?

Ethanol.jpeg

Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm quote
I have your same question. I was told 91 octane for my GTS 300 but no education on ethanol. I would be very curious to hear whether or not I should worry about using an octane higher than the recommendation (to achieve a no eth version)
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm quote
91 Octane or better for me, and non-ethanol if it is available. For RP-Tech: 94 octane isn't going to hurt anything, and I would go for whatever they have with non-ethanol over that crappy ethanol.

When we get home again, non-ethanol is... non-available. So, I go with premium (91 to 93 octane, depending on the station) with the crap in it. Being a retired boat captain, I have seen the effects of ethanol on rubber hoses/gaskets and even fiberglass tanks... there is nothing good about that stuff: you get lower mpg and it is quick to deteriorate. If your vehicle sets, the ethanol (and the water it draws in) stratifies in your tank. Older carbureted motors suffer more than fuel injected engines, again especially if you let ethanol laced fuel sit in the carb.

When it comes down to it, you run whatever fuel you have available. I have run 87 octane ethanol when I can't find the good stuff.

Enough of that rant.

More fun riding today...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/do-you-feel-lucky-punk.html

Gorgeous weather, great roads, and riding with my Honey (we stopped for a picnic lunch today). Seeing buffalo and begging burros on the Wildlife Loop.

A preview...

99.55 mpg when I fueled up today (with 91 octane non-ethanol); my wife got 132 mpg on her PCX. AND, fuel prices dropped a dime now that we are past prime tourist season.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:15 pm quote
One last ride here in the Black Hills - tomorrow, we start the "getting ready to roll" process and wander our way back south.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-last-ride.html

We both agreed on which road we wanted to do today, and the riding was great! Almost no traffic, warm with beautiful blue skies. We did about 120 miles, had lunch out, stopped at the BMW dealer to see if there has been any word from BMW about the scoot my wife had ordered... nope, it is still in "stop sail jail" as they wait to get the parts for the recall from BMW. No idea when that is going to happen.

A couple preview photos...

I'm planning on a stop at AF1 Racing when we pass through the Austin area, just in case my wife has a change of heart about her choice.

To say with the "theme" of this thread, the Vespa got 94.38 mpg today, the PCX got 111 mpg.

We have had a great couple of months here in the Black Hills. (My heart is happy, my hip is healing.)
Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
One last ride here in the Black Hills - tomorrow, we start the "getting ready to roll" process and wander our way back south.

To say with the "theme" of this thread, the Vespa got 94.38 mpg today, the PCX got 111 mpg.

We have had a great couple of months here in the Black Hills. (My heart is happy, my hip is healing.)
Hmmm...... 🤔 Maybe you should re-think a bit. Sounds like both the bikes prefer life there.
It’s doing you good as well.

I think the ‘sweet spot’ you speak of is the Black Hills....
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 am quote
KABarash wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

Hmmm...... 🤔 Maybe you should re-think a bit. Sounds like both the bikes prefer life there.

Good point - we do enjoy our time here. That said, we lived in the Black Hills for almost 30 years, so we know what is coming... and I try to avoid that frozen northland stuff!

After an early summer of being unable to ride, this has been a wonderful respite. We'll change gears once we get back to the Tropical Tip... we got word that the road that leads to a Wildlife Refuge near us has finally been finished - years in the making. It should be a decent (but still not hilly and curvy) ride for us. There will be more time on the boat. Like getting another "summer" after this one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 am quote
KABarash wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

You have a good point, but there is this little thing called "Winter" out there.

Kind of a game-changer for riding.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2579s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0605s) ][ Debug on ]