New (to me) MP3 500ie
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm quote
First off, Hi!! I'm quite obviously new here, though I have been lurking for a while. Let me say, this forum is a godsend and has helped me decide on what I wanted and what I didn't. That said, I have a request:

I bought a used MP3 with 5k miles on it. Its a 2009 500ie, If it's not a bother, I'd like some recommendations on the following:

1. Recommended Tire Brands? I prefer radials. I'm in California, Central North so we get rain in the winter and its HOT in the summer...like right now. These tires currently have 4k on them, and they seem to be somewhat lacking in tread depth. This is about to be my main mode of transport as the wife has the car starting Monday August 5th 2019 and will be scootin' along 20 miles a day, city streets only as I haven't the desire to take it on the freeway.

2. Air Filter and Oil Filter brand

3. Oil type/brand (I'm in the USA, California) I've been using 5w40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, mostly Castrol

4. Foot Pegs and possibly, where to get them

5. Givi or Madstadt or some other brand(?)...this thing desperately needs a windshield

6. Suggestions on how to run electrical. I have a lovely USB with SAE connector from my old motorcycle that I'd like to put on this. There's tupperware everywhere and I'm not sure where to begin. I'd like to put the USB on the left hand side, left of the speedometer.

And of course anything that you all think would be a good addition to this lil lady that looks suspiciously like either a jumping spider or a praying mantis.

Thanks!

Nurdo84

20190723_144453.jpg
This girls name is "Rosie"

20190723_144506.jpg
Am I the only person who thinks the MP3 has a somewhat insect-like appearance?

20190723_144514.jpg
Tire closeup. City Grips

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:04 am quote
Re: New (to me) MP3 500ie
Nurdo84 wrote:
First off, Hi!! I'm quite obviously new here, though I have been lurking for a while. Let me say, this forum is a godsend and has helped me decide on what I wanted and what I didn't. That said, I have a request:

I bought a used MP3 with 5k miles on it. Its a 2009 500ie, If it's not a bother, I'd like some recommendations on the following:

1. Recommended Tire Brands? I prefer radials. I'm in California, Central North so we get rain in the winter and its HOT in the summer...like right now. These tires currently have 4k on them, and they seem to be somewhat lacking in tread depth. This is about to be my main mode of transport as the wife has the car starting Monday August 5th 2019 and will be scootin' along 20 miles a day, city streets only as I haven't the desire to take it on the freeway.

2. Air Filter and Oil Filter brand

3. Oil type/brand (I'm in the USA, California) I've been using 5w40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, mostly Castrol

4. Foot Pegs and possibly, where to get them

5. Givi or Madstadt or some other brand(?)...this thing desperately needs a windshield

6. Suggestions on how to run electrical. I have a lovely USB with SAE connector from my old motorcycle that I'd like to put on this. There's tupperware everywhere and I'm not sure where to begin. I'd like to put the USB on the left hand side, left of the speedometer.

And of course anything that you all think would be a good addition to this lil lady that looks suspiciously like either a jumping spider or a praying mantis.

Thanks!

Nurdo84
michelin city grips are great tires, can't go wrong with those. now I recently installed the newer pirelli angles on the fronts and like them a lot. still haven't got any long term miles on them to report on the mileage of them yet, but they are a serious contender.
air filters are about $5-6 for oem stock and can get them at any dealer, use a 50/50 mix of regular engine oil and gas and soak the filter and then lightly wring it out and let air dry for a couple hours.
oil your good using the castrol 5-40
floorboards, I have a few sets in stock and you can add what ever style pegs you like,

I like the givi windscreen personally, various suppliers carry them. google.

running a wire from the battery is best to go down and snake it along the underside plastics floorboards then up thru the center column area and behind the instrument cluster. plastics are fairly simple to remove on the front end.
Molto Verboso
2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2014 Kawasaki Concours
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 am quote
Congrats on your acquisition, great bike and thoroughly enjoyed mine
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:06 am quote
One thing I would like to stress- ALWAYS use premium fuel! The pistons in the 2009 MASTER dual spark engine are prone to cracking between the top two rings, and that is due to detonation (knocking). Mine did it, and many others here were afflicted by the same. If you start getting a lot of blow-by, oil consumption after long hot runs and the air filter fills up with oil, you will need a top end rebuild. Others have gone 50,000 miles plus with no problem, so it's not something that will always happen, but using premium gas is a cheap and easy preventative measure.

