Piaggio MP3 350 - front brake issue?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 350
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:04 pm quote
Hi folks!

I tried to find a place to do my introduction but I didn´t find any topics related.
I was born in Lisbon but I lived my early years in Boston, MA - USA.
Since I remember, I always wanted to ride a bike and after a few bikes in the past ...I owened until last month a 2 stroke LML 150cc with more than 100000km that I sold and already regretted!
I never had any issues all over the years with any bike I owened but now that I bought the awesome Piaggio MP3 I have doubts about its front braking system that is making me uneasy.
Where I bought the scooter are closed for holidays and I start wondering if this is a real problem or just my imagination because the two wheel architecture ?!
Still in the run in period, the bike has 400km, but I feel something odd when I brake only with the front break - always feel a very weak braking and when the bike is almost stop and if I push hard on the front lever I feel that the motorcycle slips to the left side ... when I use both brakes I feel that the braking is somehow off-balance compared to the foot brake which makes the braking more effective and stabilized.
I already check the tire pressure and everything is ok as the manual guide.
Any tip or advise are more than welcome!
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Pedro.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:36 pm quote
That sounds bad.

I suspect that the right rotor has gotten some grease or oil on it, and the brake pad is now slipping. Or maybe both rotors have been contaminated, since you say that the front brakes are weak. Usually, the brakes on the MP3 are very strong, with the front brake being much more powerful than the rear.

You should take it into the dealer immediately. Or if you do it yourself, you should replace the pads on both front brakes and clean the rotors carefully with brake cleaner to remove every speck of oil, then don't even touch them with your fingers while reassembling.
MP3 350
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:58 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:
That sounds bad.

I suspect that the right rotor has gotten some grease or oil on it, and the brake pad is now slipping. Or maybe both rotors have been contaminated, since you say that the front brakes are weak. Usually, the brakes on the MP3 are very strong, with the front brake being much more powerful than the rear.

You should take it into the dealer immediately. Or if you do it yourself, you should replace the pads on both front brakes and clean the rotors carefully with brake cleaner to remove every speck of oil, then don't even touch them with your fingers while reassembling.
Thank you for the input!
Unfortunatley the dealer went on vacations, reopening in the last week of August.
Yesterday, I pass throw the dealer and the mechanic take the scooter for a few miles and advised me to do more miles and at the first service they would check the entire system and bleed the front brakes a bit!?
To them, the front brakes are always weak in this particular bike?! Strange in fact...
Let see what happen in the next weeks...
Cheers,
Pedro.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 pm quote
The front brakes should be strong enough to stop very fast.
If the fronts feel less than the rears, there is something wrong.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 pm quote
find an open road with no traffic, go do some hard braking exercises to really scrub the pads. probably 7-10 times.

say start around 30mph and progressively squeeze the brake to a stop. DO NOT jerk pull the lever. squeeze progressively hard.
MP3 350
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 am quote
Folks,
many thanks for your opinions.
I will follow for the moment the ‘old as dirt’ advise.

Best regards and enjoy the ride.
Pedro.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 am quote
Pedro72 wrote:
Folks,
many thanks for your opinions.
I will follow for the moment the ‘old as dirt’ advise.

Best regards and enjoy the ride.
Pedro.
if there is anything on the pads or disc this should clean and scrub in or bed the pads pretty good to eliminate that as an issue.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:00 am quote
They would only need to bleed the brakes if air got into the system somehow. And with only 400 Km on the bike, everything should be nearly new.

You can tell if air is in the system- the handle will be very mushy; you can pull it all the way in, and "pumping" the brake will make the handle feel harder. If that's the case, then you may just need to bleed the brakes after all. The handle should only pull in a little bit and it should feel hard.
MP3 350
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 pm quote
Thanks folks!

Cheers,
Pedro.
MP3 350
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:31 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:
They would only need to bleed the brakes if air got into the system somehow. And with only 400 Km on the bike, everything should be nearly new.

