Looking For Nearby Friends To Help With Belt/Roller Change
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
MP3 500
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm quote
Hi people~ It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum. Checked in here and there, but nothing like the beginning of the MP3 adventure. I'm in Gilroy, California. My dealership no longer provides service on MP3's, and my local guy that helped before has closed his business. So here I am with a new belt, sliders, and shoes for a transmission service, but having never done it before I'm quite trepidatious about doing it based on videos alone. If any forum members are reasonably close, say 20-40 miles from me, and can help me perform the service, please let me know. I'd truly appreciate the experience and gain confidence for future services. Thank you~
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:27 am quote
I'd suggest watching Mitch's MP3 videos again if you can't find a local person to help. You will need a few tools, a couple of them special- like a buzetti tool ($40) and a clutch drum holder ($10) for torquing things down after assembly. Plus a torque wrench, and an impact wrench makes it easy to disassemble everything, but a cheater pipe and breaker bar can work OK too. If you go slowly, making sure to keep the screws in order of removal or stuck through a cardboard template or something so you don't forget which one goes where, you'll do fine. And, of course, you can ask us here to help if you have any questions at all. Remember, it's kind of hard to screw things up permanently if you have the right tools and go slowly and don't get frustrated.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt2M_Fbbcf03hRIiBRxeDrrfTGbng9y3D
Hooked
MP3 500
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 am quote
I actually have the Buzetti tool, bought it some time ago in anticipation of this day's inevitability. Not familiar with the Clutch Drum Holder though. Any links to this would be appreciated. I have the proper size socket for the rear nut, but no impact wrench at the moment. I'm sure it's going to come to me doing this, just looking for some personal help if possible. Thanks for the reply Squeazal.
Hooked
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:57 am quote
Borrow an impact it will be much easier. You have a torque wrench to do it up?
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 am quote
Clutch drum holder does the same thing as the Buzetti tool, except for the clutch drum. But I just looked at Mitch's video, and there's no place to use it when torquing the clutch bell on the MP3. My bad. I need it for every other scooter I have, but the MP3 you just need a jack handle wrapped in a rag jammed into the back wheel. (!)

The two things to be most careful about:

1) Hold the variator closed while sliding it onto the shaft. Otherwise the sliders can flip and the variator will act wrong (RPM will be too high, slow takeoff, just bad transmission behavior)
2) Get the belt well into the clutch sheaves before putting any tools to the variator nut. If you try to tighten it too soon, you could pinch the belt and strip the variator face. Don't ask me how I know... ($75 and a week of no scooter!)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
Clutch drum holder does the same thing as the Buzetti tool, except for the clutch drum. But I just looked at Mitch's video, and there's no place to use it when torquing the clutch bell on the MP3. My bad. I need it for every other scooter I have, but the MP3 you just need a jack handle wrapped in a rag jammed into the back wheel. (!)

1) Hold the variator closed while sliding it onto the shaft. Otherwise the sliders can flip and the variator will act wrong (RPM will be too high, slow takeoff, just bad transmission behavior)
2) Get the belt well into the clutch sheaves before putting any tools to the variator nut. If you try to tighten it too soon, you could pinch the belt and strip the variator face. Don't ask me how I know... ($75 and a week of no scooter!)
DO NOT use a jack handle wrapped sticking thru the rear wheel. BAD advise.

use the proper offset box end wrench to hold the nut and then use the 10mm socket attach to a torque wrench and reverse torque the shaft to the nut.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm quote
Actually, that's what the little 10 mm end is for, to torque the nut it attaches to, but there is a danger of snapping it completely off. Then you'll need the jack handle.

Really, it's more likely to snap it off by trying to take the nut off than by torquing it- use an impact wrench on the nut to remove it, torque it back on by holding the nut and torquing the shaft with the little 10 mm hex section on the end.
Hooked
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 am quote
I sheared off the small 10mm end it has no strength at 90nm
Using an impact to get off and the rear brake there has been no problems.
Using the torque wrench to do up again against the brake.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:31 am quote
I like this video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85_u6xw0i7k
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:37 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Squeazel wrote:

DO NOT use a jack handle wrapped sticking thru the rear wheel. BAD advise.

use the proper offset box end wrench to hold the nut and then use the 10mm socket attach to a torque wrench and reverse torque the shaft to the nut.
Or set the parking brake and squeeze the rear brake.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2302s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0649s) ][ Debug on ]