Also, check it for the steering notch, better yet, just liberally grease and set the preload on those top bearings in the steering. At 5k miles, you shouldn't have a problem even if they were some of the tight dry ones, but getting it done now will save you some financial pain in the future if yours haven't been done.

Good luck. I love my MP3 500, and I'm sure you'll love yours!
Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 am quote
Congrats! Great looking 500.

Get yourself new tires

Buy extra Exhaust Gasket or Bushing for Piaggio, Aprilia 400, 500 (874946) scooterpartco.com or wherever you can find one. I'm a super noob and was able to replace it as mine disintegrated. I can't see if you have stock exhaust but if so, u want this on hand.

I have the notch but it's dead center and I having't mustered the courage to deal with it.

Def get the new floor boards from OAD...they rock. I got Krator KM012 Black foot pegs from Amaz...love them.

I have 1hr commute and got Pro pad medium Gel seat from chaparralmotorsports.com...saving my tush one minute at a time.

Stebel horn...haven't installed mine yet (search forum for set up)

You are in the right place, everyone very helpful and very knowledgeable.
2016 Piaggio MP3 500ie Sport
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:23 am quote
Nice ride. Safe travels amigo!
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 am quote
Big thanks!
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I'll be taking your suggestions and applying them to my bike. May take me a smidgen longer to do than planned, but I'll get em done!

Thanks again!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:58 am quote
The Yamaha exhaust bushing 3YF-14714-00-00 used on several Yamaha bikes is an exact replacement for about $15, as opposed to the Piaggio part that runs about $50 (yikes!)
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:11 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:
The Yamaha exhaust bushing 3YF-14714-00-00 used on several Yamaha bikes is an exact replacement for about $15, as opposed to the Piaggio part that runs about $50 (yikes!)
You can get one for $5 - $8 if you search well.
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:47 pm quote
Nice looking Gilera Fuoco!!
I never understood why the marketed it as an MP3 in the US. And BTW, those tires are Pilot Sports, not City Grips...
Hooked
MP3 500
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:38 pm quote
I have the Madstadt and like it a lot. It's adjustable (I adjust it between a summer setting and a spring/fall setting) and if you ever feel like riding without it, you remove it with just 4 screws and put the original plate back on.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
Not an exact replacement. Not as substantial as the Piaggio one.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm quote
True, not an exact replacement. I guess I should have said an "adequate" replacement.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:08 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
One thing I would like to stress- ALWAYS use premium fuel! The pistons in the 2009 MASTER dual spark engine are prone to cracking between the top two rings, and that is due to detonation (knocking). Mine did it, and many others here were afflicted by the same. If you start getting a lot of blow-by, oil consumption after long hot runs and the air filter fills up with oil, you will need a top end rebuild. Others have gone 50,000 miles plus with no problem, so it's not something that will always happen, but using premium gas is a cheap and easy preventative measure.

Also, check it for the steering notch, better yet, just liberally grease and set the preload on those top bearings in the steering. At 5k miles, you shouldn't have a problem even if they were some of the tight dry ones, but getting it done now will save you some financial pain in the future if yours haven't been done.