You can tell if air is in the system- the handle will be very mushy; you can pull it all the way in, and "pumping" the brake will make the handle feel harder. If that's the case, then you may just need to bleed the brakes after all. The handle should only pull in a little bit and it should feel hard.
Squeazel,
forgot to mention - i notice that the braking pads are too far from the disc, more or less 1 cm!!! Never saw a gap like that...........
Maybe this is also what is affecting the braking power?

Cheers,
Pedro.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:29 am quote
Pedro72 wrote:
Squeazel wrote:

Squeazel,
forgot to mention - i notice that the braking pads are too far from the disc, more or less 1 cm!!! Never saw a gap like that...........

Cheers,
Pedro.
yes it is because you have to squeeze the lever a bit extra to shrink that gap prior to them contacting, thus your brake lever is now 1/2 the distance or more closer to the hand grip and less throw for actual braking power.

this issue need to be addressed by the dealer as it is a new scooter.
MP3 350
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:26 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Pedro72 wrote:
Squeazel wrote:

Squeazel,

Cheers,
Pedro.
yes it is because you have to squeeze the lever a bit extra to shrink that gap prior to them contacting, thus your brake lever is now 1/2 the distance or more closer to the hand grip and less throw for actual braking power.

this issue need to be addressed by the dealer as it is a new scooter.
Hi,
I will compress the lever with a plastic zip this night.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Pedro.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:08 pm quote
Wow- if the pads are that far from the disk, then you probably have no front brakes at all! A full squeeze of the handle will only move the pads a mm or two. Check the reservoir and see if it has any fluid in it at all. If it's dry, then you'll need to fill it and then bleed both front brakes. The pads should only clear the disk by about a mm when the handle is retracted.

It the pad clears the disk by a full cm, then you might even be missing a pad. Take this back to the place you bought it. It's unsafe. Something is very broken.
MP3 350
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:
Wow- if the pads are that far from the disk, then you probably have no front brakes at all! A full squeeze of the handle will only move the pads a mm or two. Check the reservoir and see if it has any fluid in it at all. If it's dry, then you'll need to fill it and then bleed both front brakes. The pads should only clear the disk by about a mm when the handle is retracted.

It the pad clears the disk by a full cm, then you might even be missing a pad. Take this back to the place you bought it. It's unsafe. Something is very broken.
Thanks!
The fluid are ok in both brakes, the problem came from the bad assembly in the factory. This is not for sure the right pads forthis scooter! Please look the huge gap of the pads!!!

cheers

unnamed.jpg

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 pm quote
I can only see the backing plates for the pads, not the pads themselves in that picture. The distance looks about right for new pads.

Get a mirror and look up at the other side of the caliper.
MP3 350
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 pm quote
jimc wrote:
I can only see the backing plates for the pads, not the pads themselves in that picture. The distance looks about right for new pads.

Get a mirror and look up at the other side of the caliper.
Will done Jim.
Thank you!

Cheers
MP3 350
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm quote
Hi folks!

Problems are worst than i imagined
The braking is my best nightmare...
Now with 600km i smell a burn oil from the engine and leaks of burn oil dripping form the exaust and engine to the floor.
When I stop, at idle, it warms up and that smell of burned oil comes and the noise of the engine is diferent than the usual, it seems something is loose inside. Lots of engine power and the consumption are ok?!
I also noticed an indication of wrong fuel range in the trip computer...i have more fuel than apperars!?

Cheers,
Pedro.
MP3 350
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:05 am quote
[quote="Pedro72"]Hi folks!

Problems are worst than i imagined
The braking is my best nightmare...
Now with 600km i smell a burn oil from the engine and leaks of burn oil dripping form the exaust and engine to the floor.
When I stop, at idle, it warms up and that smell of burned oil comes and the noise of the engine is diferent than the usual, it seems something is loose inside. Lots of engine power and the consumption are ok?!
I also noticed an indication of wrong fuel range in the trip computer...i have more fuel than apperars!?

Cheers,
Pedro.[/

...oil with no signs of burn and at level. Coolant is also at
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3528s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0473s) ][ Debug on ]