Thanks for the great tips. How much oil in the filter would you say is a def top end rebuild? like a drenching or tip end of filter wetting? Are there any other signs of this top end rebuild issue? I just changed my filter and the far right end of it was saturated with oil but oil didn't spill out when i took off the case. After my air filter, oil , and sparks change she runs butter smooth and quiet as a whisper with new gasket.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:05 am quote
nktwrk wrote:
Squeazel wrote:

Thanks for the great tips. How much oil in the filter would you say is a def top end rebuild? like a drenching or tip end of filter wetting? Are there any other signs of this top end rebuild issue? I just changed my filter and the far right end of it was saturated with oil but oil didn't spill out when i took off the case. After my air filter, oil , and sparks change she runs butter smooth and quiet as a whisper with new gasket.
a soaking of oil is cause for concern, sounds like your was just a normal service that was maybe a bit past due. service and inspecting the air filter every 2000 miles is a pretty good practice to do.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:50 am quote
Agreed, some oil is fine- the filter is soaked in it after all, and you don't know how much the previous owner put on it, or how full he left it after the last oil change. Too much oil in the crankcase comes out the breather, which is in the airbox.

But taking my bike for example- I had a small crack on the piston land, and the air filter compartment would drip oil from the back after only 100 miles of hard riding. Maybe 200 ml (nearly a cupful). It was a mess. Normal engine wear will also cause more blow-by, but you shouldn't have to worry about that for years. You'll know when it's time- you'll be adding oil after every second ride.

Some accumulation of oil is normal in the airbox of a one-cylinder 500 cc motorcycle, especially after a long hot run of freeway speeds. Just check it often, and keep it about half full on the dipstick.

Klaborde has the "rule of 5's", which keeps oil consumption to a minimum: Use only 1.5 liter (half full on the dipstick) of 10w50 or 15w50 and keep it under 5000 RPM. I usually break the last rule, but my airbox has been dry after my rebuild.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:12 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
Agreed, some oil is fine- the filter is soaked in it after all, and you don't know how much the previous owner put on it, or how full he left it after the last oil change. Too much oil in the crankcase comes out the breather, which is in the airbox.

But taking my bike for example- I had a small crack on the piston land, and the air filter compartment would drip oil from the back after only 100 miles of hard riding. Maybe 200 ml (nearly a cupful). It was a mess. Normal engine wear will also cause more blow-by, but you shouldn't have to worry about that for years. You'll know when it's time- you'll be adding oil after every second ride.

Some accumulation of oil is normal in the airbox of a one-cylinder 500 cc motorcycle, especially after a long hot run of freeway speeds. Just check it often, and keep it about half full on the dipstick.

Klaborde has the "rule of 5's", which keeps oil consumption to a minimum: Use only 1.5 liter (half full on the dipstick) of 10w50 or 15w50 and keep it under 5000 RPM. I usually break the last rule, but my airbox has been dry after my rebuild.
So this doesn't look like a good sign for me. It's leaking through air filter seal. This is about 30 min after 1hr 30min commute.

Side note if anyone has a method to those screws...spending 15 min on one screw trying to get it to thread is excruciating.

drip.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:53 pm quote
nktwrk wrote:
So this doesn't look like a good sign for me. It's leaking through air filter seal. This is about 30 min after 1hr 30min commute.

Side note if anyone has a method to those screws...spending 15 min on one screw trying to get it to thread is excruciating.
from this pic I don't see any oil dripping down the outer cvt cover which would indicate airbus oil.

I do see the build on the end of the air box that is extremely dirty.

also on the screws for the outer air box, get a magnetic tipped phillips head #2. this aids in starting the screws when you put them back in, just a gentle feel when starting them to ensure you get them started into the hole first before tightening them up. use the same screw driver to remove of course.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 2016
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 am quote
I put on the parking brakes n cable tied the rear brake to hold the rear wheel.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:06 pm quote
nktwrk wrote:

If that's all you got after 90 minutes of riding, then no problem. That's not bad at all, if the airbox isn't completely sealed. Mine would have a pool of oil the size of a dinner plate. But check your oil often anyway.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:08 am quote
Thanks for the info guys!

Nurdo - get that Stebel installed

* we cleaned up the wires and added water protection.

https://youtu.be/nIWSFupT-LQ

Stebel install, instructions and diagram used credited to users in this post

MP3 500 Stebel Horn Install Instructions
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 am quote
As far as the screws, yank the whole air box off and lay it on it's side on an old front tire. Now screws are easier to line up and you can do your throttle body service too.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1658s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0281s) ][ Debug on ]